Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328ix
bird poop and clear coat damage

trying to remove a spot of bird poop on the hood was very difficult and yes the car has been polished and sealed -was but few months back
anyway, there appears to be permanent damage to the clear coat.

ive used scratch remover, buffer marks remover liquid to no avail.
its rough to feel and even shows in iphone picture
anyone every heard to such. i thought we had a harden clear coat.?

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Mustang with mods
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
Birds have strong acid content to digest all kinds of bacterial insects and whatever dirty stuff laying around. There is a 6 hour window from pooped to baked in the sun to clean off before the clearcoat is etched.

A rotary buffer with cutting pad and compound will work as it remove a layer of the clear. I always have a rag and a quick detail spray to wipe off bird **** when see it right away. People think im ocd but they dont know what damage will be done if left on.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
clear coat is just clear paint, nothing really special about it unlike Mercedes clear. A local shop should be able to take care of it for you, it just need a small layer removed and polished.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 08-15-2014, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328ix
ive been told that i have type 2 bird poop which fracture the clear all the way thru to the base coat
ive had cars set out for yrs and not have this problem

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Mustang with mods
Old 08-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
that is why I always care in my car a bottle of "Meguiar's Quik Detailer Mist & Wipe" and microfiber cloth.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porando View Post
that is why I always care in my car a bottle of "Meguiar's Quik Detailer Mist & Wipe" and microfiber cloth.
This is certainly better, but even a bottle of water and rag will do, for quick removal of bird poop. Anything is better than leaving it on your paint.

In terms of paint quality, some bird poop is stronger than others. I don't think any paint is immune; BMW, Mercedes, or any other.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
I keep a bottle of Detailing spray and a fluffy microfiber in the trunk for the inevitable bird bombs. Letting them bake in the sun is a death knell for the paint finish.

And yes, some birds poop is way more acidic than others. Best to not try to guess but get it cleaned off ASAP!!

That being said, one thing I've found helps mitigate the etching is to get the poop cleaned off without further scratching the clear coat, then spray pure isopropyl alcohol on the area liberally then cover with a cotton ball soaked in ipa and let it saturate for about 15-20 minutes. Rinse with water and then use a rubbing compound like Meg's 105. You can usually lift the etch and finish the polishing.

If this sounds like too much work, have a body shop or a reputable detailer do paint correction.

Just get the poop off asap and as gently as possible.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 08-15-2014, 05:53 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
BMW paint is a lot thicker, and IMO much more robust than econobox paints of Toyota, Honda, Mazda...

The worst off are dark paints, especially black. Heat accelerates the enzymatic breakdown of paint, and then there's the cycle of heat expansion and contraction of the paint which might trap in the damaging enzymes/acid.

Usually when I hear about a case that's really bad, it's with dark paint. You don't often hear about this happening with Alpine White, for example.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
I keep a bottle of Detailing spray and a fluffy microfiber in the trunk for the inevitable bird bombs. Letting them bake in the sun is a death knell for the paint finish.

And yes, some birds poop is way more acidic than others. Best to not try to guess but get it cleaned off ASAP!!

That being said, one thing I've found helps mitigate the etching is to get the poop cleaned off without further scratching the clear coat, then spray pure isopropyl alcohol on the area liberally then cover with a cotton ball soaked in ipa and let it saturate for about 15-20 minutes. Rinse with water and then use a rubbing compound like Meg's 105. You can usually lift the etch and finish the polishing.

If this sounds like too much work, have a body shop or a reputable detailer do paint correction.

Just get the poop off asap and as gently as possible.
I have been told that a 5% solution of sodium bicarb and water neutralizes the poop. Although lately, the idea of avoidance seems to have a certain appeal - white paint job for my next car.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
BMW paint is a lot thicker, and IMO much more robust than econobox paints of Toyota, Honda, Mazda...

The worst off are dark paints, especially black. Heat accelerates the enzymatic breakdown of paint, and then there's the cycle of heat expansion and contraction of the paint which might trap in the damaging enzymes/acid.

Usually when I hear about a case that's really bad, it's with dark paint. You don't often hear about this happening with Alpine White, for example.
Kind of hard to see the etching of clear coat with Alpine White. You could feel the etching before you saw it.