Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-16-2014, 12:50 AM

Mein Auto:
Prospective BMW owner

I'm looking at a very clean 2006 330i. I've gone to the Internet for vehicle history and have read tons of negative reviews on this car, particularly for the lack of reliability. I really like the car, but can't afford a car that constantly needs to go to the dealer. Any advise/thoughts ya'll can share I'd appreciate!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2014, 01:08 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFest View Post
I'm looking at a very clean 2006 330i. I've gone to the Internet for vehicle history and have read tons of negative reviews on this car, particularly for the lack of reliability. I really like the car, but can't afford a car that constantly needs to go to the dealer. Any advise/thoughts ya'll can share I'd appreciate!

HERE

DIY -or- HONDA
Old 08-16-2014, 01:12 AM

Mein Auto:
Lol...is that an affirmation that BMWs are maintenance whores?

Old 08-16-2014, 01:18 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Lol...is that an affirmation that BMWs are maintenance whores?

Prudence. Choose with your circumstances in mind.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive
Quote:

If you don't want a car with reliability issues, an 8 year old car with a roundel on the hood should not be on your shopping list.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:17 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:

I really like the car, but can't afford a car that constantly needs to go to the dealer. Any advise/thoughts ya'll can share I'd appreciate!
I know all the service advisers at my BMW dealer by name.

Buy a Toyota or Lexus.
2008 E91 station wagon 21K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, Dunlop Winter Sports on car.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 08-16-2014, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto:
This is really disappointing. The 330i has fewer miles than Hondas I've looked at, is much more stylish, comfortable and totally out performs. But from the sounds of things here...and what I've read on some reviews, they're poor quality. How's does a company like BMW with its reputation for high end cars make junk? My appointment at the dealer is in a few hours...any success stories out there?

Old 08-16-2014, 05:37 AM
RobDB

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I bought an 06 330i w/ sport suspension in June. 76,000 mls. & very nice condition overall. Water pump quit after 1 mo. Dealer picked up some of repair cost. All else is good. I use as a daily driver and am loving the car.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto:

Old 08-16-2014, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
I've driven several BMWs to a high-mileage end game and when traded the dealers were able to sell them off - even with 120K miles + ... (well I don't remember what happened to my '86 - that went the donation route with 200K-300K miles.)

My advice is that ANY 8 year old used car is a gamble so shop slowly (don't worry about the dealer telling you he's got 10 buyers begging for the car - they all say that) and insist on an independent qualified mechanic to do an inspection - it may be the best $100 you'll spend! Try to obtain any and all service records - should be easy if it's at a BMW dealer. And tell the dealer that the cost of any needed repairs will be deducted from his asking price. And - don't let the dealer pad the price by selling you some after-market warranty. You can probably find one via a forum member/sponsor at a better price. BUT DO INSIST ON A (Minimum) 30 DAY GUARANTEE - AT NO CHARGE!

That's my advice and I'm stickin to it!

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Shop thru MrRebates for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!
Mr. Rebates
Old 08-16-2014, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: '06 325i 6MT Sport Pkg
You can save some money on servicing by staying out of the dealership and finding a good independent shop that knows BMWs. You can save more by doing any work you can yourself. (Seriously, almost anyone can change lightbulbs and filters, at least.)

If you have a prospective car's maintenance history available there are also some common issues that you can check for repair of recently. The electric water pump (and thermostat) are an easy one. Mine died at 50K and that doesn't seem to be too unusual. Oil leaks are another common one, often because the aluminum bolts on these engines can snap. I've had to have my valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket replaced in the last year, and narrowly missed a head gasket job due to a snapped bolt. My ignition coils also started acting up around 75K, requiring replacement.

They're nice cars, but as was already stated by others, an older BMW, and especially an '06 3-series (first model year of the e90) is probably not going to be a good choice if running costs are a concern. $1-2K/year in overall maintenance/repair costs probably isn't unreasonable to expect, and might be low in some cases.

By the way, if you do pursue this car, I agree that a pre-purchase inspection by a qualified independent mechanic who knows these cars is a must. As for their reputation, I think some of it is based on their past products and some of it is simply based on how they drive. Mine never seems to be 100% and yet I still like it better than virtually anything else I've driven.

Last edited by R608; 08-16-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi524td View Post
I've driven several BMWs to a high-mileage end game and when traded the dealers were able to sell them off - even with 120K miles + ... (well I don't remember what happened to my '86 - that went the donation route with 200K-300K miles.)

My advice is that ANY 8 year old used car is a gamble so shop slowly (don't worry about the dealer telling you he's got 10 buyers begging for the car - they all say that) and insist on an independent qualified mechanic to do an inspection - it may be the best $100 you'll spend! Try to obtain any and all service records - should be easy if it's at a BMW dealer. And tell the dealer that the cost of any needed repairs will be deducted from his asking price. And - don't let the dealer pad the price by selling you some after-market warranty. You can probably find one via a forum member/sponsor at a better price. BUT DO INSIST ON A (Minimum) 30 DAY GUARANTEE - AT NO CHARGE!

That's my advice and I'm stickin to it!
It is at a dealer, but I am dealing with a friend. So the dealer "pressure and tactics" aren't there. I'm just battling myself! I want this car, it's sexy, sporty, comfortable...I love it, but it simply isn't practical! But like you said, any 8 yr old car is a gamble. And I'll go one further, any used car is a gamble! I'm hoping that after this meeting in a cpl hrs I'm posting pics of my new ride. I've always been a BMW fan but from the outside lookin in. I want to change that.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive
Quote:
It is at a dealer, but I am dealing with a friend. So the dealer "pressure and tactics" aren't there. I'm just battling myself! I want this car, it's sexy, sporty, comfortable...I love it, but it simply isn't practical! But like you said, any 8 yr old car is a gamble. And I'll go one further, any used car is a gamble! I'm hoping that after this meeting in a cpl hrs I'm posting pics of my new ride. I've always been a BMW fan but from the outside lookin in. I want to change that.

It isn't that the cars are necessarily "poor quality". I think most would agree that they suffer from over-engineering. They are precision built to the point that they are quirky. Simple things like a battery change are complicated. Too many sensors and electronically monitored parts and a reputation as the "Ultimate Driving Machine" that encourages many BMW drivers to drive them aggressively.

If you find an '06 that an independent shop does a PPI on and they say that it looks perfect.....you might be ok buying it. All a responsible BMW owner can say is "buyer beware" but "buyer enjoy!".