Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-16-2014, 01:36 AM

Mein Auto:
X3 2d emissions light on

Hi, could any one give me some advice please. I bought my 2008 2d x3 with a auto guard warranty.
3 days later the emission light came on and when it's cold it seems to be missing, also when driving.
The light later went off and came back on. The car is better at idling when warmed up.
Will the warranty company fork out or will I have to get the garage I bought it at to fix the problem. Also any ideas what it could be, I'm gutted after buying my dream car.

Kind regards john

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2014, 03:43 AM

Mein Auto:
Just had a diagnostic test came up with
Glow plugs 2,3&4
Maf
Dpf
Cleared the faults and came back with only glow plugs

Old 08-16-2014, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 3.0d X3, 2009
The engine control computer measures the resistances of the glow plugs to tell if they are OK. If you can compare the resistance of plug 1, for example, with 2,3 or4 to see if any differences. If that's too hard, just slightly shake the plug connector to see if that fix the intermittency.

For the DPF, it's quite possible it has developed a fault after so many years. BMW uses passive DPF so if you normally do low speed driving, the rpm is below 1500, it's likely the PDF will get clogged up and regenerative control is not sufficient to revive the filter. My one clogged up at 55000 Kms as I had done a lot of city driving and the rpm was normally 1200. The fix is either replace the DPF or get it cleaned.

The way to test DPF: Transmission at P position, clear all fault codes, start the engine and rev it over 3500 rpm, stop the engine, check the fault code again, if the DPF and back pressure fault code appear again, replace the DPF.

The way to clean the DPF: Spray some engine bay detergent into the DPF and leave it for 5 minutes, use a high pressure water jet to spray water from the DPF outlet towards the inlet with different angles until no more carbon sludge coming out of the DPF inlet. then dry the DPF with heat. I dried it on a BBQ as long as the temperature is not higher than 700 C. My one has 0.4 kgs of carbon removed
Old 08-16-2014, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks very much for your reply, you seem extremely knowledgable with the x3.
The diagnostic test cleared the dpf and maf and just remained with glow plugs.
I've got it booked in for this Wednesday at autobahn in Hexham northumberland so I'm hoping its just to get the glow plugs changed.
I've also got a auto guard warranty which I'm hoping will cover the cost or I will be asking the garage to fork out as I've only had the car less than 2 weeks.
This is my 2nd x3, I really enjoy the drive, just gutted me with a problem so soon after purchase.
The guy that did the diagnostic test was very good and checked the car was running ok in all other areas which it was. That was a big relief.
Thanks for your response this is my first time.

Kind regards john