Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2004, 06:04 AM
Woody Woody is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Irvine, Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 309
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5
Aux input for Ipod

OK so I just bought a 2004 X3. I have searched this board & other forums & I can't find my answer:

So can I hook up a Blitzsafe aux adapter to where the CD changer goes? I pulled out this adapter from my 2001 325i & want to use it on my new car. Do I have to buy the BMW aux adapter & hook up to the back of the radio or buy the BMW iPod hook up?

Sorry, I know this iPod thing has been beaten to death!!
__________________
Woody



BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-19-2004, 06:17 AM
nzDave nzDave is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: VT
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 76
Mein Auto: 323i
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use your Blitzsafe the same way it was used on the 325. Unless the X3 has a DSP radio, you just need to find out were the CD changer port is located. Some models have a connection for a glove box mount. maybe it is behind there if it's not in the trunk area.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2004, 06:28 AM
Woody Woody is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Irvine, Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 309
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5
On an X3 the CD changer goes in the front center console. I would rather find out for
sure before I remove the whole center console & can't do what I want to do.
__________________
Woody



BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-19-2004, 09:11 AM
sfca-325i sfca-325i is offline
humanum est errare
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 653
Mein Auto: which day is this?
There's no way to tell without calling Blitzsafe. Blitzsafe's online application guide doesn't yet list the X3. Perhaps if you were to call them and ask for the X3 part number, you could confirm it is the same part number as adapter from your 325.
__________________

David


2004 e83 3.0, 2003.5 e46 M3 Cic, 2008 e9x 335xia, 2008 Sienna XLE Limted AWD
========================
Gone: 2006 B7 A4, 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L RES
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Woody Woody is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Irvine, Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 309
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5
Well, let me answer my own post .

Yes it works. The X3 has the same cd changer wiring that has been used forever by BMW & as usual was hard to find the bundled up wiring under the front center console assy.

Right now I have more time than money (not to mention an old style iPod w/o dock connector) so I removed the whole front center console assy. & connected the Blitzsafe aux adapter to the cd changer wires & then ran my RCA cables up through the armrest assy. along with the phone pre-wiring for the eject box & can now access my iPod from the very top opening of the front center console armrest!! If I had a new style iPod & $150 (if they are even available-last time I checked there was a month backorder list-I would have installed the iPod connector from the rear of the radio to the glovebox & take advantage of the song title display. This will do for now.

Oh yeah, I also did another mod. too, I removed the stock airbox & installed a cone style K & N filter before the air mass meter.

2 mods done & it will be a week old tomorrow (Sunday).
__________________
Woody



BMW CCA Member

Last edited by Woody; 11-20-2004 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-23-2005, 11:05 AM
andrewayre andrewayre is offline
Registered User
Location: Oakland, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2012 X5
So, were you able to use the wires from the phone assembly to connect switchable power? If so can you tell me how to do it...? If not, any other suggestions for switchable power...?

Thanks!

Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
Well, let me answer my own post .

Yes it works. The X3 has the same cd changer wiring that has been used forever by BMW & as usual was hard to find the bundled up wiring under the front center console assy.

Right now I have more time than money (not to mention an old style iPod w/o dock connector) so I removed the whole front center console assy. & connected the Blitzsafe aux adapter to the cd changer wires & then ran my RCA cables up through the armrest assy. along with the phone pre-wiring for the eject box & can now access my iPod from the very top opening of the front center console armrest!! If I had a new style iPod & $150 (if they are even available-last time I checked there was a month backorder list-I would have installed the iPod connector from the rear of the radio to the glovebox & take advantage of the song title display. This will do for now.

Oh yeah, I also did another mod. too, I removed the stock airbox & installed a cone style K & N filter before the air mass meter.

2 mods done & it will be a week old tomorrow (Sunday).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Woody Woody is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Irvine, Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 309
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewayre
So, were you able to use the wires from the phone assembly to connect switchable power? If so can you tell me how to do it...? If not, any other suggestions for switchable power...?

Thanks!

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

No. I just ran the RCA cables from the blitzsafe unit up along with the bundle of phone wires. I have to charge my iPod via the cigarette lighter.
__________________
Woody



BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-24-2005, 07:12 PM
andrewayre andrewayre is offline
Registered User
Location: Oakland, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2012 X5
Hi Woody -

I found this link,

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=12

tested the pin outs to make sure they were the same. Connected a radioshack accessory adapter and now have switched power in the center console. Just picked up the aux input from the dealer, which I'll run to the center console. Should have a pretty clean Ipod solution in the center console in the next day or so...

Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
Hi Andrew,

No. I just ran the RCA cables from the blitzsafe unit up along with the bundle of phone wires. I have to charge my iPod via the cigarette lighter.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Woody Woody is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Irvine, Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 309
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5
Andrew,

Cool! I would definetly like to see pics when you are done. Please list the radioshack part# that you are using.
__________________
Woody



BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-30-2005, 08:39 AM
andrewayre andrewayre is offline
Registered User
Location: Oakland, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2012 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
Andrew,

Cool! I would definetly like to see pics when you are done. Please list the radioshack part# that you are using.
Hey Woody -

No pics yet, but here's my post in another forum with part numbers, etc.:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=16

Andrew
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How is aux input sound quality? equ Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech 5 10-29-2004 05:13 PM
Aux Input Question solsurfr Do-It-Yourself H.Q. 4 09-10-2004 05:52 PM
woohoo, first mod: aux input adapter KrisL 3 Series / 4 Series 3 07-10-2004 08:14 PM
Any news on AUX input for My2003 desiguyincali 3 Series / 4 Series 1 10-05-2002 10:03 PM
Adding AUX input to 2k2 HK system RAY330i 3 Series / 4 Series 8 08-03-2002 11:34 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms