Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-17-2014, 04:48 AM
RobDB

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Run flat vs non run flat

I recently purchased a 2006 330 i with sport suspension. I realized shortly after I bought the car the tires had been replaced and it no longer has the run flats. It has 18 inch PZero non run flats on it. I've read that the run flats give a harsh ride. I was wondering what the difference was, if any, between the run flats and non run flat tires in terms of ride. Thanks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2014, 04:50 AM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Just as you say, the runflats give a harsher ride, especially with the sport suspension.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:36 AM
Better with Butter

Let me add one more thing. And this is just a guess on my part, but I suspect that the runflat tires also add to the car's rear end skipping around with bumps in corners.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
non run flats=
RFT=
Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 AM
RobDB

I appreciate the response. One more thought. In a few months because I'm in the northeast I plan to take off the summer tires and put on 17 inch rims with snows all around. I expect with the standard radials rather than low profiles the ride will be somewhat softer. I love the sport suspension but have mixed feelings about the low profiles with some of the roads we have here. Best.

Last edited by Robert Batesole; 08-17-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:34 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
This has been discussed here at length.

I found that the sports suspension and RFTs on my E93, while fine in South Florida, made the car for all practical purposes undriveable on the ravaged roads of the North East. I bent 4 rims and destroyed 8 tires in potholes.

Not only was the ride overly harsh the car handled poorly on anything other than pristine road surfaces as it was easily unsettled and the rear end would hop around.

I got rid of the RFTs which was a big improvement. I later replaced the OEM shocks with Koni FSDs and found that it transformed the car as handling improved noticeably, ride quality improved dramatically and rear end hop was reduced by an order of magnitude.

I now have the "Ultimate Driving Machine" I thought I bought.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 08-18-2014, 02:54 AM
RobDB

Great to hear, thanks.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330XI, 11 X5 35d
Run-flats are garbage. Expensive, feel heavy, humming noises. Don't know why BMW is pushing them.
Better to get rid of those horrible tires and get some Michelin Pilot Super Sports (Non-RFT) perferably !
Old 08-18-2014, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i sport wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW318i_E36 View Post
Run-flats are garbage. Expensive, feel heavy, humming noises. Don't know why BMW is pushing them.
Better to get rid of those horrible tires and get some Michelin Pilot Super Sports (Non-RFT) perferably !
Get the Michelin PSS, it is remarkable how much better the car rides and handles!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:02 PM
RobDB

It has Pirelli PZero non RTF. Are the Michelin PSS better?

Old 08-18-2014, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i xDrive
I had PZeros and Michelin PSS' on my Volvo V70 R and the Michelin's were quieter, more compliant and stickier. The PZeros may have lasted a little longer, but the trade-off was worth it in my opinion. When my run flats run their course, I'll be getting the non-rft PSS' again.

Ken
Old 08-18-2014, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330XI, 11 X5 35d
What's the life on the Michelin PSS?
Could they last atleast 50,000km on a 330xi?
Old 08-19-2014, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i xDrive
I generally got 3 seasons out of them, rotating between summer and winter tires. I had the summers on from mid-April to early November and I averaged about 25,000 miles on the PSS' over that time period. They are not meant to be long lasting, but sticky performance tires, and they just don't last as long, which is the trade off. Of course your driving style and the weather are factors. Drive them in the cooler months and they won't last as long, or be safe, especially below 40 degrees. My Volvo was all wheel drive as well, so that helped.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
My 2011 base suspension E93 supposedly has updated suspension to better handle RFTs, and I've never had any complaints with them on mine. Prior to that though, yes there's probably good reason and well discussed here as to why to switch to non RFTs. A buddy has a few years old Mini Cooper S with RFTs, same exact brand and type as mine just different size, and wow they're unbelievably harsh on the same roads where mine are still smooth. So very important that the suspension is designed around the RFTs from the start. BMW didn't quite get it right the first time around.

HR&G Full Review: 2014 F33 428i M-Sport Convertible (my side auto-journo gig)
Old 08-19-2014, 06:30 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
My 2011 base suspension E93 supposedly has updated suspension to better handle RFTs, and I've never had any complaints with them on mine. Prior to that though, yes there's probably good reason and well discussed here as to why to switch to non RFTs. A buddy has a few years old Mini Cooper S with RFTs, same exact brand and type as mine just different size, and wow they're unbelievably harsh on the same roads where mine are still smooth. So very important that the suspension is designed around the RFTs from the start. BMW didn't quite get it right the first time around.
The later model years of the E9x had some suspension changes compared to the earlier model years. A few years ago I test drove a 335is and found that the ride was less harsh than my 2007 335i with sport suspension as it came from the factory but still not as good as my 335i with Koni FSD dampers and non run flats.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Batesole View Post
I appreciate the response. One more thought. In a few months because I'm in the northeast I plan to take off the summer tires and put on 17 inch rims with snows all around. I expect with the standard radials rather than low profiles the ride will be somewhat softer. I love the sport suspension but have mixed feelings about the low profiles with some of the roads we have here. Best.
It is what I will do this winter. I'm fed up with m sport suspension, 18" and winter, and that is without runflats. You can't run your summer tires here in snow anyway. I have M+S 18" which is OK grip-wise but not bounce wise when it is very cold.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Better with Butter

Another vote for the NON-runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I run them for my summer set, and they're quite good--smooth and relatively low noise. Very good grip too.

As an aside: I'm probably going to switch out my remaining two winter tires (in my winter set) to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3s. While only mediocre in the white stuff, they're still light years better than the PSS summer rubber in the cold, and it would be kind of nice to
a) have all four tires matching, and
b) have the option of keeping the AS/3s on for more/all of the year, on my significantly lighter winter wheels.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i sport wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW318i_E36 View Post
What's the life on the Michelin PSS?
Could they last atleast 50,000km on a 330xi?
The warranty says 40k miles, which should be over 50,000km but we will see. I now have 8k on mine and they still look new. Time will tell.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:20 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
I had an x-drive, 2006 330

It had runflats
Yes when you hit potholes your teeth jarred. It was more than the tires, it was also the shocks.

When you eventually upgrade/change your shocks, go to the Koni FSDs. Captain Audio loves them and says it made his car driveable

I would go with the Koni's and the RFTs...unless you want to keep a spare in your trunk...your very very small trunk.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:10 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon3 View Post
The warranty says 40k miles, which should be over 50,000km but we will see. I now have 8k on mine and they still look new. Time will tell.
Careful. That warranty for the tires will not work out and is not valid if you have staggered tires (wider in the back than the front). You cannot rotate them and in most cases the suspensions that have staggered tires will lean a bit so that the inside wears more.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
Careful. That warranty for the tires will not work out and is not valid if you have staggered tires (wider in the back than the front). You cannot rotate them and in most cases the suspensions that have staggered tires will lean a bit so that the inside wears more.
True ... when I had the super sports mounted on my car [staggered sizes] the tire shop told me that Michelin cuts the mileage warranty in half because they can't be rotated.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:07 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborascal View Post
True ... when I had the super sports mounted on my car [staggered sizes] the tire shop told me that Michelin cuts the mileage warranty in half because they can't be rotated.
It's not just that. They will give you trouble even with that half lifetime if there is more wear on the inside. The fine print says you aren't supposed to do... well what the M-sport cars do.

Also, I am not optimistic about getting the warranty on the tires that you got on the car. There's probably more fuzz there.

Finally, the prices for OEM tires in the OEM sizes tend to magically go up when lease returns for that tire and that size are current. I experienced all that with my wife's Mazda, who thankfully didn't lease so we just put Pirellis on and were done. But the lease returners who bought the same car as my wife at the same time got screwed big time.