Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-17-2014, 06:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Is it time for a water pump class action suit?

Surprised someone has not already picked up the torch and started a class action suit.

It seems they fail unusually early and at a very high rate of failure on the earlier cars - mine failed not that long ago at 20k miles (but 6 years old). Since the car has no temp gauge, you just get a light on the dash to tell you it is overheating and a warning on idrive, by the time you read the warning, it changes from yellow to red (literally less than 10 seconds between yellow and red) then tells you to pull over and reduces engine power to about 1% - it actually happens so quick it is dangerous and should give you a little more warning.

I suggest people file a complaint https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml if you have had a failure, especially if it created an unsafe condition.

Last edited by roadkillrob; 08-17-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Surprised someone has not already picked up the torch and started a class action suit.

It seems they fail unusually early and at a very high rate of failure on the earlier cars - mine failed not that long ago at 20k miles (but 6 years old). Since the car has no temp gauge, you just get a light on the dash to tell you it is overheating and a warning on idrive, by the time you read the warning, it changes from yellow to red (literally less than 10 seconds between yellow and red) then tells you to pull over and reduces engine power to about 1% - it actually happens so quick it is dangerous and should give you a little more warning.

I suggest people file a complaint https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml if you have had a failure, especially if it created an unsafe condition.

What's needed here is an FDriller special: How exactly are these pumps failing?

I've heard o'motor winding failure. May or may not! Who got good data? If, should be possible to detect breakdown and predict total fail a la 2001, that Space Odyssey, from reflected energy blips along the winding where impedance markedly changes.

A test run's needed and you're just the guy to do it! Recommend: Round trip to Seligman, AZ, with data recorder. Yo! When you arrive, chow's waiting for you here - their motto: "You kill it; we grill it"

Old 08-17-2014, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
I don't remember seeing/ hearing about that many WP failures on the e9x models. i remember it on the e46 models. N4S
Old 08-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
I don't remember seeing/ hearing about that many WP failures on the e9x models. i remember it on the e46 models. N4S
The pumps on the N54's are starting to drop like flies - seem to be several new threads a week about it - seems like most people have in the 60-80k on their car. The pump itself has been redesigned twice and is more reliable and less of a problem on the newer cars. It fails as often if not more often than the e46 did at about the same mileage or less but is about a $1200 repair instead of $400 on an E46 and the e46 failed a little less abruptly and didn't cut all the power to the car.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:57 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
As a data point BMW has not built a reliable water pump since the E36 came out for the 6 cylinder engines. Most fail at 60-90K miles and these are mechanical pumps for the E36 and E46. This is nothing new for those of us that have owned the 3 series for well over 20 years. Surprising no but disappointing yes...
Old 08-17-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
As a data point BMW has not built a reliable water pump since the E36 came out for the 6 cylinder engines. Most fail at 60-90K miles and these are mechanical pumps for the E36 and E46. This is nothing new for those of us that have owned the 3 series for well over 20 years. Surprising no but disappointing yes...
So true, I just miss the price of the mechanical one and the less dramatic way it wore out!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Random Helpbot

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
It seems they fail unusually early and at a very high rate of failure on the earlier cars - mine failed not that long ago at 20k miles (but 6 years old).
Not trying to be argumentative, but I thought I recalled that you have a GIAC tune on your car. Isn't the water pump motor a variable speed unit, and wouldn't a tune cause the pump to generally work harder due to increased temps?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Water pump failure on BMWs is nothing new. It's also not really a safety hazard.

I've seen these pumps either fail electrically or from the magnet casing cracking/swelling, seizing the impeller.

I understand the car gives you little warning to stop and pull over, but it doesn't engage the brakes or anything. You can still coast off to the side.

Most people complain when they are in the left lane and the car cuts power. If people are driving how they are suppose to be, with multiple car lengths between them in the left lane at 75 mph, then this will give ample time for people behind you to react and for you to pull over.

The problem comes when people hog the left lane and people taillight gate so they can pass. But when your pump fails and your in front, you obviously don't have room to slow down or the ability to accelerate. Fault is on both parties but if people would just stay out of the lane except when passing, this wouldn't happen nearly as much as it does.

Ever notice these cases are mainly US based? If you go to other European forums, it's not as common for people to complain about being trapped in the left lane. Why? Because people know how to drive in Europe...they understand the concept of keeping right except passing.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 08-18-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
I just checked Consumer Reports, and yes WP failure is quite common. But then I looked up my old Toyota RAV4 and guess what? Water pump failure common on those too at the same age, along with the Camry, etc. Big deal.

And yes, so many things would work so much better here in the U.S. if people would just STAY TO THE RIGHT on highways unless passing. Driving in Germany was a real eye-opening experience as to how things can and should work.

HR&G Full Review: 2014 F33 428i M-Sport Convertible (my side auto-journo gig)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:27 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
I just checked Consumer Reports, and yes WP failure is quite common. But then I looked up my old Toyota RAV4 and guess what? Water pump failure common on those too at the same age, along with the Camry, etc. Big deal.
Also, some Japanese cars have the water pump exchanged by default when they change the timing belt. It's one procedure. Hopefully it is done regularly.

So it isn't quite fair to compare one of those to a BMW where you don't do that sort of thing.

I also wonder where the "cuts power" comes from. I think it'll happily run with the "coolant level low" warning light. The temperature gauge might or might not reflect a problem. Of course you ruin the engine if you continue driving but I don't think that the engine switches off.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Modern engine gets hot quickly than older engines

Water pump technology has not kept up with engine technology... ( heat exchange)

We just have to wait
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: '14 F32 435i
08 E92 335i:

My WP failed at ~50 K miles when it was ~6 years old......just barely merged onto highway and the yellow then red lamp popped on. Lost engine power and limped to side of the road.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
Also, some Japanese cars have the water pump exchanged by default when they change the timing belt. It's one procedure. Hopefully it is done regularly.

So it isn't quite fair to compare one of those to a BMW where you don't do that sort of thing.

I also wonder where the "cuts power" comes from. I think it'll happily run with the "coolant level low" warning light. The temperature gauge might or might not reflect a problem. Of course you ruin the engine if you continue driving but I don't think that the engine switches off.
The DME will disable throttle input when the engine is about to over heat, which is when the red symbol shows up.

It doesn't cut it completely, but you can basically only idle.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Class Actions should be on :

1. Faulty Steering Lock
2. ABS Module

Both items are shxt... they fail as early as 25,000km
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 08-18-2014, 05:52 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post

And yes, so many things would work so much better here in the U.S. if people would just STAY TO THE RIGHT on highways unless passing. Driving in Germany was a real eye-opening experience as to how things can and should work.

There was an infamous Mustang 'round Salinas a few years back....known by his vanity plate: KEEP RT

He'd floor it in the right lane to get ahead of anyone in the left, the e-a-s-e right in front of them for effect. Notice taken, he'd activate his right turn signal....wait for it!!!....2 seconds later, angry lurch to the right!

Yup, that showed 'em, subject of much amusement in local bars. Never did find out who the poor slob was - coulda been CHiPs - they do stuff like that and observe, or condition, drivers. Nope, not kidding. Wondering: How'd that play in Germany?