Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-17-2014, 10:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
anybody install a tracking device?

daughter is taking the 2010 X3 to college this semester and for a variety of reasons I want to be able to determine where the vehicle is. Bought a tracking device which plugs into the OBD port and uses cell service to communicate with your computer every ten seconds. Same system used by cab services. Anybody have any experience with this? Just curious if there are any issues, ie with using the OBD port or something else I havent thought of? thanks
Old 08-17-2014, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
First I would be curious able who would want to steal a 5 year old car when it's lasted fine so far. Second I would be curious about how you think they can steal it without the keys. Third I would wounded how you will start the car when the tracking device drains the battery one weekend. Fourth I would wonder why you wouldn't just throw an old smartphone in the glovebox and use the Find My Phone feature if you ever need it. Fifth and finally I would be curious if you would even want it back after it had been stolen and driven around by morons.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:38 PM

gotta love the internet. Joylove are you seriously asking me why would anyone steal my car? Cause there are criminals in the world perhaps? Anyway it is not as an antitheft/retrieval of the car issue. Joylove I cant even understand the first sentence of your post. Ignoring that, do you have any teenager children? Specifically any teenage daughters? Ok-- lets just say sometimes they dont do exactly what they say they will do. I want to know where the car is -- lets just leave it at that, K? - anyone with any experience with these devices have any answers? Thanks

Last edited by cubed; 08-17-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550I Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed View Post
daughter is taking the 2010 X3 to college this semester and for a variety of reasons I want to be able to determine where the vehicle is. Bought a tracking device which plugs into the OBD port and uses cell service to communicate with your computer every ten seconds. Same system used by cab services. Anybody have any experience with this? Just curious if there are any issues, ie with using the OBD port or something else I havent thought of? thanks

I have the car connection pro by Audiovox which is used in conjunction with my remote start. I've had absolutely no issues.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
PedalBox 3rd Generation
Old 08-17-2014, 06:07 PM

interesting ... am I correct in assuming that it does not connect to your OBD II port? or does it?
Old 08-17-2014, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550I Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed View Post
interesting ... am I correct in assuming that it does not connect to your OBD II port? or does it?

It is connected.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
PedalBox 3rd Generation
Old 08-17-2014, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3; E83 3.0i
Lol. Glad you were/are not my parent.

Last edited by iamjamen; 08-17-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: X3
If it plugs into the OBD port it can be taken out. Does your daughter know you want to track her?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:08 AM

she will know. She is not at all mechanically savvy. Even so if she unplugs it, it will go dead and I'll know something is up. Still debating using it. But my gut tells me I should. If she uses the car for the reason she has it (iie to drive to the stable so she can ride and not to visit her boyfriend in DC) then there will be no issues.