Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-17-2014, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 330i M-Sport Conv.
Smile E93 USB Retrofit

So, firstly, apologies if this is just another duplicate thread that's been answered many times before, but for whatever reason I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. Possibly because there are so many starting points...

What I want to be able to do, is store an iPod/USB HDD in the car (probably in the armrest) which I can dump music onto periodically and control from the iDrive.

I have a 2007 E93 330i with Bluetooth phone and the business phone prep (cradle under the armrest jobby). I can pair and make calls from my phone via Bluetooth etc. and have never made use of the cradle, nor do I have whatever archaic Nokia device fits in the currently installed adaptor.
I've looked under the floor in the boot and I have the TCU box, but no MULF which I understand would be underneath it.

If I buy a MULF2 High Basis SVS (off eBay probably), what else would I need to be able to achieve my goal?
Some people talk about a USB Hub in the passenger footwell, while others seem to suggest this isn't needed.
Also, I'm guessing there are some cables/harnesses required to link the MULF2 to the rest of the electrics. I'm guessing the signal to the head-unit goes over the MOST ring, but where does the MULF get it's power from?

If anyone's done a retrofit like I'm trying to, I'd be very greatful for any part numbers I should look up.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2014, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 320d
i'm not sure how useful this is to you, but I've installed a retrofit USB socket in the armrest successfully.

I have the professional radio, no idrive. On the back of the head unit is a white USB socket. So pull your radio out and have a look. I actually have the prof radio with bluetooth and amp built in. So no external amp or other gubbins.

So I installed a USB/AUX socket in the armrest and fed the cable through to the radio, plugged the USB cable into the USB socket on the back of the HU. Its not a normal usb socket, its a white round one.

I then recoded the car using NCS Expert. I added $6FL to the VO and hen reset the radio module. USB eventually appeared as an input on my radio. I also added +IPOD to the VO for ipod support. works great. You do need to change the production date of the car in the VO but do not write this back to the car, it's just to fool NCS in to coding the 6FL - depending on the year of your motor.

End result, I have a USB stick plugged in with all my music on it in the arm rest. No HDD, no USB hub, just a simple USB device or my iphone, ipod or what ever. Can control via steering wheel controls too.

Hope that helps. Just don't write a new production date to the car or you will f@@@ a load of stuff up.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 330i M-Sport Conv.
Thanks for the post

I'm pretty sure the Bluetooth etc. in mine runs from the TCU in the boot, so not sure this is an option for me.

I'm close to buying the MULF2 and just getting stuck in, but I'm concerned about how to run the TCU and MULF2 in parallel.
Also, there seem to be a whole load of different MULF2 part numbers, so other than it needing the USB connection, I have no idea which one I should go for.

Finally, others seem to find it very tricky to get hold of the wiring harness. While I'm probably more than capable of making my own, I'd much rather do it with the proper BMW kit.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 320d
afaik, 6fl is just usb retrofit. bluetooth is either 6nn and has a module in the boot or it is built in to the radio. there will be a bluetooth label on the top of the headunit if the latter.

i couldn't find a usb cable long enough to connect the usb socket in the armrest to the back of the radio so i had to cut, solder and extend it with a cheap usb cable. works a treat. but that is just a usb cable so quite simple. I'd go for OEM wiring for anything more complex.