Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 AM

Mein Auto:
BMW X3 sDrive in rain

Snow is not an issue where I live In the Southern US but rain might be. Anyone here with experience with the rear wheel drive RWD 2015 BMW X3 28i? Why should or shouldn't I get the xDrive and/or 35i? Safety is my concern.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 AM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
The AWD vs FWD debate is a never-ending one. The 2nd axle power is only good when the primary one (read in BMW's case) loses traction. When braking, BOTH machines are equal, and in the rain you are relying on your brakes, not on your AWD capabilities. Just my 2c.

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
AWD does provide more traction in the rain, bit in my opinion, not enough to justified the extra cost and weight. As far as the 6 cylinder engine, you need to drive both and compare for yourself. If your driving style does not take advantage of the extra HP then the 4 cylinder is fine.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330cic
AWD will definitely make a deference especially in the rain when taking turns on mid speeds or higher, also on areas where the asphalt is no of the best quality and uneven terrain.

Now in regards to engine type:

In my opinion as long as the extra cost doesn't hurt or cause a possible divorce, it's always beneficial to have the extra power for when you most need it than not to have it at all.

Also think about the sound the 35i does compared to the 28i and last if ever your intention don't forget resale value!

If you're completely comfortable getting the larger engine, get it and I guarantee you will not regret ever getting the 35i.

At the M-Sports package to this engine and you'll be smiling ear to ear each time you take it out of your driveway!

Good luck with your purchase.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
I suggest AWD. I have one and live in Atlanta and would never consider the 2 wheel drive version.

I find AWD to stick incredible in the rains here and I have had plenty of RWD cars that don't (328i, mustang). For the bit of bad weather we actually get here its nice to have AWD. If you ever head up to the mountains and do any hilly gravel roads or bad weather it pays nicely to have AWD. Also if you do long drives to snowy weather, you want AWD.

And most importantly, my wife likes it and wants to assurance of AWD over 2 wheels. When she's happy . . .

Sent from my SM-N900P using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-19-2014, 08:12 AM
Turbo Addict

Mein Auto: '14 X3 28i
I drove a RWD 335i for several years, in all sorts of weather here in the northeast. During heavy downpours, it was one of the best cars I've ever driven. Even more stable than my heavier, AWD X3. I attribute this to two things:
- stability control helps keep oversteer on turns when accelerating, to a minimum
- tires, tires, tires. My Michelin Pilot SP2 summer tires were absolutely incredible, especially in the rain

So, yes, AWD might help a bit in the rain, but tires and stability control are more important, in my opinion.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28d
I've had a RWD car for nearly 11 years. With rain, the only time I've encountered any problems is when it just starts, and the rain hasn't washed the oils off the road yet. So, for me, I wouldn't necessarily get the AWD for the rain. Extra expense and maintenance. I got it for 2 reasons. The diesel only came with it. And for the occasional winter storm.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNY View Post
I drove a RWD 335i for several years, in all sorts of weather here in the northeast. During heavy downpours, it was one of the best cars I've ever driven. Even more stable than my heavier, AWD X3. I attribute this to two things:
- stability control helps keep oversteer on turns when accelerating, to a minimum
- tires, tires, tires. My Michelin Pilot SP2 summer tires were absolutely incredible, especially in the rain

So, yes, AWD might help a bit in the rain, but tires and stability control are more important, in my opinion.
Imagine how good your X3 AWD would have been in the rain with Michelin Pilot SP2 summer tires.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto:
Unfortunately, I can't convince my other half to get the 35i due to cost.

It sounds like AWD is a definite nice to have but not a must for living in general pleasant weather area.

RichNY: Why did you switch from a 335i to an X3? What tires do you have on the X3 - the Michelin Pilot SP2 summer tires?

Old 08-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Turbo Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutosca View Post
RichNY: Why did you switch from a 335i to an X3? What tires do you have on the X3 - the Michelin Pilot SP2 summer tires?
Only one reason - space. I needed more space and my E90 wasn't cutting it. I love my X3, but miss my E90 335i, too.

I have the OEM Goodyear LS2 tires on the X3. Ok in dry, ok in wet, terrible in snow, but they are all seasons, so I guess I can't expect much. Average tires at best. Note that these are 19" tires on the M-Sport.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Turbo Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Imagine how good your X3 AWD would have been in the rain with Michelin Pilot SP2 summer tires.
Fair enough. I guess I just made my point because those were OEM tires on my 335i, so I was comparing stock to stock performance in the rain and attributing at least a portion of the 335i's rain performance to the Michelins. Stock to stock, the 335i was more stable in the rain, so RWD vs. AWD wasn't, in my case, the primary determining factor for rain performance. All else equal, I'd guess AWD cars would outperform RWD in low traction situations.

If SP2's or similar we're mounted to an X3, I expect it would be pretty great in the rain.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
Quote:
Snow is not an issue where I live In the Southern US but rain might be. Anyone here with experience with the rear wheel drive RWD 2015 BMW X3 28i? Why should or shouldn't I get the xDrive and/or 35i? Safety is my concern.

We live in the Phoenix and the past week we have been hit with more rain then we have gotten in the last couple of years. I have a 320i (really a loaner) with all the rain and mud I haven't had a problem, with the elec nannies these cars have, they do a great job in the tractions department. We will be getting a sDrive X3 next year, never once thinking about a xDrive...

Old 08-20-2014, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks everyone! I've decided on a X3 328i sDrive. A Texas city dweller doesn't seem to call for 4WD, but it sure would've been nice to get a 35i.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 sDrive28i
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I've decided on a X3 328i sDrive. A Texas city dweller doesn't seem to call for 4WD, but it sure would've been nice to get a 35i.

Congrats! As a sunny SoCal city dweller, I made the same decision recently as well
Old 08-20-2014, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Great choice. We are having a great time with our sDrive down in Florida which is of course in the middle of rainy season.

Tires tires tires are the most important variable in the rain.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto:
Plainee - What kind of tires did you get up getting for your X3?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Pirelli Cinturato P7 245/50 R18
Old 09-06-2014, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks! My X3 should be coming in a week or so. Should I try to get new tires from the dealership so it just comes with nicer ones up front or are the stock ones suitable for now. The stock are apparently Goodyear or Pirelli. I need to check the specifics from my sales guy.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Whatever it comes with should be fine. In my opinion, it would be a waste of money swapping them at delivery for the exact same size tire in a different brand. They will probably bend you over on price!

Sent from my SM-N900P using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-07-2014, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28d
I drove through something other than a sprinkle for the first time with my xDrive. Drove pretty well, even through an inch of water on the road.

But, when driving through the puddles, and when it was coming down real heavy, I lost my front collision detection. Popped up a warning. I'm assuming some sensor couldn't read through the water.