Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:10 PM
M3AT LOVER

Mein Auto: F80 M3
Sir Loin's Silverstone F80 M3

Hi everyone. Been on other BMW forums, and now I am here on bimmerfest :-). Took delivery of my M3 1.5 weeks ago. Now I have over 1,000 miles on it. Here is a few quick thoughts and some pictures.

At 50 miles:
  • a few people said the doors are light. I feel they are pretty solid. They give a good solid "thunk" when closing them.
  • I kept kicking under the trunk to open it and it didn't work. Turned out the trunk was locked from the glove box
  • My car came without the cover holder cover. CA found one from a different car.
  • I really miss the GSP aluminum wide brake pedal that I had in my E46 M3. I hope someone will make one.
  • about 18MPG over 65 miles so far. I can see it does 26MPG on freeway around 65MPH.
  • the engine and the exhaust both pretty good to me. Good bass and some rumbling. But I don't think I am that picky.
  • the car rides very smoothly. They transmission shifts very smoothly. The family doesn't feel car sick. Good!
  • The speed is very deceptive. 65MPH feels like 40MPH.
  • HUD is a little distracting at the moment. Should get used to it soon. The whole car is distracting to me right now, really. Need to be one with the car!
  • I feel I sit very low. But I don't want to raise the seat. Need to adjust it the next few days to find a good position. A ton of headroom though. I am 5'8".
  • Almost got pulled over on my way home right after I took delivery. The cop shot the radar gun at me. I think I was doing 38 in a 35MPG zone, but he pulled the car that was 2 cars behind me. Gave me a good scare.
  • Just now on freeway a bike pulled up next to me, gave me thumbs up, and sped away.
  • LED headlights look as good as in pictures. But I haven't really looked at them from outside at night
  • The car is huge! I have an old Volvo XC70 and an Audi A3. The F80 feels like it is larger than the Volvo. It certainly is much larger than my old E46 M3. My spot in the garage is barely wide enough for the F80, whereas it was plenty wide for the old M3.
  • Yes, I tested the heated steering wheel and the heated rear seats. They work, even in the summer
  • the right side rear wheel arch is missing the protective film, the left side is intact though. I only discovered that when I got home. CA says he will look into it tomorrow.
  • The car arrived late last night, this morning during PDI, they found a punctured rear right tire. I was like, fuc.... A new tire would not be here until Monday, or earliest tomorrow if they overnight it. Luckily there is another M4 with black wheels. Crisis diverted.

At 400 miles:
  • I kept driving at 80+ mph while thinking I was going 60 mph.
  • The HUD looks a little fuzzy to my eyes. but if I sit higher up, it get sharper. May be it is my old eyes.
  • I am still not used to going from R to 1st gear or D. With my old E46 M3 with SMGII, from R, you'd pull the stick down, and the stick moves to the middle, and you are in 1st gear. Whereas with the F80 M3, from R, you pull the stick down, it goes to N first. I keep forgetting to move the stick to the right once to get it in gear, so I end up revving the engine in N instead of moving forward. I must have done this tens of times.
  • The Nav rebooted itself while I was driving on the highway. The car kept going, no problem there. I know it rebooted because the welcome screen came on and showed the disclaimer screen with the confirm button.
  • The Nav is fast, pretty much no wait/lag/delay as you move around its user interface
  • Love the surround cameras. I am pretty anal about parking right between the lines and try to very careful not to get curb rash on the wheels or front lip. The surround cameras make my parking job much stress free. Parallel parking is a breeze, even on the left side of the street on a one-way street. There are a lot of those one-way streets in Portland today.
  • The HK sound system sounds good to me. Streamed Pandora over bluetooth from my Lumia 1020 over 400 miles.
  • 2000 rpm, 7th gear, goes about 70mph IIRC.
  • Auto Start/Stop isn't annoying to me. But seems to only work if you are D mode, not manual mode
  • In the city I used some D mode, but on the highway I only used manual mode so I can cycle through the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th gears to vary speed during the break-in period
  • The brakes feel great. Very easy to modulate. Not grabby. Just right.
  • The steering is a tiny bit too thick for me
  • Discovered that I can put my 18-oz Hyrdo Flask in the door compartment, free up my cup holders for my phone instead.
  • Love the kick-to-open trunk release feature that comes with Comfort Access
  • Found out my front types are around 34 psi, while the rears are at 40 psi. Will need to check what psi they really should be at.
  • I can reply text with speech when I receive a text. But How do I activate Cortana or Siri from within the car?
  • The features that come with the Driver Assistance Plus package hasn't be a bother at all. They are actually pretty helpful for the long drive today.
  • I can't tell the differences between all the suspension and throttle response settings. they all feel the same to me. May be I sat in the car too long and my butt dyno got numb and couldn't feel anything.
  • Was going to hardwire my V1, opened up the casing above the rear-view mirror, then promptly put it back together and ordered the V1 Savvy kit instead.

Notes from a few days ago:
  • over 680 miles in 5 days. thoroughly enjoying the new car.
  • The HUD is clearer (not as fuzzy) if I sit higher up. I bet it really is my old eyes.
  • Not all USB sticks are compatible with the car's USB slot. I have an 8GB USB flash drive that doesn't work, but a couple of SD cards work over a USB SD card reader
  • MP3s and FLACs play find if I have a .m3u play list.
  • Can't get MP4 video files to play yet, even with a play list. Will have to try different file types.
  • I learned how to program the 8 buttons to do things. now one of them is to turn on or off the HUD. But it doesn't allow me to switch between M HUD layout and the regular HUD layout. If anyone knows, please let me know.
  • Thanks to Powaup, I can now activate Cortana on my Lumia 1020 phone via the voice button on the steering wheel.
  • I think the driver assistance plus is interfering with my Valentine One radar detector. K band is on quite often, especially when I am stationary. Turning the nannies off doesn't seem to actually turn of the sensors. My V1 continues to beep. I hope the speed limit with the Savvy addon will help. BTW, V1's web site and ordering system sucks. Hey V1, year 2001 called, it wants its ordering system back!
  • Now that I have used the driver assistance plus features, I don't mind them. It has saved me once already. I was trying the change to two lanes over to my right. I changed to the right lane fine, and need to move right one more lane. But the car behind me now didn't want me in front of him and he also cut right at the same time I wanted to move to right one more time. The yellow triangle on the right side mirror was on, and the steering wheel vibrated and I aborted my lane change immediately as the car behind me sped pass me on my right.
  • The steering wheel still feels a little bit too thick to me.
  • I am still not getting the DCT back in 1st gear after coming out of R.
  • First time driving the car back to work's underground parking garage. The car sounded pretty good in the underground parking
  • 23.1 mpg with probably 80% freeway miles.
  • I want to get a spare tire built following gregw's recipe.
  • I need to get a tow hook license plate holder. The US Millworks' looks a little funky. Waiting to see EAS' new design
  • Thinking about 2 mods, the CF front lip and the rear diffuser. Should go well with the dark wheels and CF roof. The chrome parts on the nose haven't bothered me much.

Edit: more pictures:
Took a few more pictures today.

_a__a2_
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2014, 06:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Color looks gorgeous. Enjoy it.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:03 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Nice.

FYI, if you have some USB sticks or memory cards that it doesn't like then try reformatting them from scratch (make a new filesystem). There are many variants of MS-DOS filesystems and not all devices read all variants.

Units > 32 GB can always be problematic in naive units, especially SD cards > 32 GB.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Mein Auto: YMB F82 M4 and RR Sport
Beautiful car Loin. Silverstone continues to grow on me.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Very nice. Welcome from the dark side.
ED pick-up 9/17/2014 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4~Black full Merino leather~Executive Package~Drivers Assistance Plus~Lighting Package~Adaptive M Suspension~19" Black Light-Alloy Style 437 wheels~Carbon Fiber trim~HK audio systems~6MT

Greta is for SALE. 2002 M5

Last edited by GBPackerfan1963; 08-19-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Diver_Up
Mein Auto: 335i M Sport package
[QUOTE=Sir Loin;8535146]Hi everyone. Been on other BMW forums, and now I am here on bimmerfest :-). Took delivery of my M3 1.5 weeks ago. Now I have over 1,000 miles on it. Here is a few quick thoughts and some pictures.

At 50 miles:
  • a few people said the doors are light. I feel they are pretty solid. They give a good solid "thunk" when closing them.
  • I kept kicking under the trunk to open it and it didn't work. Turned out the trunk was locked from the glove box
  • My car came without the cover holder cover. CA found one from a different car.
  • I really miss the GSP aluminum wide brake pedal that I had in my E46 M3. I hope someone will make one.
  • about 18MPG over 65 miles so far. I can see it does 26MPG on freeway around 65MPH.
  • the engine and the exhaust both pretty good to me. Good bass and some rumbling. But I don't think I am that picky.
  • the car rides very smoothly. They transmission shifts very smoothly. The family doesn't feel car sick. Good!
  • The speed is very deceptive. 65MPH feels like 40MPH.
  • HUD is a little distracting at the moment. Should get used to it soon. The whole car is distracting to me right now, really. Need to be one with the car!
  • I feel I sit very low. But I don't want to raise the seat. Need to adjust it the next few days to find a good position. A ton of headroom though. I am 5'8".
  • Almost got pulled over on my way home right after I took delivery. The cop shot the radar gun at me. I think I was doing 38 in a 35MPG zone, but he pulled the car that was 2 cars behind me. Gave me a good scare.
  • Just now on freeway a bike pulled up next to me, gave me thumbs up, and sped away.
  • LED headlights look as good as in pictures. But I haven't really looked at them from outside at night
  • The car is huge! I have an old Volvo XC70 and an Audi A3. The F80 feels like it is larger than the Volvo. It certainly is much larger than my old E46 M3. My spot in the garage is barely wide enough for the F80, whereas it was plenty wide for the old M3.
  • Yes, I tested the heated steering wheel and the heated rear seats. They work, even in the summer
  • the right side rear wheel arch is missing the protective film, the left side is intact though. I only discovered that when I got home. CA says he will look into it tomorrow.
  • The car arrived late last night, this morning during PDI, they found a punctured rear right tire. I was like, fuc.... A new tire would not be here until Monday, or earliest tomorrow if they overnight it. Luckily there is another M4 with black wheels. Crisis diverted.

At 400 miles:
  • I kept driving at 80+ mph while thinking I was going 60 mph.
  • The HUD looks a little fuzzy to my eyes. but if I sit higher up, it get sharper. May be it is my old eyes.
  • I am still not used to going from R to 1st gear or D. With my old E46 M3 with SMGII, from R, you'd pull the stick down, and the stick moves to the middle, and you are in 1st gear. Whereas with the F80 M3, from R, you pull the stick down, it goes to N first. I keep forgetting to move the stick to the right once to get it in gear, so I end up revving the engine in N instead of moving forward. I must have done this tens of times.
  • The Nav rebooted itself while I was driving on the highway. The car kept going, no problem there. I know it rebooted because the welcome screen came on and showed the disclaimer screen with the confirm button.
  • The Nav is fast, pretty much no wait/lag/delay as you move around its user interface
  • Love the surround cameras. I am pretty anal about parking right between the lines and try to very careful not to get curb rash on the wheels or front lip. The surround cameras make my parking job much stress free. Parallel parking is a breeze, even on the left side of the street on a one-way street. There are a lot of those one-way streets in Portland today.
  • The HK sound system sounds good to me. Streamed Pandora over bluetooth from my Lumia 1020 over 400 miles.
  • 2000 rpm, 7th gear, goes about 70mph IIRC.
  • Auto Start/Stop isn't annoying to me. But seems to only work if you are D mode, not manual mode
  • In the city I used some D mode, but on the highway I only used manual mode so I can cycle through the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th gears to vary speed during the break-in period
  • The brakes feel great. Very easy to modulate. Not grabby. Just right.
  • The steering is a tiny bit too thick for me
  • Discovered that I can put my 18-oz Hyrdo Flask in the door compartment, free up my cup holders for my phone instead.
  • Love the kick-to-open trunk release feature that comes with Comfort Access
  • Found out my front types are around 34 psi, while the rears are at 40 psi. Will need to check what psi they really should be at.
  • I can reply text with speech when I receive a text. But How do I activate Cortana or Siri from within the car?
  • The features that come with the Driver Assistance Plus package hasn't be a bother at all. They are actually pretty helpful for the long drive today.
  • I can't tell the differences between all the suspension and throttle response settings. they all feel the same to me. May be I sat in the car too long and my butt dyno got numb and couldn't feel anything.
  • Was going to hardwire my V1, opened up the casing above the rear-view mirror, then promptly put it back together and ordered the V1 Savvy kit instead.

Notes from a few days ago:
  • over 680 miles in 5 days. thoroughly enjoying the new car.
  • The HUD is clearer (not as fuzzy) if I sit higher up. I bet it really is my old eyes.
  • Not all USB sticks are compatible with the car's USB slot. I have an 8GB USB flash drive that doesn't work, but a couple of SD cards work over a USB SD card reader
  • MP3s and FLACs play find if I have a .m3u play list.
  • Can't get MP4 video files to play yet, even with a play list. Will have to try different file types.
  • I learned how to program the 8 buttons to do things. now one of them is to turn on or off the HUD. But it doesn't allow me to switch between M HUD layout and the regular HUD layout. If anyone knows, please let me know.
  • Thanks to Powaup, I can now activate Cortana on my Lumia 1020 phone via the voice button on the steering wheel.
  • I think the driver assistance plus is interfering with my Valentine One radar detector. K band is on quite often, especially when I am stationary. Turning the nannies off doesn't seem to actually turn of the sensors. My V1 continues to beep. I hope the speed limit with the Savvy addon will help. BTW, V1's web site and ordering system sucks. Hey V1, year 2001 called, it wants its ordering system back!
  • Now that I have used the driver assistance plus features, I don't mind them. It has saved me once already. I was trying the change to two lanes over to my right. I changed to the right lane fine, and need to move right one more lane. But the car behind me now didn't want me in front of him and he also cut right at the same time I wanted to move to right one more time. The yellow triangle on the right side mirror was on, and the steering wheel vibrated and I aborted my lane change immediately as the car behind me sped pass me on my right.
  • The steering wheel still feels a little bit too thick to me.
  • I am still not getting the DCT back in 1st gear after coming out of R.
  • First time driving the car back to work's underground parking garage. The car sounded pretty good in the underground parking
  • 23.1 mpg with probably 80% freeway miles.
  • I want to get a spare tire built following gregw's recipe.
  • I need to get a tow hook license plate holder. The US Millworks' looks a little funky. Waiting to see EAS' new design
  • Thinking about 2 mods, the CF front lip and the rear diffuser. Should go well with the dark wheels and CF roof. The chrome parts on the nose haven't bothered me much.

OMG,,,I LOVE that silver. My Baby Blue will be here in a couple weeks and hope it looks as good. If I saw your picture before ordering I would have gotten the silver. Everyone will know it's me when they see me in mine..no blue's here and the color is unique to only BMW so no chance of being discreet. The silver will allow that..Very professional looking.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:49 AM
M3AT LOVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStig View Post
Color looks gorgeous. Enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Beautiful car Loin. Silverstone continues to grow on me.
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
Nice.

FYI, if you have some USB sticks or memory cards that it doesn't like then try reformatting them from scratch (make a new filesystem). There are many variants of MS-DOS filesystems and not all devices read all variants.

Units > 32 GB can always be problematic in naive units, especially SD cards > 32 GB.
The one stick that doesn't work, I have formatted it between FAT32 and exFAT, neither worked. It is the controller in the memory stick that isn't compatible with iDrive's hardware/software. Other USB storage devices I tried work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver_Up View Post
OMG,,,I LOVE that silver. My Baby Blue will be here in a couple weeks and hope it looks as good. If I saw your picture before ordering I would have gotten the silver. Everyone will know it's me when they see me in mine..no blue's here and the color is unique to only BMW so no chance of being discreet. The silver will allow that..Very professional looking.
Thanks Diver_Up. There hasn't been many good Silverstone pictures. I think because of that people feel it isn't a very good color. But IRL it is one of the best, especially because it is a color exclusive to M cars, unless you pay up to get it with Individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPackerfan1963 View Post
Very nice. Welcome from the dark side.
Packerfan!!!11!!ONE!!11 So good to see you here! Aren't you getting your car soon? Another month?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Beautiful car!

Old 08-19-2014, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Loin. 7 posts. what a noob!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i M-Sport Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
- Well I guess the list of ex (or at least disguntled)-posters comtiues to grow!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Mein Auto: YMB F82 M4 and RR Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
- Well I guess the list of ex (or at least disguntled)-posters comtiues to grow!

Bring the whole team over.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-19-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
ED pick-up 9/17/2014 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4~Black full Merino leather~Executive Package~Drivers Assistance Plus~Lighting Package~Adaptive M Suspension~19" Black Light-Alloy Style 437 wheels~Carbon Fiber trim~HK audio systems~6MT

Old 08-19-2014, 05:10 PM
M3AT LOVER

Quote:
LOL! ikr?

This forum needs more traffic!

Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Thanks guys!

The one stick that doesn't work, I have formatted it between FAT32 and exFAT, neither worked. It is the controller in the memory stick that isn't compatible with iDrive's hardware/software. Other USB storage devices I tried work fine.

Thanks Diver_Up. There hasn't been many good Silverstone pictures. I think because of that people feel it isn't a very good color. But IRL it is one of the best, especially because it is a color exclusive to M cars, unless you pay up to get it with Individual.

Packerfan!!!11!!ONE!!11 So good to see you here! Aren't you getting your car soon? Another month?
Yes, we fly out in 4 weeks from today. I'm trying not to dwell on it.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, we fly out in 4 weeks from today. I'm trying not to dwell on it.
Well in 4 weeks I better be sitting right here :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabin.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	459462  
Old 08-19-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Well in 4 weeks I better be sitting right here :
You getting Amaro Brown?

Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
You getting Amaro Brown?
Yep, Full Individual - this image weirdly enough is from the www.bmwarchive.org site - very cool site - and appears to replicate my options to a tee in the pic. I was good 'til about this weekend but when I saw this after not looking at the configurator for a long time I started getting' antsy!!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Yep, Full Individual - this image weirdly enough is from the www.bmwarchive.org site - very cool site - and appears to replicate my options to a tee in the pic. I was good 'til about this weekend but when I saw this after not looking at the configurator for a long time I started getting' antsy!!
Beautiful interior!!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:36 PM

What was your camera set up for these pics?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 PM
M3AT LOVER

Quote:
What was your camera set up for these pics?
I shot these with my Canon 5D Mark II with a 24-105 4.0L lens. All pictures were shot in RAW format, and processed in Lightroom 4. I shoulda but didn't use custom white balance for color accuracy, especially for the interior shots. The camera's auto white balance does a pretty good job under natural lighting. Since it was sunny and bright, All shots were handheld, most shots were shot with low ISO, very fast shutter speed, and small aperture, except for the interior shots.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
I shot these with my Canon 5D Mark II with a 24-105 4.0L lens. All pictures were shot in RAW format, and processed in Lightroom 4. I shoulda but didn't use custom white balance for color accuracy, especially for the interior shots. The camera's auto white balance does a pretty good job under natural lighting. Since it was sunny and bright, All shots were handheld, most shots were shot with low ISO, very fast shutter speed, and small aperture, except for the interior shots.
THey look great! I've got the 6D and the same lens, but I'm a total noob - I hope I can come close to yours!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:12 PM
David Padgalskas BMW PDX

Mein Auto: '13 335i
Nice write up and beautiful car! I think I can answer a question...to activate Siri, hold down on the voice command button for five seconds. Enjoy!

BMW Portland
2001 SW Jefferson St.
Portland, OR 97201
503-548-1246
dpadgalskas@bmwportland.com
Old 08-19-2014, 09:33 PM
M3AT LOVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidP@bmwportland View Post
Nice write up and beautiful car! I think I can answer a question...to activate Siri, hold down on the voice command button for five seconds. Enjoy!
Yes, thanks. That works. I use Windows Phone. That brings up Cortana.

Quote:
THey look great! I've got the 6D and the same lens, but I'm a total noob - I hope I can come close to yours!
Thanks. I don't think I am any good. Composition is really key. I am very bad at that. The few tricks I learned are:
  • Shoot from afar, and zoom in with your lens. This way, everything is flattened with much less, if any at all, lens distortion. Most cell phone pictures are shot close up with cell phone wide angle lens and that's why they look goofy :-)
  • Don't stand in front of the car and shoot from eye level. Doing so you would see a lot of the hood. Shoot with the camera lower to the ground. That gives the car a better stance in the picture.
  • Shoot with a lot of lights, but overcast would be best. If shooting at night, use a tripod. If you must handheld, use higher ISO to get faster shutter speed.
  • When editing, I like using Lightroom to adjust exposure, bring out the shadow or black, adjust white and highlight, and adjust contrast and saturation to make the picture pop more and make the color closer to real life
  • Use custom white balance and shoot with a grey card or Whitbal if you want really accurate color reproduction.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Beautiful interior!!

Thx! If the amaro brown looks as good as in the pic I will be very happy. Will be a long 3+ weeks....

Old 08-20-2014, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Thx! If the amaro brown looks as good as in the pic I will be very happy. Will be a long 3+ weeks....

Amaro brown is an amazing color. I love it.