Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 F10 M5
Cool M Performance Exhaust Video

Not sure what everyone thinks. I like how loud it is, but oh god the cold start sounds just terrible. It actually magnifies the lawn mower sound even more. Also, the current exhaust has this problem where sometimes it sounds like it is about to fall apart under load. It's the "rattle" problem that is mentioned by many people now on the web which appears like it was by design for the cats to warm up. This one has the same issue and that particular rattle sounded worse to me.

I guess this car is never going to sound right no matter how much money I spend on it. For some reason, to me it sounds really immature and childish. Some people like it. To each his own.

Advertisement
Old 08-19-2014, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: e36 m3, X5, 74 2002
is it like the 135i PE? On the 135i it is the same muffler they remove the diverter valve and weld shut one of the tubes so it does not muffle half the flow
Old 08-19-2014, 08:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Diver_Up
Mein Auto: 335i M Sport package
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStig View Post
Not sure what everyone thinks. I like how loud it is, but oh god the cold start sounds just terrible. It actually magnifies the lawn mower sound even more. Also, the current exhaust has this problem where sometimes it sounds like it is about to fall apart under load. It's the "rattle" problem that is mentioned by many people now on the web which appears like it was by design for the cats to warm up. This one has the same issue and that particular rattle sounded worse to me.

I guess this car is never going to sound right no matter how much money I spend on it. For some reason, to me it sounds really immature and childish. Some people like it. To each his own.

Dude, you're killing me! That car sounded AWESOME! I love the idle..sounds like my boat. Even the rap of the throttle...Wonder how much this **** is going to cost me,,like I didn't spend enough for my F80 as it is.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver_Up View Post
Dude, you're killing me! That car sounded AWESOME! I love the idle..sounds like my boat. Even the rap of the throttle...Wonder how much this **** is going to cost me,,like I didn't spend enough for my F80 as it is.
Yeah, you are coming from 335i M sport, so you probably like it a lot. For me it sounds really immature and Japanese like. I guess once you drive a V8, nothing else ever pleases you. I hate how when I press the gas pedal, it sort of feels like I am tearing the internals of the car apart. It feels really weak to me. In the V8 (E9X or F10 M5), it gives you some level of confidence and maturity. It is such a unique sound.

Last edited by DerStig; 08-19-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Mein Auto: YMB F82 M4 and RR Sport
Quote:
Yeah, you are coming from 335i M sport, so you probably like it a lot. For me it sounds really immature and Japanese like. I guess once you drive a V8, nothing else ever pleases you. I hate how when I press the gas pedal, it sort of feels like I am tearing the internals of the car apart. It feels really weak to me. In the V8 (E9X or F10 M5), it gives you some level of confidence and maturity. It is such a unique sound.
Not true. I've owned an M Sport 335i, two E46 M3's, and three E9X's M3's......and having "owned the V8" doesn't detract from this car's sound. It just seems like you don't really like the car. First it's the traction control, now the car feels weak with failing internals and seems "immature". Are you sure you don't want to sell it and buy another E9X??? There is nothing weak or immature about this car. There is absolutely nothing that I miss about the E9X. Not the look. Not the sound. Not the feel. Not the tech. Nothing! Well I take that back. I DO miss the fact that the E9X had key memory settings and would read & download all CD's into the hard drive (..and allow you to rename them). The F3X and F8X don't allow that, so some of my favorite CD's cannot be imported. Other than that, the F8X is just a hoot!

P.S. There is nothing about 'sound' that gives you confidence (..or that should weigh on your confidence). This new car has loads of grip and steering accuracy. That's where the confidence comes into play.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 08-19-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Not true. I've owned an M Sport 335i, two E46 M3's, and three E9X's M3's......and having "owned the V8" doesn't detract from this car's sound. It just seems like you don't really like the car. First it's the traction control, now the car feels weak with failing internals and seems "immature". Are you sure you don't want to sell it and buy another E9X??? There is nothing weak or immature about this car.
It's not just me. Every friend of mine who has seen the car (including family members) have made the same comment. That it sounds "too much like Civic". And it does. It really does sound like a modified civic. Heck, a few CAs that I know who are hardcore BMW owners themselves even said they dislike the sound so do many of their customers. So it's not just me that is cooking this up.

I would also say that it is you who is the minority, who did not like the sound of V8 and prefer this sound over that. I think the common consensus everywhere is that if there is one thing the old car is better at is that it is the sound.

You also must have missed my response from the traction control thread where I said having the tires warm up beyond 110F made a huge difference. I did 9 consecutive runs that day with zero DSC issue and had such a blast. I don't believe the car has a traction control issue. Maybe it is the specific PSS tires they use for the M3 that takes a while to warm up and has to stay very hot for good traction? I'm not sure.

There are two things I dislike about this car:

1. Sound
2. Quality

I can certainly make my piece with #2, but #1 I just hate. I utterly hate. I think the car sounds atrocious. I will make a video of what I hate the most about it, but basically when the car is cold or just warming up, if you go above 4k RPM, the exhaust makes this extremely annoying rattle. It sounds like it's about to fall apart. It sounds like a person who just caught a cold and is about to lose his/her voice trying to scream. I think that's more like it and I hate hearing that everyday. I was hoping MPE or Akra would fix that, but both of them have that sound.

Just listen to this, how can you even compare this sound to the rice burner sound in OP? Do you honestly not find the below clip far better sounding than the M3 MPE?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Quote:
It's not just me. Every friend of mine who has seen the car (including family members) have made the same comment. That it sounds "too much like Civic". And it does. It really does sound like a modified civic. Heck, a few CAs that I know who are hardcore BMW owners themselves even said they dislike the sound so do many of their customers. So it's not just me that is cooking this up.
You know what they say......birds of a feather. Question, WHY did you buy the car if you didn't like how it sounded or were disatisfied? Sounds like poor judgment on your part.

Quote:
I would also say that it is you who is the minority, who did not like the sound of V8 and prefer this sound over that. I think the common consensus everywhere is that if there is one thing the old car is better at is that it is the sound.
Your reading comprehension fails you Stig. I never said that I DIDN'T like the sound of the V8 car. What I DID say is that I didn't miss it.

Quote:

1. Sound
2. Quality

I can certainly make my piece with #2, but #1 I just hate. I utterly hate. I think the car sounds atrocious. I will make a video of what I hate the most about it, but basically when the car is cold or just warming up, if you go above 4k RPM, the exhaust makes this extremely annoying rattle. It sounds like it's about to fall apart. It sounds like a person who just caught a cold and is about to lose his/her voice trying to scream. I think that's more like it and I hate hearing that everyday. I was hoping MPE or Akra would fix that, but both of them have that sound.

Just listen to this, how can you even compare this sound to the rice burner sound in OP? Do you honestly not find the below clip far better sounding than the M3 MPE?
I'm not a sound Nazi. I haven't purchased any ///M car because of how they sounded. I purchased them because of how they drove. The same applies to this car. It sounds raspy and tin-can-ish just like an E46 ///M3; a sound that I thoroughly enjoyed. FWIW, you're confusing the aural mechanical sounds of the V8 motor with the aural attributes of the F8X's exhaust. Most of the noise in the V8 car comes from the motor; the F8X's motor is far more quiet. The E9X's exhaust was unsatisfactory to many, many E9X owners, so let's not act like it was adored.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
You know what they say......birds of a feather. Question, WHY did you buy the car if you didn't like how it sounded or were disatisfied? Sounds like poor judgment on your part.

Your reading comprehension fails you Stig. I never said that I DIDN'T like the sound of the V8 car. What I DID say is that I didn't miss it.

I'm not a sound Nazi. I haven't purchased any ///M car because of how they sounded. I purchased them because of how they drove. The same applies to this car. It sounds raspy and tin-can-ish just like an E46 ///M3; a sound that I thoroughly enjoyed. FWIW, you're confusing the aural mechanical sounds of the V8 motor with the aural attributes of the F8X's exhaust. Most of the noise in the V8 car comes from the motor; the F8X's motor is far more quiet. The E9X's exhaust was unsatisfactory to many, many E9X owners, so let's not act like it was adored.
Listen, all of this is valid. And I guess that's why we say "to each his own". There will always be a guy who likes to put mayo on his fries or someone who likes a green M3 and in this case someone who prefers the turbo diesel sound over the V8. You are a minority though. Every 9 out of 10 people who love this car all agree that the previous car sounded much better. Both the engine note and the exhaust note.

And again, every single person around me, young or old, male or female, made the same exact comment. "It sounds like Japanese car". Unfortunately I am not surrounded by M fanatics who understands these cars and from outside it does sound terrible to average Joe. And believe it or not, we live in a society not in isolation. We are not in some Army barracks with M3 owners living in a mountain. I do drive this car in public and as much as I tell my self "I don't care about what others think", at some point it gets to you.

I would take the E-Race in the F10 M5 over the MPE in this car any day of the weak. It sounds much more masculine and unique. M3 sounds like a baby that was just born who is screaming his lungs out. The V8 is like the sgt major screaming at you.

I also don't buy cars for sound only. Otherwise I'd be driving a Ford or a Dodge. It's the whole package. But I realize more and more a good percentage of that package for me is sound. I don't track my cars, I don't go out to some "meets" with bunch of guys and drive around in the country for hours. I drive my car in the highway and city 99% of the time and the handling part of this car is not something you can fully appreciate in my case. That leaves you with sound and straight line performance.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Cali Highway Patrolling

M Performance Exhaust Video

Quote:
Listen, all of this is valid. And I guess that's why we say "to each his own". There will always be a guy who likes to put mayo on his fries or someone who likes a green M3 and in this case someone who prefers the turbo diesel sound over the V8. You are a minority though. Every 9 out of 10 people who love this car all agree that the previous car sounded much better. Both the engine note and the exhaust note.

And again, every single person around me, young or old, male or female, made the same exact comment. "It sounds like Japanese car". Unfortunately I am not surrounded by M fanatics who understands these cars and from outside it does sound terrible to average Joe. And believe it or not, we live in a society not in isolation. We are not in some Army barracks with M3 owners living in a mountain. I do drive this car in public and as much as I tell my self "I don't care about what others think", at some point it gets to you.

I would take the E-Race in the F10 M5 over the MPE in this car any day of the weak. It sounds much more masculine and unique. M3 sounds like a baby that was just born who is screaming his lungs out. The V8 is like the sgt major screaming at you.

I also don't buy cars for sound only. Otherwise I'd be driving a Ford or a Dodge. It's the whole package. But I realize more and more a good percentage of that package for me is sound. I don't track my cars, I don't go out to some "meets" with bunch of guys and drive around in the country for hours. I drive my car in the highway and city 99% of the time and the handling part of this car is not something you can fully appreciate in my case. That leaves you with sound and straight line performance.

It's unfortunate for you man. Sorry to hear that the car just isn't doing it for you. Fortunately it's a hot car, so you could consider selling it and buying something a bit more appropriate for your driving needs.

P.S. I'll say it again. I NEVER said that the previous car didn't sound better. I DID say that I don't miss it (...sound is much lower on my priority list). What I actually said and what you're asserting that I said are two very different things.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by M3Inline6; 08-19-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
It's unfortunate for you man. Sorry to hear that the car just isn't doing it for you. Fortunately it's a hot car, so you could consider selling it and buying something a bit more appropriate for your driving needs.

P.S. I'll say it again. I NEVER said that the previous car didn't sound better. I DID say that I don't miss it (...sound is much lower on my priority list). What I said and what you're asserting are two very different things.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I tried trading it, but I'm looking at a 10-12k loss. Just does not make sense. Going to have to man up and stick with it for at least a year and maybe get a used M5 then. I learned a valuable lesson though and I am paying for it dearly
Old 08-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Cali Highway Patrolling

Quote:
I tried trading it, but I'm looking at a 10-12k loss. Just does not make sense. Going to have to man up and stick with it for at least a year and maybe get a used M5 then. I learned a valuable lesson though and I am paying for it dearly
I don't think you'd take that big of a hit this early in the game if your car has low miles.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I don't think you'd take that big of a hit this early in the game if your car has low miles.
Oh believe me I do. I tried 4 dealerships, all came back within 1-2k same figure. If sold it privately, I could get more but then I dont get the tax credit. If I trade it at a dealership, I pay sales tax only for the amount that is equal to the difference of sales price of the new car minus the trade amount. All in all, it does equal to at least 10k of loss
Old 08-19-2014, 02:24 PM
M3AT LOVER

Mein Auto: F80 M3
DerStig, something is wrong with your car. You should definitely get rid of yours. My M3 sounds perfect. Love the low frequency grunt and the rasp. There is no rattle, nothing sounds like it is falling apart. Is this what people call "color blind", but for the ears?
Old 08-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Quote:

You also must have missed my response from the traction control thread where I said having the tires warm up beyond 110F made a huge difference. I did 9 consecutive runs that day with zero DSC issue and had such a blast. I don't believe the car has a traction control issue. Maybe it is the specific PSS tires they use for the M3 that takes a while to warm up and has to stay very hot for good traction? I'm not sure.

1. Sound
2. Quality

Then don't ****ing buy one. Move on. Case closed, troll somewhere else.

2015 Yas Marina Blue M4~Black full Merino leather~Executive Package~Drivers Assistance Plus~Lighting Package~Adaptive M Suspension~19" Black Light-Alloy Style 437 wheels~Carbon Fiber trim~HK audio systems~6MT
Old 08-19-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
DerStig, something is wrong with your car. You should definitely get rid of yours. My M3 sounds perfect. Love the low frequency grunt and the rasp. There is no rattle, nothing sounds like it is falling apart. Is this what people call "color blind", but for the ears?
You just got your car pal, give it 3000 miles and let the hype die down. Let a stingray or a e-race/vt 625 e92 roll up right next to you and gun it and hear him drive away then come back and say you still like the rice burner.

There is nothing wrong with my car. When the car is cold, the exhaust is trying to warm up the cats or whatever the hell, there is some explained process going on. I am not the only one who noticed this.

Do this, when car is cold. Put it in sport plus throttle, accelerate past 4k rpm aggressively. You will hear it.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPackerfan1963 View Post
Then don't ****ing buy one. Move on. Case closed, troll somewhere else.
Oh I'm sorry. I must like this car to post in this forum? Is there such a rule? I bought this car and I dislike the sound. I share my thoughts. Cant handle it? Tough life, welcome to Internet.

Sorry for upsetting everyone who is drinking the ///M koolaid.

And as I said, if I can find a way that doesnt result in me losing 10k, I will trade out of this car.

Last edited by DerStig; 08-19-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:32 PM
M3AT LOVER

Quote:
You just got your car pal, give it 3000 miles and let the hype die down. Let a stingray or a e-race/vt 625 e92 roll up right next to you and gun it and hear him drive away then come back and say you still like the rice burner.

There is nothing wrong with my car. When the car is cold, the exhaust is trying to warm up the cats or whatever the hell, there is some explained process going on. I am not the only one who noticed this.

Do this, when car is cold. Put it in sport plus throttle, accelerate past 4k rpm aggressively. You will hear it.
So you ARE the *Stig that got banned at least twice on the other forum. You problem is this:

Quote:
when car is cold. Put it in sport plus throttle, accelerate past 4k rpm aggressively.
Who in their right mind would beat the car up while it is cold? Have you heard the saying "if it hurts, don't do it"? If you hate it sooo much, please go sell your car, and GTFO. Or just enjoy it for what it is, not what it isn't.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 PM

A person buys a car.
He doesn't like the car.
He is bashed and attacked.

What am I missing here? Have I said anything wrong or insulting? I dont have to like everything about this car. And last time I checked this is a public forum and there is freedom of speech. Why are you guys taking all of this so personal? Is it hurting your pride? Do you work for BMW?

You dont realize that by attacking me from all of these angles you all look childish and aggressive. It is okay for people not to like something you love so dearly. To each his own. You cannot call me a troll just for sharing my thoughts.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M4 Convertible
Quote:
So you ARE the *Stig that got banned at least twice on the other forum. You problem is this:

Who in their right mind would beat the car up while it is cold? Have you heard the saying "if it hurts, don't do it"? If you hate it sooo much, please go sell your car, and GTFO. Or just enjoy it for what it is, not what it isn't.

+1+1 Interesting fact re his history! Kinda glad I missed this thread 'til now as I have purposely being avoiding this negative nelly , Advised the guy to go back to his beloved M5 or whatever he prefers and stop bitching endlessly about the M4 - apparently thick-skinned simply does not describe this problem - "to each their own indeed"!!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:48 PM
M3AT LOVER

Quote:
A person buys a car.
He doesn't like the car.

What am I missing here? Have I said anything wrong or insulting? I dont have to like everything about this car. And last time I checked this is a public forum and there is freedom of speech. Why are you guys taking all of this so personal? Is it hurting your pride? Do you work for BMW?

You dont realize that by attacking me from all of these angles you all look childish and aggressive. It is okay for people not to like something you love so dearly. To each his own. You cannot call me a troll just for sharing my thoughts.
Nope, not attacking you at all. If you feel people are attacking you, then may be what we said have hurt your pride and make you feel you look childish and aggressive. On Bimmerpost, here, you just sound like a broken record. I get it you are so sick of your new car. You feel you made a mistake buying the car. You got duped. Cool, get on with your life. Do something about it, exercise the lemon law, sell your car, take a hit, buy something else that you think is perfect.

But stop being a victim.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Nope, not attacking you at all. If you feel people are attacking you, then may be what we said have hurt your pride and make you feel you look childish and aggressive. On Bimmerpost, here, you just sound like a broken record. I get it you are so sick of your new car. You feel you made a mistake buying the car. You got duped. Cool, get on with your life. Do something about it, exercise the lemon law, sell your car, take a hit, buy something else that you think is perfect.

But stop being a victim.
You got 5 posts in this forum of which 4 of them are for me. Did you just sign up for me?
Old 08-19-2014, 04:11 PM

I am stuck with this car for a while. I am anxiously waiting for e-race with catless dp. If that fixes some of my issues, I'll stick with it. If not, i'll take a hit and trade this car in.

Its not like I hate the entire car. I love a lot of things about it.

Everyone needs to relax. It is okay for people to buy this car and not like certain things about it. Since I actually paid for it and am not hypothesizing here....
Old 08-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Quote:
A person buys a car.
He doesn't like the car.

2015 Yas Marina Blue M4~Black full Merino leather~Executive Package~Drivers Assistance Plus~Lighting Package~Adaptive M Suspension~19" Black Light-Alloy Style 437 wheels~Carbon Fiber trim~HK audio systems~6MT
Old 08-19-2014, 04:48 PM

I think this thread has served its purpose. I am out.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 PM
M3AT LOVER

Quote:
You got 5 posts in this forum of which 4 of them are for me. Did you just sign up for me?
Oh wow! You really are full of yourself. Obviously, I am here for GBPackerfan. I am his propeller hat!