Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-19-2014, 09:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Porsche Macan Review By Consumer Reports

I know that some of the car people make fun of the left wing, tree hugging, pink panty wearing, male geeks (and female, comfortable shoe wearing, fatties) that work for Consumer Reports. I do too because they're such an easy target. BUT, I'm a marketing executive and know how product reviews work. I won't go on a long rant here- I've done that elsewhere on Bimmerfest. I trust CR over all the others combined because they accept very limited advertising. I've also noticed in recent years that they've been more objective when rating/reviewing luxury vehicles. Check out their recent reviews about X3s and 911s. I felt they used to place emphasis on gas mileage and safety, and gear their reviews more towards the masses. No more! I dare say they actually might have some people working there that don't keep a copy of Das Kapital by their bedside.

Love my X3, but no longer is the Audi Q5 the only other to compare it to.

Porsche Macan Review By Consumer Reports:

Pint-sized Porsche Macan SUV proves agile, quick, and lustworthy
ConsumerReports.org By Gabe Shenhar
1 hour ago
If the name Cayenne wasn’t already taken by Porsche’s midsized luxo-SUV, it would suit the Macan very well, because this new compact crossover may be the hottest, sportiest-driving SUV to date.

The peculiar Macan moniker supposedly comes from an Indonesian word for tiger. (Not to be confused with Volkswagen’s Tiguan, named for both a tiger and iguana. Don’t ask.) Natural competitors would include the Audi Q5, BMW X3, and Mercedes-Benz GLK, but the Macan is an order of magnitude pricier.

We just bought a Macan in the lower of its two trim lines, S. With its typical array of options, our Macan set us back $63,290. For someone like me, who happens to have a 160-mile daily commute, the Macan is proving to be an exceptionally enjoyable and engaging way to munch those miles.

Driving impressions: The Macan delivers everything that Porsches are famed for—superior agility; quick but gracious acceleration; invigorating sound; a tasteful, restrained-luxury interior; and a somewhat eccentric control layout. But compared with, say, a 911, Boxster, or Cayman, it brings a whole lot more day-to-day practicality. Theoretically, it will seat five but the rear seat is cramped. Both Macan trim lines, the S and Turbo, have a twin-turbo V6. This potent powerplant is good for 340-hp in the S and 400-hp in the rarefied Turbo, which has a starting price of $73,000.

The sole transmission choice is a seven-speed automated manual that Porsche calls PDK. It delivers quick, decisive shifts on the gallop, but it somehow stifles an immediate throttle response when loafing around town. So far, the onboard computer reports that we’ve been averaging 19 mpg—not bad considering the 340 horses onboard and the temptation to flog them. Sport mode adds some welcome steering heft and quicker throttle response, and it cancels the sometimes irritating start/stop feature.

Behind the wheel you’ll find yourself ascending to high speeds quickly, smoothly and effortlessly, treated to a subdued baritone bark on start up and a muted backfire-like blurt on some of the upshifts.

Handling is agile in a way that is practically unheard of for an SUV. While it shares some platform components with the very nice Audi Q5, the Macan takes agility to another level. It is taut, yet feels lithe and nimble, willing to tackle any corner and bend with gusto. It answers the helm promptly and remains settled and even-keeled. The steering is well weighted and provides good feedback.

And yet, ride comfort is rather commendable. Yes, there is a distinct underlying firmness, most noticeable at low speeds, but the suspension absorbs bumps quite effectively, and once on the open road, it becomes steadier and makes an express dash a rock-solid sail. The cabin is tight as a drum, quiet and impressively well-isolated from the outside world.

Large, well-shaped and very supportive front seats make for fatigue-free long-distance running. The tight rear seats make this car better suited to a young couple shopping at Whole Foods than a family expedition to Costco. But the split 40/20/40 rear seat and decent cargo area revealed by the power rear gate give plenty of versatility in a small package.

The cabin is festooned with aromatic leather, brushed aluminum, and real wood, giving it an impeccable high-end ambience. Coupe-like styling compromises the view to the rear, but an oversized sunroof with a power shade brightens up the snug interior.

Viewed as a sporty, all-wheel-drive hatchback that also happens to be an exclusive luxury item, the Macan hits the mark dead on. It goes without saying that the same amount of money can buy a lot more utility, but that’s missing the point. With the draw of the brand and a price that’s approachable for at least some people, we won’t be surprised if the Macan becomes Porsche’s best-selling model.

—Gabe Shenhar
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2014, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Very interesting write-up.

I think the Macan takes over where the X3 leaves off... ya actually get luxury with your performance.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 35i M Sport DHP
Would be my ideal vehicle, thats for sure. Man does Porsche get their $$$
Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
63K as tested... Ouch, and of course it's not the top level either..

Given it two model years and you will see a non turbo engine in it to lower the base price. Not too sure how this is a competitor for the X3, since starting price is about 30K less then their test macan was.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:34 AM

My x3 without leather cost 65K+

I bet a version of the 3.0 V6 TDi will find its way into the Macan in the next year or two.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
No doubt the Macan is fun to drive, but its limited utility reduces it to a SUV/SAV wannabe. My X3 3.5 M Sport not only accommodates my German shepherd dog, friends and gear on our frequent mountain adventures, but also provides a fun driving experience there and back. My X3 is a decathlon champ offering surprising utility, stirring performance, and non stop fun. For those of us who actually use our SUVs/SAVs (whatever) for more than runs to Whole Foods, the Macan's limited utility renders it a non-starter. Stir in Porsche pricing, plus Porsche pseudo Junker sales and service attitudes - and voila - I am shopping at the BMW store.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Base macan is about 5k more than base X3 35i. And no leather on the base X3 as mentioned above.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 435i GC pending
The Macan is a compelling choice for those would want performance and luxury from their SUV/SAV. Accordingly, the first year production run has already been spoken for. I suspect there will be some available but most likely with limited discounts and unfavorable lease terms. I would pay a $5-6k premium over the X3 (assuming similar equipment content). Otherwise the X3 or Q5 offers enough of what I am looking for in a "do it all" vehicle. There might be a X3 3.5i M sport in my future...

Retired
2013 M3 coupe (miss it. regret)
2008 335i vert
2003 530i sport
2002 530i
Old 08-20-2014, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 35i M Sport DHP
well...if not for the utility end of things, this hits the market where all the others seem to fall off, no? I think it's the perfect vehicle in this segment, although expensive, but not by too much.

I surely would have considered it when it was just me and my dog making quick getaways. Macan is quite a surprise. I priced one out last night..63k vs 55k X3, all considering, I don't find it that FAR apart. Who would have thought the BMW would be the value buy!haha
Old 08-20-2014, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330cic
Well said Capobranco!

I'm with you 200%.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-20-2014, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
My x3 without leather cost 65K+

I bet a version of the 3.0 V6 TDi will find its way into the Macan in the next year or two.
Since the Macan was in USD and CAD I would suspect in Canada it would more then 63K...

Old 08-21-2014, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
So many great, compact SUVs out there, but they're all automatics! I'm holding onto my 2006 BMW X3 3.0i, m-sport manual indefinitely. I just don't drive automatics, so these are all "nice" but simply not in my consideration set. Looks like my next vehicle will not be an SUV. That's a shame, because I use them!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1408629845.473841.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	459730

James
Seattle, WA

Old 08-21-2014, 08:39 AM

I hear ya... I use my x3 as a suv too...

... but the 8spd auto box is a great transmission with more ratios and quicker shifting than a manual transmission. I do understand the driving feel with a manual transmission but I don't miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
So many great, compact SUVs out there, but they're all automatics! I'm holding onto my 2006 BMW X3 3.0i, m-sport manual indefinitely. I just don't drive automatics, so these are all "nice" but simply not in my consideration set. Looks like my next vehicle will not be an SUV. That's a shame, because I use them!

Attachment 459730

James
Seattle, WA

Old 08-21-2014, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Macan is fabulous but just wait until the first service

I own a 911 and a 2013 X5. My BMW dealer has 60 loaners. The Porsche dealer has 5.
The service on the BMW is included. Just changing the Porsche's oil is $350.00.

I love the Macan. I lust after the Macan I would love to own the Macan. BMW is just so much easier and aint too bad either!
Old 08-23-2014, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto: E84
I just picked up a Macan after many BMWs. Mine came in at around 60k. I considered x3 as a replacement for my X5 but one test drive sold me. PDK is great if you are used to how a manual transmission feels like. X3 35i should be faster off the line but once moving, Macan is a serious dancer. I also like that I don't see too many of them on the road, yet.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
No doubt the Macan is fun to drive, but its limited utility reduces it to a SUV/SAV wannabe. My X3 3.5 M Sport not only accommodates my German shepherd dog, friends and gear on our frequent mountain adventures, but also provides a fun driving experience there and back. My X3 is a decathlon champ offering surprising utility, stirring performance, and non stop fun. For those of us who actually use our SUVs/SAVs (whatever) for more than runs to Whole Foods, the Macan's limited utility renders it a non-starter. Stir in Porsche pricing, plus Porsche pseudo Junker sales and service attitudes - and voila - I am shopping at the BMW store.
+1