Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-19-2014, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3
X3 2.5 won't start, everything else is good

Ok so I've scoured the forums and web and find myself still lost. Here's from the beginning - fixed window regulator (driver door), then the x3 was left alone for about 3 weeks. Came back and tried to start up and nothing came on, no lights, etc. from there I tried jumping it from the points under the hood, got power back but no cranking, I can hear the fuel pump turning on as well. So I thought possibly it was the battery, I went ahead and replaced the battery. Still nothing, but all the lights. I tried tapping the starter as well which lead to nothing as well. I will be checking the starter later on today. Just seeing if I'm missing something like a blown fuse, fuel shutoff button, etc.
I'm stuck out in the sticks in West Virginia and need to leave by Monday. Any help would be great.
Ty

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2014, 11:19 AM

Just a quick update. After lunch, I went to see what I could do - here's what I did. I turned the x3 on, put it in neutral and then park again. Let the key sit for a bit and then it started right up. I drove it for about 15 mins. Gave it a wash, and once again same issue of everything works but won't start. I will be checking the starter voltage hopefully today. I'm going to buy a starter today as well as I think this is the problem.
Hope to hear some input.
Ty

Old 08-19-2014, 11:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
I'm with you, I would check out the starter first. If that checks out OK, next I would look at the ignition switch as being a possible source of the problem.

Good luck

BMW CCA #422951

Old 08-19-2014, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I had the same problem recently. Bought a new battery but my issue was the ignition switch.
HTH
Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Does it turn over slow? What year is it?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM

It's a 2005 and it does not turn over at all. I will be replacing starter tonight or tomorrow and will give you an update on how it all goes.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:05 PM

What a pain this is. I just can't get the top torx bolt off. I'm trying to tackle this repair by going from underneath but think I will go from the top. I'll give it a couple more tries and see how we do.
The extensionssss I have are crazy and don't seem to give me enough torque to budge the bolt.
If it doesn't work tonight I will be going in from the top in the morning.
If anyone has done this before just wondering how your extension looked - I have the 3/8 socket, extension, wobble, and then extensions down to transfer case.
Ty

Old 08-20-2014, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
vac canister

if you remove the vac canister it gives more room to wiggle you're arm up to get a wrench on and pop off the starter elec connections....there are many posts on this method.....some can get over the top with the long extensions and some have weld up or use some style of obstruction wretch to get a start on the two starter torx bolts

the canister vac hoses will likely be rotted to some extent

also .....if going in from the top be careful with the CCV hoses .....they crack easily when old and will give you lean codes

Last edited by swampX3; 08-20-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:36 PM

good link

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:.....shows both from the bottom methods with long extensions and bendy wrench applications
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...errerid=343410

some good tips on doing it with a home made "bendy wrench"

This is how I changed the starter on my 2004 BMW X3.
First I searched on line for a TORX wrench. Found one and ordered it. when I got it,,, I cut it in half and welded them together in a slight angle. This was done because you need a slight angle so when you install the starte, it will give you more leverage when you tighten the Torx bolts.

After disconnecting the battery you then remove that vacuum cylinder in front of the starter. Remove the wires. Now with your new TORX 12 box end
1. Reach and find the bolts. They are right below the fire wall and behind the starter.
2. With the TORX wrench loosen both of them.
3. Now get a 3/8 ratchet wrench and remove the TORX bolts that you loosened. NEVER use the 3/8 wrench to loosen or tighten the TORX bolts, you will strip them. It is used to ratchet the bolts off and on. Rather than sit there for hours with the TORX wrench.
4. Shake the starter off.
5. Install the new one in the reversed order. Remember the 3/8 is only used when the bolts are loose.
This is what I used. E12 x E14 Torx Box Wrench. but you can get a set @

Last edited by swampX3; 08-20-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:43 PM

Yes I've been following that page and many others. Just was wondering about the extension setup and seeing if I was going at it correctly.
Ty

Old 08-20-2014, 05:48 PM

I think I may have to buy a 36" extension. All the extensions that I've added together aren't helping and aren't giving any torque. In the morning I will take of the vac canister, see if I can loosen with a torx wrench and then go for the sockets.
Ty for all your help swamp. Wish you lived closer to help me out.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:58 PM

Forza !

Forza .....Italian for strength I believe.....luv the expression ....keep going

maybe try a combination torx wrench bent over in a vice so you could get the dreaded bolts from the bottom easier
Old 08-20-2014, 06:11 PM

extension combos

found this with good extension setup info for top and bottom bolts on starter

-Remove the nut (lower middle of pic) to get the vacuum canister out of the way since the starter is directly behind it
-Now you have eyes on the starter and the real fun can begin
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-K...031_225329.jpg

-Just feel around up there so you can get a sense of where things are and supposed to go since the bolt removal is almost entirely by feel.
-Build your extension & u-joint contraption:
_____-For the lower bolt it's much easier and you can get away with about a foot and a half of wobbly extensions (I used E12 socket-3 inch-Ujoint-6inch wobble-10in wobble)
_____-For the upper I used a bit more to get up the transmission tunnel, over towards the center, and up to the interface where the bolt is. E12 socket-3inch-U-joint-6inch straight-U-joint-6inch wobble-10inch wobble-ratchet-big box end wrench for torque) You'll have to guide it as it'll be long and floppy going into the tight space
Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 PM

Wow amazing. That's exactly what I've been looking for. You are the man!
Tomorrow will be the day of reckoning.

Thanks again

Old 08-20-2014, 06:32 PM

good pics of canister nut etc

-It will look like this up where you're going to be poking around so clean it off. (view looking up at drivers side of tranny with rear of car to right)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-l...101_221629.jpg
-Should undo that hose guide (top middle of pic) to move the hose a little more out of the way.
-Same with the thin semi-rigid fuel line on the same support
-Remove the nut (lower middle of pic) to get the vacuum canister out of the way since the starter is directly behind it
-Now you have eyes on the starter and the real fun can begin
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-K...031_225329.jpg
Old 08-21-2014, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I assume that you have given it a good overnight soaking with PB Blaster, or similar?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 PM

Well it took a while but I finally got the bolts off. I had to stop for the night bc the rain got to strong.
I had to buy a 20" extension which helped me keep the crazy contraption less wobbly. I almost gave up and went the top route but glad I stuck with it. Attempt after attempt keep ending with the extension Goliath falling on me. I finally got the correct hand placement needed and from there was a breeze.
I needed to have my right hand guiding the socket and ratchet with the left. It was uncomfortable but the sound of the bolt unfreezing was wonderful. From there I shortened the extension and was able to easily get the bolt out. The other bolt I wanted to wait to get off before the hardest but ended up doing that in the middle of almost giving up. The bolt is pretty straight forward.

Problems that could occur - if not using two hands for the top bolt you risk stripping it. Stick with the e12 socket it fits the most snug. I tried and tried using two hands to turn the ratchet but it ended up in the socket slipping every time.
I kept trying to add piece by piece bc it's so heavy and hard to handle. This is pointless, I believe, I found it a lot easier to have the whole contraption setup and finding the bolt with the right hand as you wiggle the base of the extension until you get tension with the left. I made sure the socket was deep on the bolt and held the with a finger or two as I turned the ratchet.

I'm sure everyone will get it differently just wanted to share how I did it. I'll try to get some pics in tomorrow after I complete the project.
Thanks for all the help. Swamp, your posts really helped and your extension explanation. Also gave me the umph and perseverance to keep me going, ty.
Alright I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:32 AM

well done !

a great effort and keep plugging away result .....well done !

let's hope a new starter does the trick .....keep us posted......

also ......very good to get to know your starter terminal connections so if you have problems with ignition/wiring or something you can easily use a meter or light to check for volts at the main terminal and or the solenoid

also ....check the state of your ~5 mm vac hoses and plug at the rear of your manifold plus the one you popped off the canister....easy to replace with generic 10 dollar length of vac hose from the auto shop right now....if the plug has rotted off and you can't get another then just push a piece of 5mm or close over the nub and fold it over / clamp it off/wind a tight fitting fastener in it or run a length up top around back of manifold and use it as a vac gauge pickup point....a pig tail like this is good for checking vac at different rpm ranges and keeping an eye on such things as ccv degradation

plus check the drain hose coming into the base of the dipstick tube if you have a dipstick

Last edited by swampX3; 08-22-2014 at 05:37 AM. Reason: added tip
Old 08-22-2014, 05:41 AM

buried starter etc elec tips

many savvy folks run wiring from their buried electrical devils like starters and alternators to a safe point easily accessible for checking/troubleshooting......ensure the wiring is bien protected
Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 AM

a good primer on connections etc

Old 08-22-2014, 02:40 PM

hose check

good link to that hose that you can check while under ......it transitions into the dipstick and can be a vac/oil leaker

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/picture...ictureid=12630
Old 08-22-2014, 04:23 PM

Ok got the new starter in, cleaned up real well. All the hoses were good and not too squishy. Didn't have any spare wire to run from starter but I'm in town now and have bought some with an eyebolt that I'll create a link to check.
After all put back together and triple checked. I reconnected battery, checked voltage and gave her a go...and nothing. I turned it off, let the key sit in the 1 position for a while and tried again but nothing.
I hear a slight hum and little clicks in 3 that happen for around a minute in like 10 seconds intervals. The solenoid behind the air filter also seems to be rather hot, not sure if this is usually. I checked the old starter and at first it didn't turn but after a tap it turned.
My spirits are quite low now. I'm supposed to be driving back to florida on Monday with my pregnant wife. Who keeps wondering how things are going. I would've taken to a dealer today but the closest one is around 2hrs away.
Tomorrow I'll start from square one again and check all electrical from battery to ignition switch to starter. I've checked the fuses in the glove compartment all are good.

From what I've read I wonder if my key has lost it programming with the ews. It still locks and unlocks but have read that that doesn't matter and still could not be coded. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to send me a replacement since all I have with me right now is one key.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:37 PM

What boggles my mind is if it is the key, then why did it start up the one random time.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:39 PM

Just read this from
bdavid13
Turn key in position 2. Run through the gears once over and try re-starting your car. This happened to me when my battery died. " it suppose to reset your starter solenoid". Give it a shot. It worked for me!

Old 08-22-2014, 05:41 PM

wire and light

hope you can get some cable.wire tomorrow......or.....can you get any kind of house wire/borrow a piece from another area of a vehicle not vital /a piece of jumper cable wire...welding rod/wire and or a 12v bulb or cheap meter and its wires as in the vid I posted just to see if you have supply to your solenoid .......this will help tell you how far along you are in the permission chain from the ews etc

also .....do you have the tiny plastic with chip embedded valet key (see next post for pics)tucked away in the vehicle glove box or someones purse/pocket to start the car

Last edited by swampX3; 08-22-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: valet key spelling/images tip