Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-21-2014, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is
Wink 335IS owners, pls provide your answers and advice =D

Hi

I just bought a 2011 335IS (32k miles) with DCT. I have few questions for my fellow 335IS owners and any BMW experts.

I have been noticing that when slowing down/stopping I can hear some clicks of the gear changes/downshifting. It is noticeable in the 3rd, 2nd and 1st gear downshifts. is that normal with all DCT? upshifts are very smooth.

Should I worry about the DCT clutches? or they should be lasting over 100k miles with moderate driving?

I noticed that the car always changes to D1 if you slow down (not full stop but less than 10 mph). I thought that BMWs will always stay in D2 unless the car completely stops. what do you think?

Is it fine to drive manually and do down shifts down to M1? RPM will be around 3-4 when it engages first gear or that might harm the gear? the sound the car makes when down shifting is sexy

Any advice or things i need to watch for or do? I am new to this car and have never driven one before and I will be honest I am enjoying it with the DCT its an amazing technology.

Thanks in advance to all of you.
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2014, 10:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
[QUOTE=faisal87;8541091]Hi

I just bought a 2011 335IS (32k miles) with DCT. I have few questions for my fellow 335IS owners and any BMW experts.

I have been noticing that when slowing down/stopping I can hear some clicks of the gear changes/downshifting. It is noticeable in the 3rd, 2nd and 1st gear downshifts. is that normal with all DCT? upshifts are very smooth.
I have never heard any clicking in the transmission when downshifting.

Should I worry about the DCT clutches? or they should be lasting over 100k miles with moderate driving?
There shouldn't be any issues with the transmission if you are a moderate driver like you stated, but of course the more rev's you have in either upshifting or downshifting you are going to have a little more wear.

I noticed that the car always changes to D1 if you slow down (not full stop but less than 10 mph). I thought that BMWs will always stay in D2 unless the car completely stops. what do you think?
With the DCT it will always downshift to D1 when coming to a stop in order to keep the engine in an optimal gear for acceleration

Is it fine to drive manually and do down shifts down to M1? RPM will be around 3-4 when it engages first gear or that might harm the gear? the sound the car makes when down shifting is sexy
Driving in manual mode is fine and a lot more fun the just sticking it in D and letting it go. And the sound is intoxicating.

Any advice or things i need to watch for or do? I am new to this car and have never driven one before and I will be honest I am enjoying it with the DCT its an amazing technology.
Push the sport button and then do manual shifts.

Enjoy!

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:55 AM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
[QUOTE=rdkind62;8541311]
Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal87 View Post
Hi

There shouldn't be any issues with the transmission if you are a moderate driver like you stated, but of course the more rev's you have in either upshifting or downshifting you are going to have a little more wear.

With the DCT it will always downshift to D1 when coming to a stop in order to keep the engine in an optimal gear for acceleration

Driving in manual mode is fine and a lot more fun the just sticking it in D and letting it go. And the sound is intoxicating.

Enjoy!
Well said ... ditto.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is
[QUOTE=rdkind62;8541311]
Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal87 View Post
Hi

Enjoy!
thanks rdkind62 for reply and thanks Turborascal for the thumbs up

the sound i am referring to comes with the gear changes (noticeble with low gears downshifts with no radio/music), it might be the sound of the clotches engaging and disengaging i am not sure, next service i will let the mechanic hear it and check.

thanks for the advice lol