Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-22-2014, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: nothing
2014 Used x28i - Pricing Help

Hi everyone - wanted to get some help/insight into pricing as I am about to purchase my first car ever, and hopefully it will be a BMW!

I'm looking into used 2014 x3 x28i with low mileage (<10,000). Right now, a lot of dealers are offering some 'loaner specials'. What kind of offer should I be looking for, under invoice?

The car I'm looking at:
MSRP: $39,800
Options: $8,250
Destination charge: $925

If I apply the .92/.91 rule, I get to somewhere around $45k for invoice. Dealer is offering $42,900 (not including taxes/fees), which seems high for a used vehicle. Just trying to get a sense where I should be pushing the dealer towards. Is this eligible for the $2500 corporate rebate, and should I ask them to include/share?

I am also doing this negotiation somewhat remotely. Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lala10 View Post
Hi everyone - wanted to get some help/insight into pricing as I am about to purchase my first car ever, and hopefully it will be a BMW!

I'm looking into used 2014 x3 x28i with low mileage (<10,000). Right now, a lot of dealers are offering some 'loaner specials'. What kind of offer should I be looking for, under invoice?

The car I'm looking at:
MSRP: $39,800
Options: $8,250
Destination charge: $925

If I apply the .92/.91 rule, I get to somewhere around $45k for invoice. Dealer is offering $42,900 (not including taxes/fees), which seems high for a used vehicle. Just trying to get a sense where I should be pushing the dealer towards. Is this eligible for the $2500 corporate rebate, and should I ask them to include/share?

I am also doing this negotiation somewhat remotely. Thanks!

You're in LA area? If yes, that's a very competitive area.

$2100 under invoice is outrageously high any where for a used X3 with less than (but close to?) 10K miles.

If you were buying a brand new 2014 X3 with less than 10 miles on it you'd be at least $3000 under invoice any where due to the $2500 BMW corporate rebate. In a competitive market you'd be at least $3500 or more under invoice for a brand new vehicle.

A used vehicle with 10K miles and they are offering only $2100 under invoice- they're thieves! Preying on unsuspecting car buyers. I'd go somewhere else if it was me- it's an insulting offer. $5000 under invoice in Southern California is more where it should be.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 PM

Thanks! I'm actually in the tri-state area, but mostly looking at dealerships in NY and NJ. I totally agree re: thievery! After doing a bunch more research on loaner vehicles (that's what this is being advertised as), I became more and more offended by their price. I threw in an offer of a little over $40k and asked them to include doc fees. This'll put me around $5k under invoice, I think. I also spelled out the rationale and mentioned the $2500 rebate + fact that this is being advertised as a new car but they aren't giving any incentives/rebates + warranty has already started. I think I can get a little closer to asking if they're willing to throw in an extended warranty or certify or something...

would love to hear more from the gurus of this forum though!

I'm looking for a car for only 2-3 years and was pretty firm on buying CPO for awhile since I didn't want to be the one to take that massive 1st depreciation, but these price differentials are starting to look like the new models are good deals! I can probably do a 2015 x3 for another 4-5k more...
Old 08-23-2014, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 435i GC pending
OP, you may also want to read the post in the Ask a Dealer section for loaner vs. executive vehicles http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=788465. This could also apply to your situation.

Retired
2013 M3 coupe (miss it. regret)
2008 335i vert
2003 530i sport
2002 530i
Old 08-23-2014, 08:44 AM

Cool, thanks!

Unsurprisingly, got a very lukewarm response from the salesperson at BMW. I'm sure someone in NJ will buy this car though without doing the research. Ha. We'll see.

I am also looking at a 2013 CPO with about 24k miles on it. It's had 3 owners, which is a little strange but no accidents or anything major. The internet price is $38k, but I was thinking about going back with $35k. Might still be a little high for a 2013 CPO, but wanted to get people's thoughts..

Thanks again for such invaluable feedback.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28d
I am so glad that, after 4 years of dithering, my purchase is over with. Now I just have to hope that my specific vehicle is not below average in reliability.

Decisions. Decisions. If fuel economy and cost wasn't an issue, I would have gone with the 35i. But, you have to decide. This option, or that. Knowing that you could probably have got a better deal by waiting another couple months. Going to another dealer.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:52 PM

Update on this - ended up leasing a new, 2015 x28i.

Per board suggestions, I reached out to Greg Poland just to get a sense of where I should be aiming. He mentioned $800-$1000 over invoice for a 2015 X3 x28i so I went with that.

MSRP: $50,500
Invoice: $46,445 (per Edmunds/true car. couldn't get anyone to show me the DCS inventory form..)

Negotiated price: $47,465 (about $1k over invoice)
Less: $2,000 credits (college grad + un4gettable test drive event)
Total Sale price: $45,465

2015 X3 x28i alpine white, black nevada interior.
Options:
- Cold Weather
- Premium
- Technology
- Lighting
- Driver Assistance

Total due at signing: $3,547.86 (includes first month payment, $1800 taxes, bank fee of $725, registration of $280, and some other smaller fees)
Monthly payment: $580.47
MF: 0.0013, Residual of 56%

Probably could've gotten a few more hundred off if I negotiated a bit more, but honestly, I was tired of driving around and calling dealers left and right. Moreover, I found it somewhat difficult to find what I wanted without having to wait another 4-6 weeks. This car is at port currently and will be at dealership in about a week's time.

As mentioned earlier,t his was my first time with any sort of car purchase - hopefully I'll get better on the next go around! Thank you to everyone who helped/offered advice!! :-)