Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-20-2004, 01:12 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: '08 750i
Question for my old X5 friends....

Hi guys... been a couple months, and yes, I am loving the 545i... and...

now my wife is in the market to trade her RX300.. she has narrowed it down to 2.

X5 3.0
Touareg V8

We drove the Touareg, and I have to say, it looks awesome, drives great, has power, and so far, is all around a big winner. I am worried about reliability and resale. They tell me the '05 model has all the fixes, and should be fine. as for resale, while BMW might beat them, they are both SUV's and my opinion is that they will both do ok. I don't think either will be as strong as the lexus!

So, X5 vs. Touareg V8... of course, you are all X5 drivers, but really, what do you think?

I think the X5 while BMW all the way through, is a bit antequated, after 6 years of production! the dash is basic. Highly functional, but basic. I realize, and know better than anyone, that to buy BMW, you buy the drive!

thoughts?

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'09 Maserati Quattroporte S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.
'08 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'06 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'07 550i Sapphire Black/Black
'05 545i Silver Grey/Black
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy
thoughts?
hmmmm, let's think this through..... BMW, VW, BMW, VW, BMW, VW.....

In my book it's simply no contest. BMW wins every time.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: 2002 X5 3.0i
Quote:
How did you find a picture of Dr.Kewl's billboard?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:09 PM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Hey, Wassy...good to read you again.
What a loaded question for this board, lol!

If I were shopping for new suv-like car to replace my X5, I'd look at X5 and X3.
Have driven, breifly a T-Reg: ok, but styling is lost in the pking lot,imo.

As for that basic dash...a golf bud of mine got a new C55 AMG MB; the dash board is full of
buttons, buttons and buttons. (His son is, of all things Senior Prod Mgr for the MB shoebox suv!)
And, the "entertainment Ctr/NAV,etc", seperate manual is about 100 fooking pages.

Dunno, I spend most of my time looking out the window, not at the
dash, lol!

GL on your pick and remember to keep "Mgmt" happy ;>)
BR,md
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 11-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: 14 F10, 14 F15
Quote:

now my wife is in the market to trade her RX300.. she has narrowed it down to 2.

X5 3.0
Touareg V8

We drove the Touareg, and I have to say, it looks awesome, drives great, has power, and so far, is all around a big winner. I am worried about reliability and resale. They tell me the '05 model has all the fixes, and should be fine. as for resale, while BMW might beat them, they are both SUV's and my opinion is that they will both do ok. I don't think either will be as strong as the lexus!

So, X5 vs. Touareg V8... of course, you are all X5 drivers, but really, what do you think?

I think the X5 while BMW all the way through, is a bit antequated, after 6 years of production! the dash is basic. Highly functional, but basic. I realize, and know better than anyone, that to buy BMW, you buy the drive!

thoughts?
Hi Andy, it's good to hear from you again. As much as I love BMWs I'd take the T-reg V8 over the X5 I-6. I'm not sure why V8 vs I-6 which is a little odd to me. Of course I'd pick the 4.4i over the V8 Treg in a heart beat. As far as reliability is concerned, the Treg isn't much better than the X5. Plus I'm not too crazy about VW dealer service...it's just not in the same league as BMW. I agree with Ol' Unclemotor about the X3 which you and your wife should consider.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:52 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: '08 750i
Thanks guys.. couple of rebuff's:

1. NO argument on service at BMW vs. VW.. one of the reasons we didn't buy yet
2. why V8 vs. I-6? actually, the VW V8 is about $3k under the BMW I-6.. that's why it's in the running. if the 4.4 was MUCH cheaper, it would be the comparo car.
3. X3 just not gonna do it for her.. nice, fun, and handles awesome. but she doesn't care for it!
4. I never suggested that the VW was more reliable than the BMW.. in fact, my thoughts are just the opposite, and that is also my concern. As rough an experience I had with the 4.4, I'd hate to be burdened more with a VW.
4. the big issue is the name.. nothing against them, nice vehicle.. but it is a VW! period!

I really wish the X5 was brough up to date, a bit more!

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'09 Maserati Quattroporte S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.
'08 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'06 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'07 550i Sapphire Black/Black
'05 545i Silver Grey/Black
Old 11-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
4. the big issue is the name.. nothing against them, nice vehicle.. but it is a VW! period!
Enough said!
Old 11-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Oversized Rooster 4.4i

Mein Auto: '02 X5 4.4i
Quote:

thoughts?
The dash is basic?! Now with the E46 dying in spring, the X5's dash is the ONLY remnant of BMW's glorious driver-friendly dashboards in a production model! I'm sorry if this offends you, but while the 545i is an amazing vehicle, its Buick-shaped dash is a massive turn-off.

I'm sad BMW is starting to install Buick-style dashes on all their cars...next thing you know, we'll no longer have the floor mounted tranny shifters either. They'll be like the "stalk behind the wheel" concept we see on Ford Crown Victorias! Sadly, the E65 already has taken that route.

With all that said, my main point is that X5 is the only remaining BMW sporting the traditional dash with E39-sourced controls!

2002 BMW X5 4.4i - Titanium Silver, Grey Leather, Activity Package, Front+Rear PDC, Boomerang2 Recovery System, Lumbar Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Sunshades, Privacy Glass, 30% Front Tint