Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-24-2014, 11:55 AM
1er2F25

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 xDrive28i
Is it safe to have 1 non run flat tire?

So, a few months ago I got a flat in one of my run flat tires while on a trip in Amsterdam. Long story short, the BMW dealership said the tire would need to be replaced. Unfortunately, they did not have the same brand of tire in stock that my car came equipped with, and it was not an option for me to wait around for an extra 2 nights in a hotel for the tire to be delivered. So, I had no choice but to take the tire that they had on hand (Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT). My issue is that tire is only a summer rated tire, and I live in Germany, so in a few months, I will need all-seasons installed on all 4 corners. It is not only for safety reasons, but it is also the law here in Germany to have winter tires, or all-season tires installed after November 15th of every year. But, I plan to make the switch to conventional tires when the tires are due for replacement, so I am wondering if I can just replace the Dunlop summer tire with a conventional Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-season tire since I plan to make the switch to conventional tires in the future? In other words, I will have 3 Pirelli P7 run flats, and 1 Pirelli P7 conventional tire until I replace the other 3. I will answer this question right now, the OEM tires have just under 9,000 miles on them, so it would be a while until I actually replace them.

The differences I see in the tires:

Pirelli run flat-
UTQG Data: 500 A A
Tire weight: 33 lbs
Section width: 10"
Tread width: 9"
Overall diameter: 27.7"

Pirelli conventional:
UTQG Data: 700 A A
Tire weight: 28 lbs
Section width: 10.2"
Tread width: 7.5"
Overall diameter: 27.9"

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
BMW is pretty clear in the owners manual that all 4 tires need to be the same brand, model and thickness. What you have done no doubt is inconsistent with their requirements. BMW AWD vehicles can be ultra sensitive to a non conforming tire setup such as what you now have and you may create issues in your transfer case performance as well as in general handling. I suggest you get 4 identical tires on the car.

Sent from my SM-N900P using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-24-2014, 08:27 PM
1er2F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrapo View Post
BMW is pretty clear in the owners manual that all 4 tires need to be the same brand, model and thickness. What you have done no doubt is inconsistent with their requirements. BMW AWD vehicles can be ultra sensitive to a non conforming tire setup such as what you now have and you may create issues in your transfer case performance as well as in general handling. I suggest you get 4 identical tires on the car.

Understandable. But, as stated, I really had no choice but to take the tire they had in stock at the time. I needed to be at work the next day, and I had my 3 kids at home with the babysitter (co-worker), who also needed to be at work the next day. We are both US military, so calling in to work, or using a sick day is not really an option for us. I already had to stay in Amsterdam for an extra day and a half, as this incident of course happened on a Sunday evening. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:58 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Going back 25 or 30 years, there have been a few occassions where I replaced only two tires (front or rear) with a different brand or even the same brand but a different tread. In all cases, without exception, I regretted it and will no longer even consider mixing treads. The cars just did not handle and behave as well as they did with four identical tires. I use a large very reputable family owned tire shop and they will not replace two tires with anything different than that on the other two wheels. I certainly can see having one bastard tire in an emergency or "get home" type of situation but I think it would be irresponsible to intentionally mix tread patterns on a car. On one occassion I had a bastard tire on one wheel for a few days after damaging a tire and waiting for the new tires to be delivered. The car handled terribly and, in my strong opinion, was unsafe.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoward128i View Post
Understandable. But, as stated, I really had no choice but to take the tire they had in stock at the time. I needed to be at work the next day, and I had my 3 kids at home with the babysitter (co-worker), who also needed to be at work the next day. We are both US military, so calling in to work, or using a sick day is not really an option for us. I already had to stay in Amsterdam for an extra day and a half, as this incident of course happened on a Sunday evening. Thanks for the input.

I understand your situation and you did the best you could given the options. I also agree with the next post as well. I think your best option is to treat the 4th tire as a "spare" and get a matching tire as quickly as you can.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 AM
1er2F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
Going back 25 or 30 years, there have been a few occassions where I replaced only two tires (front or rear) with a different brand or even the same brand but a different tread. In all cases, without exception, I regretted it and will no longer even consider mixing treads. The cars just did not handle and behave as well as they did with four identical tires. I use a large very reputable family owned tire shop and they will not replace two tires with anything different than that on the other two wheels. I certainly can see having one bastard tire in an emergency or "get home" type of situation but I think it would be irresponsible to intentionally mix tread patterns on a car. On one occassion I had a bastard tire on one wheel for a few days after damaging a tire and waiting for the new tires to be delivered. The car handled terribly and, in my strong opinion, was unsafe.
In this case, if I bought the new tire, they would be EXACTLY the same tread pattern, as they are exactly the same tire with the exception of the run flat technology. Trust me, I hated putting that "bastard" tire on, as you call it, but I literally had no choice in that particular situation. It may be a mind thing, but I do feel as if the car does feel a little different with that odd tire being on the car.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
I think more than anything, the different tire properties mess with the AWD torque transfer, stability, and traction control algorithms. So you did the right thing to take care of the urgent situation at hand, but I think you should replace the tire with a matching one at your earliest opportunity.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 08-25-2014, 01:14 PM
1er2F25

Thanks for all the replies. Matching tire is on order.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:06 PM

Now you have a nice spare tire you can keep in your garage! !