Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2014, 07:15 AM
beamedup beamedup is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: honda
When buying an older 335 like 2010/2011, what should I be looking out for? Repairs?

Hi,

I haven't owned a BMW before, but if I was to get an older model like say 2010/2011 335 what things should I be looking out for?

I am very nervous when it compares to repairs. I've pretty much always owned a Honda.

What kind of repair costs should I be prepared for? I've heard I should figure 1500/2000/year in repair costs since it is a luxury vehicle and I'm getting an older model.

Note: I can't fix my own car, so people out there who can fix smaller issues have an advantage

Am I being overly cautious or is that just the reality of when buying a BMW?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-25-2014, 08:18 AM
CALWATERBOY DUE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is offline
Reregistered User
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,055
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamedup View Post
Hi,

I haven't owned a BMW before, but if I was to get an older model like say 2010/2011 335 what things should I be looking out for?

I am very nervous when it compares to repairs. I've pretty much always owned a Honda.

What kind of repair costs should I be prepared for? I've heard I should figure 1500/2000/year in repair costs since it is a luxury vehicle and I'm getting an older model.

Note: I can't fix my own car, so people out there who can fix smaller issues have an advantage

Am I being overly cautious or is that just the reality of when buying a BMW?

HERE

Wait....has this question been asked before? It is new to Bimmerfest? How can we find out?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-25-2014, 08:52 AM
Porando Porando is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South OC
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 578
Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
People just want everything digested and served on a a silver platter...

Q1: why do you want to own a BMW?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 AM
ctuna ctuna is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,299
Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Beware of the crappy base stereo in the 2010 2011

Beware of the crappy base stereo in the 2010 2011
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2014, 09:02 AM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,731
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamedup View Post
Hi,

I haven't owned a BMW before, but if I was to get an older model like say 2010/2011 335 what things should I be looking out for?

I am very nervous when it compares to repairs. I've pretty much always owned a Honda.

What kind of repair costs should I be prepared for? I've heard I should figure 1500/2000/year in repair costs since it is a luxury vehicle and I'm getting an older model.

Note: I can't fix my own car, so people out there who can fix smaller issues have an advantage

Am I being overly cautious or is that just the reality of when buying a BMW?
maybe you should purchase an extended warranty! I did and its paid for itself now so anything else that is covered is free for me
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Rg21044 Rg21044 is offline
Registered User
Location: East coast-mid Atlantic
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 335i coupe, jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
maybe you should purchase an extended warranty! I did and its paid for itself now so anything else that is covered is free for me
I paid $2800 for an aftermarket warranty. One repair could be double that. Plus I could finance it over several years instead of having to come up with a lump sum to pay out of pocket.
__________________

2007 BMW E92 335i Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2014, 09:26 AM
beamedup beamedup is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porando View Post
People just want everything digested and served on a a silver platter...

Q1: why do you want to own a BMW?
I love cars and want a car that is enjoyable to drive and something that was engineered for performance.

At the same time, I want to get a full understanding of what I am getting into costs wise.

I'm always weary when you can get a 80K luxury car like a beamer for like 15-20K. Something has to be wrong
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2014, 09:27 AM
beamedup beamedup is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg21044 View Post
I paid $2800 for an aftermarket warranty. One repair could be double that. Plus I could finance it over several years instead of having to come up with a lump sum to pay out of pocket.
What kind of repair would be 5K?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Rg21044 Rg21044 is offline
Registered User
Location: East coast-mid Atlantic
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 335i coupe, jeep
Unfortunately, there are several that could approach that figure.
__________________

2007 BMW E92 335i Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 AM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,731
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamedup View Post
I love cars and want a car that is enjoyable to drive and something that was engineered for performance.

At the same time, I want to get a full understanding of what I am getting into costs wise.

I'm always weary when you can get a 80K luxury car like a beamer for like 15-20K. Something has to be wrong
well you could be right, Where is the car from?
could be a water damaged car from the North East

Just because it might come from texas, doesnt mean its not from the NE

Maybe a slavaged car that was retitled?

best do your home work prior to buying it
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-25-2014, 09:45 AM
bad karma bad karma is offline
Registered User
Location: Portland, OR
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport E90 SBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamedup View Post
...if I was to get an older model like say 2010/2011 335...
Is this how disposable and commoditized our society has become? Since when is a three or four year old car an "older model"?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Wongway Wongway is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 270
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Any of the "Luxury" cars can be had for really cheap after a few years.

What's comical to me is that my mother bought a 2004 Mercedes S500 brand new. Even back then, that was a $100,000 car.
Today, the best that a dealer will take that car in on trade (it only has 22,000 miles on it) is about $14,000.

You don't buy a luxury car because you think it will stay valuable.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-25-2014, 10:35 AM
beamedup beamedup is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad karma View Post
Is this how disposable and commoditized our society has become? Since when is a three or four year old car an "older model"?
Well I guess it is a technical thing but yes it is older. If I walk in a dealership I'm not going to say I'm looking for a new 2011 model am I?

I said older model not old piece of junk lol.

At the same time yes our society has become "that" and much more, but I'm not like that that's for sure and I didn't intend that by "older model".
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 AM
beamedup beamedup is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Any of the "Luxury" cars can be had for really cheap after a few years.

What's comical to me is that my mother bought a 2004 Mercedes S500 brand new. Even back then, that was a $100,000 car.
Today, the best that a dealer will take that car in on trade (it only has 22,000 miles on it) is about $14,000.

You don't buy a luxury car because you think it will stay valuable.
Actually this is what gets me also, I really would want to get a car like that for 14K but deep down something tells me "there must be something wrong".

And when you search online, you WILL find all the horror stories b/c no-one posts on how much of a deal they got and how reliable it may have been. You only hear angry people who had to pay $x,xxx for repairs on an annual basis.

Last edited by beamedup; 08-25-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-25-2014, 10:38 AM
need4speed's Avatar
need4speed need4speed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,378
Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Make sure the HPHF has been taken care of, as well as the injectors if it falls into that build date(s). Be sure you have a copy of the extended warranty from BMW regarding the waste gate issue. N4S
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-25-2014, 10:51 AM
bad karma bad karma is offline
Registered User
Location: Portland, OR
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport E90 SBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamedup View Post
Well I guess it is a technical thing but yes it is older. If I walk in a dealership I'm not going to say I'm looking for a new 2011 model am I?

I said older model not old piece of junk lol.

At the same time yes our society has become "that" and much more, but I'm not like that that's for sure and I didn't intend that by "older model".
Fair enough, I was probably reading in to your comment more than I should have. Happy searching, they are great cars. If you get a 2011 (like me!) you'll be getting the new N55 engine, which is more reliable than the previous N54 but less receptive to mods, if that's your cup of tea. Phenomenal automobiles all the same.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Porando Porando is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South OC
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 578
Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamedup View Post
I love cars and want a car that is enjoyable to drive and something that was engineered for performance.


At the same time, I want to get a full understanding of what I am getting into costs wise.

I'm always weary when you can get a 80K luxury car like a beamer for like 15-20K. Something has to be wrong
-
- And as usual expensive car will cost you more than and average "rider" - how much? It depends of course.
- Why car which 3 years ago cost $50k + sells for less?
- 3 reasons:
1. People who buy them like to drive new cars - drive for 3-4 years and sell - usually whne warranty is about to expire.
2. People are having problems with them and can't afford them because they did not know what they were buying.
3. People like these cars and moving up . And there are categories of these:
a. these who maintained them so they would last forever
b. these who did only the minimum as they were planning to sell them before issues start showing up
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Kafkaesque320 Kafkaesque320 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: El A
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 706
Mein Auto: 320i ZSP, 8AT, BMS Stage1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Any of the "Luxury" cars can be had for really cheap after a few years.

What's comical to me is that my mother bought a 2004 Mercedes S500 brand new. Even back then, that was a $100,000 car.
Today, the best that a dealer will take that car in on trade (it only has 22,000 miles on it) is about $14,000.

You don't buy a luxury car because you think it will stay valuable.
Which is why a lot of people don't bother buying luxury cars at all, but instead lease them. But that's a whole other conversation.

OP, lot of fuel system problems with those model years, HPFP, etc.. Like others have said, extended warranty and you should be good.
__________________
'14 Black 320i | Sport Package | BMS Stage 1 | Sport AT | Moonroof | Various Coding | Halogen Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunk99 View Post
You drive a 320 so pretty sure you have nothing of value to contribute.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-25-2014, 12:39 PM
beamedup beamedup is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: honda
So I can buy a car private and still get extended warranty? I guess they do an inspection to see if it is possible or not?

If so, I should ask if the seller can let me get the car inspected to see if they will give me warranty....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-25-2014, 12:55 PM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,680
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Any of the "Luxury" cars can be had for really cheap after a few years.

What's comical to me is that my mother bought a 2004 Mercedes S500 brand new. Even back then, that was a $100,000 car.
Today, the best that a dealer will take that car in on trade (it only has 22,000 miles on it) is about $14,000.

You don't buy a luxury car because you think it will stay valuable.
I recall reading the 7 series was the worst in terms of depreciation. I think the market demand for used $100+ vehicles is small at anything other than low, relatively speaking, selling prices. People who can afford to pay $50K+ for a vehicle are unlikely to want to buy a used one. Thus the value plummets until it reaches a point where mere mortals can afford them (and the associated maintenance costs).
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-25-2014, 12:57 PM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,680
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamedup View Post
So I can buy a car private and still get extended warranty? I guess they do an inspection to see if it is possible or not?

If so, I should ask if the seller can let me get the car inspected to see if they will give me warranty....
Yes, ask if you can get it inspected. Stay away from any seller who refuses to let you have the vehicle inspected. I understand if they're hesitant to do so until they're confident you're serious. But once you've expressed your intention to buy make it conditional on a PRE Purchase Inspection.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-25-2014, 01:33 PM
beamedup beamedup is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: honda
How does this work with the dealership or BMW?

I mean if you pay $2K for this warranty, if 90% of the time they are paying out more to fix the car are you telling me they lose money on this?

Or is the markup so high the actual cost of parts/labor isn't 2K (I find it hard to believe).
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-25-2014, 01:37 PM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,680
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamedup View Post
How does this work with the dealership or BMW?

I mean if you pay $2K for this warranty, if 90% of the time they are paying out more to fix the car are you telling me they lose money on this?

Or is the markup so high the actual cost of parts/labor isn't 2K (I find it hard to believe).
Easy: They're not losing money on these warranties. From time to time they'll pay more than what the warranty cost. But averaged out over all the sales they're coming out ahead. Which should be an indication to you
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-25-2014, 02:01 PM
djsirkit13 djsirkit13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4
Mein Auto:
i have a 06 750li with 43k miles on it carmax and the dealer quoted me 15k for it bought it for 40k with 22k miles on it back in 08. i am going to take a major hit on it but i am also looking into buying a 11 335i xd
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-25-2014, 02:09 PM
bad karma bad karma is offline
Registered User
Location: Portland, OR
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport E90 SBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Easy: They're not losing money on these warranties. From time to time they'll pay more than what the warranty cost. But averaged out over all the sales they're coming out ahead. Which should be an indication to you
Correct, they're gambling that you won't need more than $2000 in repairs done to your car during the duration of the warranty, and you're gambling that you will. Obviously, the house comes out ahead most of the time, otherwise they wouldn't sell them.

I bought one, a 5 year/100,000 mile comprehensive warranty through my credit union. I understand the math behind the price, and know that the chance of me needing $2400 in repairs is unlikely, but it's a lot easier for me to stomach ~$50/month for the warranty than it is to come up with four figures of cash on short notice for a major repair. That would put me up a creek really fast, and as my 335 is my DD I can't take that risk.

I suspect most people who buy these warranties do so with similar understandings.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms