Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 08-25-2014, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
Electrical issues help needed

Hello fellow owners, I am new here, but I have used your awesome posts in the past to keep my baby running well at lower costs. I thank you all in advance. I have a 97 740iL and I just installed a new battery 9 days ago, after replacing the water pump and thermostat. I've been driving her everyday and aside from the radio not playing when it's hot outside, there have been no issues, until today. Like I said, a new battery was just installed and she started just fine this morning when taking the kids to school. Later this afternoon, I went to start up to go to pick the kids up and I got the click from the starter that indicated the battery was dead. I put a battery charger on and I noticed the charge indicator eye on the battery was green, so I tried to start again, this time all the interior lights flickered then everything went dead. I also noticed an electrical hum from the speakers the next time i tried to start. The only thing I've done since the battery was change the GMIII, other than that nothing. I'm hoping someone has a solution as I do not want to take it to the dealer for an official raping of my wallet. Thank you again for any help
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2014, 05:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750iL
It may seem obvious, but are the battery terminals tight, and did you clean any corrosion/deposits out from the grooves inside the terminals?
Old 08-26-2014, 05:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
Disconnect your navigation drive. Charge battery again and see what happens. A typical symptom is that you loose audio first. You think OK, no big deal but the truth is, you may have a short which drains the battery. The navigation unit gets compromised by water leaking on top of it and making it inside the unit. Water collects on inside of bottom cover which is very close to the circuit board.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 740IL
I was always told that if light flicker, it is a connection issue, if they fad away it is a low battery.
As already said in another reply, I would check all connections and then with the car running the charging system.
Next is are there any drains on the battery when car is off?, with a current meter you can see how much is.
Mike

Current vehicles
1998 BMW Blue 740IL
1980 Chev Black Corvette 4spd
2007 Buick Maroon Lucerne CXL
2002 Chev Blue Corvette 6spd
Old 08-27-2014, 12:26 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 750iL
A similar situation happened with me and it was a loose connection to the terminal. As far as the humming, I'm pretty sure it's a BMW thing because my 750 does it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-27-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn7 View Post
It may seem obvious, but are the battery terminals tight, and did you clean any corrosion/deposits out from the grooves inside the terminals?
Made sure I did that, but I did recheck just in case. Just noticed this morning that my driver side high beam light is on, no other lights
Old 08-27-2014, 01:43 AM

Umewes, Mine does not have a navigation drive, unless you're referring to the general module. If it does have a nav drive, could you please assist me in locating it
Old 08-27-2014, 05:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750iL
That GMIII change - did you code the new one to the car?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:03 AM

You got me stumped, no idea why one high beam light would be on.
This might be way out there but are any things powered up that should not be with the car off and key out, like your turn signals or wipers, I ask that because I came across it once before and it was the radio shorted in side letting power go back to fuse block. New radios have constant power to them to be able to save time, per set stations. how I found it was I disconnected all leads going to radio and car was fine (this happened to me not on a BMW).
Best of luck
Mike
ps: I bought my 2002 VETTE in Huntsville Alabama and drove it back to Canada,

Current vehicles
1998 BMW Blue 740IL
Old 08-27-2014, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto:
Electrical issues help needed

It's crazy because the same issue was happening to me with the heat and radio not working and in the past week the alternator went out and I'm not going to be replacing it this weekend. But now I feel like I need to check for shortages can someone tell me how and where to check for these? Do I check all the fuse? Or use voltmeter? I'm lost.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by bimmer_boii_E38; 08-27-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto:
Also it had never happened before I got a new battery back in april
Old 08-27-2014, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
Nav computer typically resides inside trunk. Driver side above CD player.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:40 PM

If you have a blown fuse that is a good chance of short and if replacement fuse goes as soon as you power up, it is a short. Now comes the fun part of finding the short, every one is different but if you are lucky, if it is the fuse for the radio you can take the radio in or replace it and see if you are still blowing fuses, if so it is in the wiring and good luck with that.
To see if you have something draining the battery with car off, easiest way is trial and error, pull the fuse for something that could be causing it (Radio, GPS, lights glove box/vanity mirrors, ETC)
With car running you should be seeing more than 12 volts at the battery 14 to 16, if not then your charging system is not working right.
Do you have a repair book?, the library has some if you do not have one but if you plan on doing your own work buy the BMW factory books.
Mike

Current vehicles
1998 BMW Blue 740IL
Old 09-01-2014, 01:06 PM

I just had this time to read and respond to all of your posts, YOU GUYS ARE FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You all have given me great directions and routes to take to get my baby back on the road and I thank you all very much. It is THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!!!!!