Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
JPZeller can you elaborate on why you prefer the 550ix to the 535ix. Is it just improvement in straight-line acceleration?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Go with the 550. The wife has the E60 535, which is a great car, and it is plenty fast. But the 550 is a whole different level of available power. It is truly a joy to drive. (I traded my E60 550 for the F10 550.) If I had gone with the 535 I'm sure I would have liked it, except that I would always be thinking "what if" every time I saw a 550 - the car I really wanted. Love this car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Does the m sport package come with the m sport suspension or are you referring to the dynamic package?
Xdrive deletes the m-sport suspension from m-sport line and puts it higher.

The 5-series DHP won't get it back down, your center of gravity will stay high. If it is very important to you how the things ticks around short changes in direction you probably have to test drive both. Long curves should be fine with the active roll stabilization but tiny zig-zacks is really where the plain m-sport shines.

ETA: In case you didn't spot it, if you want the Harman Kardon audio in the 550i they force you to buy the executive package. In the 535 you can get it alone.

Last edited by Squiddie; 08-27-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
I'm on my second 550i. Still awaiting redelivery from ED, but it should be any day now. In both cases, I went with RWD, even though they are not common around these northern parts. Have the snows for the winter.

Overall I average about 18-20 in my normal driving circuit, which is a lot of local driving. I do like to floor it frequently from a stop. The seamless passing power is also intoxicating. The extra 45 HP in the 2014+ is a nice addon, making the delta between the 535 and 550 145 HP. There is no getting around the fact that this is a heavy sedan, but I was able to throw it around the Nurburgring with the passive 704 suspension pretty nicely. With more leisurely driving on a highway trip, I get 24-26 MPG. The tank is not huge, so the overall range is not too great.

The 535 is probably more balanced. By comparison, I've been driving V8 cars for a while now. My first V8 powered car had 302 HP in a 2004 MB E500, nearly the same as the 535.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
End of the year decision: 535xi or 550xi? (both drivers chime in)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
Xdrive deletes the m-sport suspension from m-sport line and puts it higher.

The 5-series DHP won't get it back down, your center of gravity will stay high. If it is very important to you how the things ticks around short changes in direction you probably have to test drive both. Long curves should be fine with the active roll stabilization but tiny zig-zacks is really where the plain m-sport shines.

ETA: In case you didn't spot it, if you want the Harman Kardon audio in the 550i they force you to buy the executive package. In the 535 you can get it alone.

To add to my thoughts above in relation to this, the 550 has a heavier nose, and you do feel it to some degree if you are trying to eat up curves or even doing a hill climb. I would regard a 550 with xDrive and no DHP as being an unacceptable setup. I have DHP on mine (with xDrive) so it is manageable.

So if you go 550, try to get it without xDtive (and then optionally add DHP). If you have to have a 550 with xDrive, you have to get DHP. But also remember that it just isn't going to be great in corners.

A hill climb near my home (about 2.5K feet in about 6 miles if I remember correctly) was more fun and caused less anxiety with the lighter E60 535. In this particular case, the 550 power is actually a bit annoying because the drive is not as smooth and fluid with all of the switchbacks. You are constantly switching gears and are off the gas too quickly, things like that. And the fear factor of driving off the side of the mountain is increased.

So another reason why I'd go 535 if I had do to my lease over again is for better handling in the corners. If you don't do corners, then this reason is irrelevant.

But again, the 550 has always-available power and seemingly effortless giddy-up. So that is the plus (but the only plus).

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry

Last edited by cordoor; 08-27-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:07 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: Car with 4 wheels
These are all great posts...thank you all. I'm very curious on how a 535d would compare. I briefly test drove one, but it was bare stock and didn't seem fun initially. If I can take advantage of the 420lbs of torque and 25 mpg city, it would make a pretty good case. Not to mention, an additional 1,000 eco-credit to go on top of 1,000 UDE and (hopefully) 1,500+ holiday credit. From my test drive, I didn't hear the diesel engine until I actually popped the hood.

I've also decided to add the Dynamic Handling in conjunction with the M-sport package (and a few other packages.) Does it take 90 days to build one from the factory? And if I decided to build one, would I just put a down payment and negotiate once the vehicle gets there or prior to vehicle arrival? I'm just thinking if I order in October and miss a larger incentive in the following end months, I would kick myself in the head.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
And if I decided to build one, would I just put a down payment and negotiate once the vehicle gets there or prior to vehicle arrival? I'm just thinking if I order in October and miss a larger incentive in the following end months, I would kick myself in the head.

Down payment of $500 up front is typical. With BMW, you negotiate and lock in your rate and incentives at the time the order is placed. Then, if rates go down and/or additional incentives become available at the time of delivery, the dealer should let you know so that you can take advantage. Basically, the up-front negotiated price, rate, and incentives are the worst you can do.

The board sponsors give great deals. I worked with Jeff Martz of BMW of Lincoln (not a board sponsor) and he was great. You should get a no-need-to-negotiate deal from any of these guys.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550xi M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
JPZeller can you elaborate on why you prefer the 550ix to the 535ix. Is it just improvement in straight-line acceleration?
In a way, yes - I'd say this is due to some disappointment in the F10 535's power and handling, coming from the E60. That feeling is completely gone after moving up to the 550, despite the increase in weight, especially in the nose.

Also, though, I was dissatisfied with the appearance no-line base model of my 535, and going with M-sport and eh executive package in the 550 fixed that. Of course, M-sport is also available with the 535, as is the Jet Black color I selected, so that shouldn't be determinative for you.

Some commenters here seem to trash the 550xi w/o DHP. I can't really comment too much on that, since I haven't driven a DHP-equipped car. But it IS surprising to learn that the car I am enjoying driving so much sucks, and really isn't worth having. I'd better avoid driving a car with DHP in that case, to avoid terminal buyer's remorse.

Returning to the topic, you really can't go wrong with either car, and congratulations on narrowing your choice to these two (or three, if the 535d is in the picture) great cars.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: x
as others have said it you can not go wrong with 535xi or 550xi.

That being said, 535i is best gasoline engine BMW has to offer i would choose it and add more options compared to 550i
Old 08-28-2014, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: x
sorry double post

Last edited by lovec1990; 08-28-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:52 AM

As much as I loved the power in my FX 50 I remember hating the mpg, which is why I ended up trading it in. Sounds like I may steer towards the 535 with m sport, vdc, cold weather, and some other packages. I would stronger consider the 535d but when I searched the diesel forum, I kept reading horror stories about 3 series Diesels giving a lot of problems. Probably another search but is that all of BMWs diesels versions or just tied to the recent 3 series diesels?

I will probably avoid test driving the 550 to ensure I don't end up making a last min jump to it. Haha.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Down payment of $500 up front is typical. With BMW, you negotiate and lock in your rate and incentives at the time the order is placed. Then, if rates go down and/or additional incentives become available at the time of delivery, the dealer should let you know so that you can take advantage. Basically, the up-front negotiated price, rate, and incentives are the worst you can do.

The board sponsors give great deals. I worked with Jeff Martz of BMW of Lincoln (not a board sponsor) and he was great. You should get a no-need-to-negotiate deal from any of these guys.

That sounds great. I'll have to reach out to a sponsor in PA, especially if I build the car I want.

I read up on EU delivery and as much as I want to do it this time, I may wait until my next BMW - I can imagine EU delivery in December may be cold!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:49 AM
F10

Whenever someone asks 535 or 550 I always recommend the 550 because it is the most fun, but in your case, I would honestly say 535. I only drive 8-9k per year and the gas mileage still bothers me, I could only imagine how annoying it would be if I had to stop at the pump even more frequently.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: A car
If you can afford it go for the 550i which is amazing.

I'm a big fan of the 535i and almost bought one but you can feel the difference with a 550i...a more powerful engine is not only better acceleration and top speed.

I never understood the concerns about fuel economy from people buying 70k cars...the "more frequent stops to fill up" is a sorry excuse.....is the dollars that bother them not the stops

Someone may tell you that their 528i or 535d is almost the same, no much different in driving feel....they either do not know what they are talking about or they "have to like" their ride for other reasons.

Good luck for your choice.

Last edited by duberalles; 08-28-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto:
JPZeller, I notice you have the 2014 model year. Respected members such as Sonicendeavour have stated that BMW improved the standard suspension in MY2014. So much so that there is not much difference between the lauded 704 M Sport Suspension and the 2014 standard suspension. Believe it or not a few posters have stated they prefer the 2014 standard to M Sport. As for DHP some like it and some don't. There was a furore last year when BMW omitted M Sport Suspension from early MY 2014. Some refused to be pacified by going for DHP. It was M Sport Suspension or bust!
My conclusion is one must try the available suspension options before making a decision.

Regarding the OP, if highway driving will be prevalent then the 550i is the better option. I can't afford an M5 so I'll go for a RWD M Sport with M Sport Suspension by the year's end (if I can get the finance together....so many other priorities).
Old 08-28-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
JPZeller, I notice you have the 2014 model year. Respected members such as Sonicendeavour have stated that BMW improved the standard suspension in MY2014. So much so that there is not much difference between the lauded 704 M Sport Suspension and the 2014 standard suspension. Believe it or not a few posters have stated they prefer the 2014 standard to M Sport. As for DHP some like it and some don't. There was a furore last year when BMW omitted M Sport Suspension from early MY 2014. Some refused to be pacified by going for DHP. It was M Sport Suspension or bust!
My conclusion is one must try the available suspension options before making a decision.

Regarding the OP, if highway driving will be prevalent then the 550i is the better option. I can't afford an M5 so I'll go for a RWD M Sport with M Sport Suspension by the year's end (if I can get the finance together....so many other priorities).
Thanks for the input, Steve J. My car is X-drive; does that change your analysis?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
It's not that hard. The 535 is a very adequate engine. With a slight modification like a Burger Motorsport Tune, it is a good improvement. You will not notice the difference in every day driving. If you are going to envy everything with 550 on it, buy the 550. If you like the car, get the sports package, adjustable dampers, and enjoy it, with a 535.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto:
JPZeller since your car is x-drive it comes with standard suspension. Luckily for you, the standard suspension was upgraded for the 2014 model year, which is the year for your car. The standard suspension for MY2014 drives better than the standard for MY2013. So much so that many feel there is no longer any need for DHP.

You should take note that the complaints were geared at pre-2014 model years. I have not heard one complaint about a 2014 standard suspension 5 series. However, I have heard both complaints and praises for DHP. One fine day you should try a 2014 550i xDrive with DHP. You may well find you're not missing much!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550xi
Its an easy decision for me...

I bought a BMW because I love POWER + Control. There is quite simply no other car that has both of these elements as well balanced in this price point (yes, that includes Audi).

Since POWER is a luxury that I wanted -- no matter how seldom I may fully exploit it -- it was always the 550xi for me (snowy weather).

One test drive and I was hooked. True - the 535 performs well at lower speeds is just as torquey but you feel it flatten 65-70mph.... The 550 is just warming up at that speed....
Old 08-28-2014, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 335XI, X3, 535XI
August 2014 535xi, this car is awesome. I have the M-Sport package, and average combined mileage since purchases is 21mpg combined city and highway with 2700 miles so far. on trips, i get 28-30mpg in ecopro mode. When i want power and feel like adding the sport+ mode does it all, DHP tighter steering, and the familiar BMW growl on acceleration.

No regrets not getting the V-8 550i, and my prior 335xi had the same 300 hp engine. this car is a pleasure to drive, I have the luxury seats, larger M-sport wheels, low profile goodyear eagle run flats, and the ride is quiet and luxurious. As I said earlier when i feel like kicking it up a bit, I put it in sport or sport+ mode.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy either one....mine is Alpine White with Mocca Brown luxury interior, M-Sport, comfort access, driver assistance plus, etc.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:19 AM
BMW OBSESSION

Mein Auto: 14 535xi;14 550i M Sport
Since I have both... you will get the 535. Seems like most people freak about gas mileage. For me I could care less. It's only money. Drive what gives you the most pleasure. It's simple for us. I like power and my wife...not so much. Both have enough power so if the all mighty dollar is key ingredient here then do what 99.9% does... spend less and feel just great about that smart purchase. Besides the gas mileage I prefer a bigger engine based upon the weight of the vehicle. The acceleration in the 550 is absolutely amazing.

2014 535XI M Sport(wife) - Carbon Black / Ivory / CW / PREM / ASSIST / HK
Old 08-29-2014, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: M3
I currently have a 535i xdrive m sport and never even considered the 550 because of the long term ownership issues. I loved the power in my 06 4.4i X5 sport and wanted to keep it forever but after the valve guides wore out at 89000 miles and I was facing a $8000 repair bill I dumped it. Has BMW done anything to eliminate this issue that I know still exist on other BMW v8 models? My local garage sees about four v8 BMW's a month with the same issue I had which really scares me.
I did go for a test drive two days ago in a 550 m sport and it was an absolute kick in the pants. But at the end of the day how often are you going to keep the car floored for more than 6 seconds? It's not the fuel mileage that you'll complain about but the speeding tickets.
I'm sure if I had a 550 instead of a 535 I would be on the 550 side of this discussion.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
JPZeller since your car is x-drive it comes with standard suspension. Luckily for you, the standard suspension was upgraded for the 2014 model year, which is the year for your car. The standard suspension for MY2014 drives better than the standard for MY2013. So much so that many feel there is no longer any need for DHP.

You should take note that the complaints were geared at pre-2014 model years. I have not heard one complaint about a 2014 standard suspension 5 series. However, I have heard both complaints and praises for DHP. One fine day you should try a 2014 550i xDrive with DHP. You may well find you're not missing much!
Thanks much, SteveJ - your post was a good way to start Friday morning.

Think I'll go for a drive.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:37 AM
BMW OBSESSION

Mein Auto: 14 535xi;14 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmbl View Post
go with the 550. The wife has the e60 535, which is a great car, and it is plenty fast. But the 550 is a whole different level of available power. It is truly a joy to drive. (i traded my e60 550 for the f10 550.) if i had gone with the 535 i'm sure i would have liked it, except that i would always be thinking "what if" every time i saw a 550 - the car i really wanted. Love this car.

Sent from bimmerapp mobile app
+100

2014 535XI M Sport(wife) - Carbon Black / Ivory / CW / PREM / ASSIST / HK
Old 08-29-2014, 06:49 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
End of the year decision: 535xi or 550xi? (both drivers chime in)

I want to talk you out of xDrive. BMW uses the soft, non-sport suspension on the xDrive models, so if a sport sedan composure is of any value to you at all, DHP is a critical option. Then:
  • The xDrive model itself costs $2300 more than the RWD model
  • DHP is $3500
  • The xDrive model weighs 200 pounds more, pretty much all in the nose of the car
  • The xDrive models ride 10mm higher than the RWD models - a visual difference that compromises the sporty attitude of the car; may or may not be an issue for you
  • In my opinion, BMW should have gone farther with the damping on the DHP sort mode in the F10 - meaning that the xDrive with DHP still isn't on par with the RWD sport suspension car.
Sadly and unfortunately, the xDrive F10 is a real compromise over the RWD F10. Suspension treatment, weight, visuals. And, comparably equipped to provide a sporting drive experience, the xDrive costs a whopping $5800 more than a RWD option. Amazing.

I have owned both, sort of. Right now I have an xDrive 535 and I am living the compromise I describe above. I used to have a RWD 545 in the previous 5 series generation.

Truly, unless you live in an extremely hilly locale, a set of snow tires on a RWD car will be just fine for you. In fact, I thought my RWD car with snow tires was more stable than my AWD car with all-season tires under most circumstances. You could get a great set of snows for under $1000, and even if you wanted a dedicated set of wheels you would still be thousands ahead of the xDrive price.

Oh, on 535 v 550. I drove both and bought the 535. This is totally subjective, but I felt like the 535 was fast enough that I would not second guess the decision. So far, that has turned out to be true. It's not the same as the old days, when your choice in BMW models was "the fast one" and "the other one". They're both fast, the 550 more so.

Best luck.

EDIT:

Quote:
JPZeller, I notice you have the 2014 model year. Respected members such as Sonicendeavour have stated that BMW improved the standard suspension in MY2014. So much so that there is not much difference between the lauded 704 M Sport Suspension and the 2014 standard suspension.
I don't know whether I'm respected, but I disagree, just for the record. At least make sure you drive both, decide for yourself.

Last edited by WillInDenver; 08-29-2014 at 09:16 AM.