Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Imagine your 535i sweet inline 6 turbo.....

....bored out to 4 liter displacement and gaining a similar percentage increase in power and torque in stock form.....wouldn't be nice??

Well such car exists but only Australians (for just a little longer) can buy it....it is the Ford Falcon 4.0 Turbo (depending on trim called XR6 Turbo G6E Turbo and F6 310)

Producing up to 420 HP and about 417 ft/lb in stock form, the Ford Barra inline 6 turbo is the biggest and most powerful straight 6 in the world...and no, it is not a push rod design , its is a DOHC 24 valves all alluminum with variable timing on both intake and exhaust and variable lift.
The car is coupled with a ZF 6 speed automatic transmission.

The true believers can still get a Falcon with a V8.

...and no is not a FWD platform..........a proper RWD sedan with double pivot frost struts (the new 2015 Mustang borrowed this front suspension) and control blade independent rear suspension (so no live axle at the back!) very light for its size.

The Falcon was featured by Car And Driver in more than one article years ago and labeled as the "car that could save Ford"..I would say it could save Lincoln...

Ford Australia has tried several times to convince the higher ups in Detroit to bring the Falcon in US (at least its platform architecture).....no chance, actually Ford US tried years ago to introduce the Taurus in Australia against the advice of Ford Australia management and that was a disaster, Australians refused to buy it.

With no feasible large enough export markets (you can buy a Falcon in New Zealand, few Asian countries and South Africa) and with the North American doors shut, given the recent increase in preferences towards SUV away from sedans, the Falcon could not survive on such small numbers and the chopping block was inevitable...plans for a new generation were shelved (the current platform FG was introduced in early 2008) and production will shut down in 2016....the Aussies will get their Taurus after all

The Ford Falcon is a large sedan as big as an F10 obviously not even close with the same level of fit, finish and options (totally different price points) but has always been a hoot to drive and I had the chance several times to take a XR6 turbo for a spin (I often visit Australia)

It is interesting to mention that something similar happened to GM.....for years Holden (the GM Australian division) tried to convince the US management to bring the formidable Commodore in the US to no avail....finally in Detroit they woke up and after a first half assed attempt (remember the Cadillac Catera?) they brought stateside the Australian chassis engineers and from the Commodore underpinnings developed the Alpha platform (ATS and CTS) which effectively saved Cadillac...the Commodore original platform (what did become the Zeta platform) is what underpins the very successful new Camaro.
The unmodified Commodore arrived too late to save Pontiac..despite the brand such damaged reputation, the G8 was a big sales success. The Australian Commodore is now imported as the Chevrolet SS.
The new GM high tech DOHC V6 was developed by Holden Australia as well.
However, after effectively saving Cadillac (and boosting Chevrolet sales) the Commodore production in Australia will be shut down as well one year after the Falcon.

So yes....for decades Australians were driving locally produced (from US owned corporations) very good RWD cars where Americans were saddled with boxy and plastic clad uninspiring front drivers....

A Falcon F6 310 0 to 113 mph in 11 seconds

Ford Falcon Turbo

Last edited by duberalles; 08-29-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2014, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 x35D
Who cares about your stupid ford crap lol!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Very civilized comment, bravo. With your 20-post-long presence on this forum, please be advised this was not up to the standards here... (lol, if you believe this silly word allows one to write anything).

Old 08-29-2014, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 x35D
I'm sorry but last time I checked, this is a forum, not an English 101 class. LOL, I use as I please!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550xi
The inline 6 in the new M3/4 puts out 431HP and 405 lbs of torque from 3 litres. Maybe Ford should stick that in a Falcon? I think they'd do well if the Focus RS lands on North American shores, as is the rumour. 300hp and AWD in that little thing would be fun.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:57 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Ford desperately needs to do something for Lincoln, and I think offering a Lincoln-only performance luxury sedan is that thing. Not a car that is plainly a Fusion with extra body cladding - something like the ATS or CTS, which are unavailable elsewhere in GM's lineups.

This platform, done the right way, could be a great idea for a Lincoln flagship car. If they aren't thinking that way, they're asleep over there.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRock550 View Post
The inline 6 in the new M3/4 puts out 431HP and 405 lbs of torque from 3 litres. Maybe Ford should stick that in a Falcon? I think they'd do well if the Focus RS lands on North American shores, as is the rumour. 300hp and AWD in that little thing would be fun.
The Ford 4 liter 400+ HP is in stock form...you can tune it way more than that....no way around it, the Barra straight 6 has 33% more displacement than the 3 liter BMW.

However it is kind of lost talk, The Falcon and the 6 inline Barra engine will be dropped in 2016.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: '14 550i xDrive
Had a Falcon as a rental car when I visited Sydney a few years back. It wasn't a high performance turbocharged model, but it did have a big Inline 6 with a ZF Transmission. Far nicer to drive than the Crown Vics the rental companies were handing out in the US at the time.

Sorry to hear they're going away instead of being modernized and expanded to the rest of the world. Are the "utes" going away also, or are they living on? I fell in love with the high performance Ford and Holden "pickup cars" down under - a modern take on the El Camino with great performance.

Past: '11 335i xDrive Coupe - 6MT

Past: '08 335xi Coupe - 6MT

Euro Delivery
Old 09-01-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenski View Post
Had a Falcon as a rental car when I visited Sydney a few years back. It wasn't a high performance turbocharged model, but it did have a big Inline 6 with a ZF Transmission. Far nicer to drive than the Crown Vics the rental companies were handing out in the US at the time.

Sorry to hear they're going away instead of being modernized and expanded to the rest of the world. Are the "utes" going away also, or are they living on? I fell in love with the high performance Ford and Holden "pickup cars" down under - a modern take on the El Camino with great performance.
I believe the Falcon and Commodore based utes are goners too unfortunately.