Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-31-2014, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus LS460
Multi contour seats

I have driven a Lexus LS460 for 10 years and it has the seat adjustment where the bottom can move forward several inches which gives great thigh support all the way to your knees. I am looking at buying a 535 (i or d) and having this seat adjustment is a must for me. So I have been looking at cars with the Multi Contour Seats. With these, you can extend the front portion of the bottom seat forward several inches. However the whole seat bottom does not move, only the front section of the bottom. This leaves a "hole" or "gap" in the middle of the seat. When I test drove several cars extensively, I found that the back portion of the bottom seat (that does not move) where the "gap" exists pushes up against my legs and was very noticeable. This is with the seat adjusted on an "incline" where the front of the seat is highest and the rear of the seat is lowest. So bottom line I could feel the ridge of the seat where the "gap" exists. For me, it was very uncomfortable and is stopping me from buying a 535.

Has anyone else noticed this with Muliti Contour seats?
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2014, 08:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535dx; 2013 X5 35i
I cannot notice the gap but I also don't have that much of a difference between front(high) and back(low). I'll also say that I've been using BMW seats that have some sort of thigh support for more than 15 years so I may have gotten used to it. Personally, I have not driven in any other car with seats as comfortable as BMW's.

Current
2014 535d xDrive Imperial Blue|Amaro Brown Ext Merino|M Sport|Cold Weather|4-Zone|Driver Assistance|Driver Assistance Plus with ACC Stop & Go|Dynamic Handling Package|LED Pkg|Luxury Seating|Premium Package|Sport Automatic Transmission|Soft-Close doors|Sunshades|HK Premium Sound|Night Vision
2013 X5 35i TiAg/Blk
Past
2007 530i/6
2002 X5 4.4i
2000 540i/6
1999 M Roadster
1989 535iA
1984 533i/5
1983 533i/5
1977 530i/4
Old 08-31-2014, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedog View Post
I have driven a Lexus LS460 for 10 years and it has the seat adjustment where the bottom can move forward several inches which gives great thigh support all the way to your knees. I am looking at buying a 535 (i or d) and having this seat adjustment is a must for me. So I have been looking at cars with the Multi Contour Seats. With these, you can extend the front portion of the bottom seat forward several inches. However the whole seat bottom does not move, only the front section of the bottom. This leaves a "hole" or "gap" in the middle of the seat. When I test drove several cars extensively, I found that the back portion of the bottom seat (that does not move) where the "gap" exists pushes up against my legs and was very noticeable. This is with the seat adjusted on an "incline" where the front of the seat is highest and the rear of the seat is lowest. So bottom line I could feel the ridge of the seat where the "gap" exists. For me, it was very uncomfortable and is stopping me from buying a 535.

Did you mean LS430? I thought 460 started as 2006/2007 model.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
I sit in a more neutral flatter seating position, not like I am taking off into space, and for me the multi-contour seats are very comfortable. I wouldn't even look at a car without an extended thigh support because I've got extremely long legs and want that support.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus LS460
When I say I have owned an LS for 10 years I mean LS400, LS430 and LS460. The 430 and 460 have the bottom seat extenders.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
When I say I have owned an LS for 10 years I mean LS400, LS430 and LS460. The 430 and 460 have the bottom seat extenders.
LS seats will have you spoiled compared to the standard seats in a 5-series. The LS seats fit me and a few colleagues amazingly well and neither of us thought the same with the standard 5-series seats. Compared to the 7-series, the seats are a joke from BMW.

You don't "sink" in as much in the 5-series seats as you do with the LS, but at the same time it's a bit hard and on longer drives it does become a bit uncomfortable. I honestly have slowed down my search for a 535 unless is comes with the multi-contour seats because I can't stand the standard ones. IMO, look at a 750i with the comfort seats and you'll feel at home.
2007 Acura MDX - Nimbus Grey/Taupe
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige
Old 08-31-2014, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: BART
In my experience Multi-contour seats while allowing more adjustment options are firmer than regular seats. I personally prefer the softness of regular seats vs multi-contour - which are too firm for my taste.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:16 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
LS seats will have you spoiled compared to the standard seats in a 5-series. The LS seats fit me and a few colleagues amazingly well and neither of us thought the same with the standard 5-series seats. Compared to the 7-series, the seats are a joke from BMW.

You don't "sink" in as much in the 5-series seats as you do with the LS, but at the same time it's a bit hard and on longer drives it does become a bit uncomfortable. I honestly have slowed down my search for a 535 unless is comes with the multi-contour seats because I can't stand the standard ones. IMO, look at a 750i with the comfort seats and you'll feel at home.
Why are you "searching"? Just order what you want. I never understand this. BTW, firmer seats are much more comfortable for longer trips. I actually think even the 5-series seats have gotten a bit softer than several years ago. I can't stand a "pillow soft" seat.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 08-31-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: F10
I had a 2008 Ls460, and the seats hurt my lower back after 30 mins I tried all adjustments but eventually got used to them the comfort in my opinion was decent ,my next car was 2011 535xi with multi contour seats and they are amazing,and they are much much more comfortable than the standard seats,the gap between the seat from the extended thigh support never bothered me, I do like it out a little and find it comfortable.i liked the seats so much I got them in my 2015 535xi
Old 08-31-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Why are you "searching"? Just order what you want. I never understand this. BTW, firmer seats are much more comfortable for longer trips. I actually think even the 5-series seats have gotten a bit softer than several years ago. I can't stand a "pillow soft" seat.
:thumb up: All around.

There really is no reason to compromise on options unless you just have to have the car today. There is no added cost to order exactly what you want as long as you're picking from the standard option list.

Current
2014 535d xDrive Imperial Blue|Amaro Brown Ext Merino|M Sport|Cold Weather|4-Zone|Driver Assistance|Driver Assistance Plus with ACC Stop & Go|Dynamic Handling Package|LED Pkg|Luxury Seating|Premium Package|Sport Automatic Transmission|Soft-Close doors|Sunshades|HK Premium Sound|Night Vision
2013 X5 35i TiAg/Blk
Past
2007 530i/6
2002 X5 4.4i
2000 540i/6
1999 M Roadster
1989 535iA
1984 533i/5
1983 533i/5
1977 530i/4
Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
This post is proof that BMW's expansion strategy is working. The OP isn't in love with the F10 because its power or handling is so far superior his prior Lexus. Instead, he's obsessing about the seats. Sheesh.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 08-31-2014, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
I've had the multi-contour seats on my current and previous two BMWs; A BMW without them is a deal and butt breaker! But that's just me!

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Shop thru MrRebates for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!
Mr. Rebates
Old 08-31-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi524td View Post
I've had the multi-contour seats on my current and previous two BMWs; A BMW without them is a deal and butt breaker! But that's just me!
C'mon you multi-contour guys. The standard seats are pretty darn good. Other than the additional settings, they're about the same feel. I've had 4 BMW's, all without special seats and I've never been uncomfortable. I'm not saying the multi-contours don't provide extra comfort perhaps, I'm just saying, don't diss the standard seats -- they really are NOT crap.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 PM

For service I would get a loaner car x1,x3 and 3series can't speak for the 5 though, I wouldn't say there uncomfortable but getting back to the comfort seat is a huge difference , it's like sitting on a square flat no shape seat vs contoured molded to your body seat it's like wearing dress shoes then putting on sneakers that's my opinion,If I was in the market to buy a used 5 series no contour seats is a deal breaker for me.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-31-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
This post is proof that BMW's expansion strategy is working. The OP isn't in love with the F10 because its power or handling is so far superior his prior Lexus. Instead, he's obsessing about the seats. Sheesh.

Of course the power and handling is far superior than the Lexus that's another reason I stayed with BMW but that would be off topic,this is about multi contour seats,I myself no matter how great a car is if it's not comfortable to me I'm not buying it,that just wouldn't make sense.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:05 AM
Oh Really?

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Of course the power and handling is far superior than the Lexus that's another reason I stayed with BMW but that would be off topic,this is about multi contour seats,I myself no matter how great a car is if it's not comfortable to me I'm not buying it,that just wouldn't make sense.

I agree. No point in sacrificing what you would want when you're spending 60k+ for the vehicle. I'm sure OP appreciates the motor, suspension, etc.

2015 BMW 535xi - M Sport
Carbon Black w/ Anthracite Wood Trim
Cold Weather
Drivers Assistance
Dynamic Handling
Sports Auto Transmission
Multi-Contour Seats
HK Audio
Garbage GoodYear RFTS
Makes Pancakes in the morning
Leaves Money on Dresser
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:

I Cannot say that thigh extension gap have ever bother me. Perhaps a bit more seat time and fine adjustment is need for you to feel comfortable. Then again, you prefer the living couch pillow top feel to your seats, you will not like any European car seats, they are design to be stiffer and provide more support.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
I love my Multi-contour seats (+ Luxury option). The most comfortable car seating I've ever had including my BMW X3 Sport Seats. I had Acuras and Toyotas in the past. I can go for a 4 hour ride and my back feels fine afterwards.

I've read quite a few posts on the subject of seat comfort. There are many of us who have back issues, and in my opinion because of everyone's unique body shape, certain car seats just won't be right for certain people.

Since the OP is so concerned about seat comfort, I'd highly recommend getting the Luxury Seats option, which adds a massage feature to the seat bottom. The bottom of the seat gently moves forward to back, and right to left which increases circulation for the driver and front seat passenger. Great option especially for long rides.

I'm 5'11" and 190# although I don't think height and weight are the only factors in judging whether a certain car seat will be more comfortable than anothers.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 09-02-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Since the OP is so concerned about seat comfort, I'd highly recommend getting the Luxury Seats option, which adds a massage feature to the seat bottom. The bottom of the seat gently moves forward to back, and right to left which increases circulation for the driver and front seat passenger. Great option especially for long rides.
Personally I didn't like this feature. The movement is stronger than I expected and not very relaxing. Perhaps I will give it another try, but I was not impressed.

When you switch cars it is inevitable that it will take some time to get used to the new seats. First impressions are not necessarily accurate. Our bodies are quite adaptable.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
C'mon you multi-contour guys. The standard seats are pretty darn good. Other than the additional settings, they're about the same feel. I've had 4 BMW's, all without special seats and I've never been uncomfortable. I'm not saying the multi-contours don't provide extra comfort perhaps, I'm just saying, don't diss the standard seats -- they really are NOT crap.
IMO, standard seats are pretty good. Okay. But not great. That's not to say you HAVE to have contour/comfort seats. I've had sport seats in my e39 that also came with bolsters and extended leg support and those seats were wonderful (for me).

Current
2013 X5 35i TiAg/Blk
Past
2007 530i/6
2002 X5 4.4i
2000 540i/6
1999 M Roadster
1989 535iA
1984 533i/5
1983 533i/5
1977 530i/4
Old 09-01-2014, 06:04 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaRedM View Post
IMO, standard seats are pretty good. Okay. But not great. That's not to say you HAVE to have contour/comfort seats. I've had sport seats in my e39 that also came with bolsters and extended leg support and those seats were wonderful (for me).
The sports seats are really "extended support" seats. They have nothing in common with the bucket seats that you find in a Mercedes with sport seats.

I just wish BMW wouldn't make seat ventilation a feature that only comes with the multicontour seats which are a silly feature IMHO.

BTW, is the seat ventilation connected to the air conditioning? Or is it just cabin air?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
BTW, is the seat ventilation connected to the air conditioning? Or is it just cabin air?
Cabin air, and from what we've read in previous posts, the air is sucked down into the seat and exhausted underneath. So cold air is not blowing up through the seat.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:07 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Quote:
Cabin air, and from what we've read in previous posts, the air is sucked down into the seat and exhausted underneath. So cold air is not blowing up through the seat.
That's quite disappointing since the Infinity has the A/C blowing cold there (or hot, too). For a bit less than the $2400.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveD View Post
Personally I didn't like this feature. The movement is stronger than I expected and not very relaxing. Perhaps I will give it another try, but I was not impressed.

When you switch cars it is inevitable that it will take some time to get used to the new seats. First impressions are not necessarily accurate. Our bodies are quite adaptable.
The movement is designed to move your body lightly so it doesn't get fatigued in the seat in the same position. Many 7-series guys have talked about this since 2002 and it's helped a lot on long drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
The sports seats are really "extended support" seats. They have nothing in common with the bucket seats that you find in a Mercedes with sport seats.

I just wish BMW wouldn't make seat ventilation a feature that only comes with the multicontour seats which are a silly feature IMHO.

BMW nickels and dimes you to death but sometimes it's worth it. The cooled seats aren't with "air conditioning" but they do move a bit of air. In my 760 the seats will get comfortable and cool after 3-5 minutes of the fan running if I leave the car in the sun. The moving air from the seats helps wick away sweat and as well isn't that startling like the A/C seats I had in a Lincoln MKZ. I assure you that they do work, but not as well as some other automakers.
2007 Acura MDX - Nimbus Grey/Taupe
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige
Old 09-02-2014, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
I love my Luxury Seats for the massage feature- use it most times I'm in the car. I don't use the ventilation from the seats very often- nice added feature for my occasional use.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.