Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-01-2014, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328i
Stripped bolt on '07 328i starter removal.

So there I am, knee deep in removing my starter. Every thing that's in the way, is out. My air filter box, throttle assembly, electrical distribution unit, and my intake manifold. I go to take the two bolts off holding the starter in place, I get the right one off perfect, boom good. Then I go to the left one and it's already stripped, rounded and all. and I didn't even touch it yet. I could tell someone had replaced the starter once before, and put two entirely different bolts on it. I tried a bolt extractor no luck, penetration oil did no help either. So I sent my girlfriend to Lowes for a Chisel, to cut a slice in it and use a Flathead to get it out. She comes back with a Irwin's "Grab It" tool similar to a easy out tool. That didn't work cause I couldn't get my drill back in that tiny space. So we both go back get the chisel, come back and long story short the entire bolt head is off and I'm in a worse situation than when I started. Any suggestions or tips on what I should do?

M
Happy F**king Labor Day!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Advertisement
Old 09-02-2014, 05:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
so is the starter held on by 2 long bolts and they are Al too. My 335 bentley book shows one from the front side and one thru the back, which one did you get out and which on did you strip the head off?

either way you should be able to slide the starter out if you twisted the head off?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Left hand drill bit and a flexible extension

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 09-02-2014, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: i walk
I would go for the "drill out" I hear they are aluminum bolts, so they should be easy to drill out. I also hear they are supposed to be replaced when you replace the starter, sound like the last guy who replaced the starter did not do that.

If the drill out does not work and it comes down to it, I would cut a slit in the starter housing around the bolt and then chisel it till that part of the housing brakes off, then that should free it up.

PS.

We got to drive that bad boy back to *Cali* bro!

Last edited by idonthaveaBMW; 09-02-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Don't use a right hand drill bit.

It will spin the bolt further into the hole.

With a left hand bit, as your drilling it may catch and spin the bolt out of hole.

Start with a small bit, maybe 1/8" or 1/4"

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 09-02-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idonthaveaBMW View Post
I would go for the "drill out" I hear they are aluminum bolts, so they should be easy to drill out. I also hear they are supposed to be replaced when you replace the starter, sound like the last guy who replaced the starter did not do that.

If the drill out does not work and it comes down to it, I would cut a slit in the starter housing around the bolt and then chisel it till that part of the housing brakes off, then that should free it up.

PS.

We got to drive that bad boy back to *Cali* bro!

Hahah thanks Mr. idonthaveaBMW!
I'm on it! I'll let you know how it turns out

Old 09-02-2014, 01:25 PM

I would be more inclined to cut the starter housing apart first and once you removed the starter you can get a pair of vice grips on the bolt or if you know someone with a Tig welder, get an AL Nut big enough to slide over the head and TIG weld in on then try to unscrew it. that starter housing should not be tapped is it? you could cut the bolt flush with the starter housing and it should slid off? if there is enough room in front of the starter
Old 09-02-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
that starter housing should not be tapped is it? you could cut the bolt flush with the starter housing and it should slid off? if there is enough room in front of the starter
I was thinking the same thing, but from what i see it looks like it is threaded, so even if the head of the bolt is off, the threads would keep it from sliding outů

Old 09-02-2014, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Starter

If the bolt head is off the starter should come off no threads in block only on short bolt rt side. It is corroded on the flange to the block. Chisel idea is the only way to go or saw try starter flange.

I.m sure this car has been in water over the starter.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:48 PM

bolt

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, but from what i see it looks like it is threaded, so even if the head of the bolt is off, the threads would keep it from sliding outů

No the threads would not keep it from coming out . It should come out bolt and all id head is off bolt
Old 09-03-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by updownsidewall View Post
No the threads would not keep it from coming out . It should come out bolt and all id head is off bolt
if that is the correct starter, that makes no sense. that bolt should screw in from the back into the threads, as you see the bottom hole doesn't have threads and so that bolt should slide in from the front and the block should have the threads, actually every car I have worked on the starters and the block had no threads, they were all thru bolts and nuts on the ends
Old 09-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderoo_328i View Post
I'm on it! I'll let you know how it turns out

I heard it was raining in your hood bro!

Looks like rain all week too....

Old 09-03-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I heard it was raining in your hood bro!

Looks like rain all week too....

here in the south we get the nasty afternoon thunder storms, that doesn't mean its raining all day
Old 09-05-2014, 04:41 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1409956857.306111.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	462736 got it off.
I used a Reciprocating Saw.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:42 PM

I found what the problem was some one out the bolt in backwards

Old 09-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Canyon Carver

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
Quote:
Attachment 462736 got it off.

Glad that you got it off and (presumably) the new starter installed.

Unfortunately, you certainly won't be getting a core charge refund for the removed starter ...

Old 09-05-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:

got it off.

Awesome, whats up with the hose i heard you might have broke? What it a vacuum hose? Did they have it at the BMW shop?
Old 09-05-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborascal View Post
Glad that you got it off and (presumably) the new starter installed.

Unfortunately, you certainly won't be getting a core charge refund for the removed starter ...

Yea I did lol AutoZone gladly took it. lol

Old 09-05-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Awesome, whats up with the hose i heard you might have broke? What it a vacuum hose? Did they have it at the BMW shop?

Yea It was the Crankcase Breather hose. I found it online for like 40 bucks. But I can't wait long for it to get here. Luckily there is a BMW dealership close by, and the parts and service center is open on Saturdays. Hopefully they don't charge me an Arm an a Leg.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:23 PM

Sorry forgot to let you guys know. Everything went well.
After I put everything back together my car was shaking pretty bad, so I tightened my manifold and throttle body and it went away. Then my check engine light came on and said I had misfires in cylinders 1, 3, and 4 so I took off my spark plugs wiped them off and wiped off my coils. Started it back up and ran it for a little while now everything is back to normal. Thank all of you for your help!

Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Thanks for the follow up! Scary stuff for sure.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
After I put everything back together my car was shaking pretty bad, so I tightened my manifold and throttle body and it went away. Then my check engine light came on and said I had misfires in cylinders 1, 3, and 4 so I took off my spark plugs wiped them off and wiped off my coils. Started it back up and ran it for a little while now everything is back to normal. Thank all of you for your help!

that is why you need a torque wrench when you work on plastic parts on these cars and all New gaskets and bolts where directed and follow the tighten sequences, its a must so you dont have a manifold leak

great job!
Old 09-11-2014, 09:00 AM

shaking

Quote:

Mine did the same thing, I just let it smooth out and then it was okay. Happy for you that it all came out okay. Lots of good help here on the web. You saved 1200 dollars. Its worth the effort and a world of experience.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Awesome, now we don't have to hitchhike back to *Cali*