Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest Regional > Regional Forums > Southwest Regional - AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, and UT

Southwest Regional - AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, and UT
Regional forum for members in AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, and UT.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Exclamation Front License Plate Requirements in TX

The law in TX clearly states that TX registered cars must display a front a license plate. I had heard that there was no specific requirement that the plate be mounted on the front bumper or in front of the car for that matter. Finally today I found a statement that came from the horse's mouth (DPS's webpage). The law only says that the front license plate must be visible from the front. Technically you can set your plate standing up on your dashboard when you travel through known traps and you should be safe. In the 5 years I have lived in Houston I have not been stopped for a lack of front plate.

Apparently one of our fellow Houstonians, Armaq, discovered that there is undue enforcement of this requirement at Bissonnet and the SW Freeway. See his post here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=145.

The lack of specifics for locating your plate is shown on DPS's website here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/faq_item.htm

Last edited by LDV330i; 11-24-2004 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Link to DPS corrected
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2004, 05:03 PM
Hare Herald

Mein Auto: 4 X5 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
The lack of specifics for locating your plate is shown on DPS's website here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/faq_item.htm:
Thanks for the info. Corrected link (you have a colon at the end):

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/faq_item.htm
Old 11-23-2004, 05:26 PM
mmm... carbs!

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
So technically, you could put it upside down and have it turned around so it is facing away from the windscreen.

After all, the plate itself is still visible from the front.

Old 11-24-2004, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haigha
Thanks for the info. Corrected link (you have a colon at the end):

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/faq_item.htm
Thanks. That is what happens when you try to post on the run while at work. Do not want to show up on the logs as spending too much time on BF lest the Gestapo IT police let your bosses you are goofing off.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:16 AM
Hare Herald

Mein Auto: 4 X5 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
Thanks. That is what happens when you try to post on the run while at work. Do not want to show up on the logs as spending too much time on BF lest the Gestapo IT police let your bosses you are goofing off.
This is one of the advantages of working for yourself... you can waste as much time as you want here
Old 11-28-2004, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspeedy
So technically, you could put it upside down and have it turned around so it is facing away from the windscreen.

After all, the plate itself is still visible from the front.

I do not think that would meet the requirements for visibility in a new law passed last summer. I have seen somebody in my neighborhood run around with his front plate inserted into his passenger side A pillar. The long side is stuck into the pillar so you have to turn your head sideways to read the numbers.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Hydrocarbon Man

Mein Auto: 991 GT3
The Memorial Villages can also be nitpickers on this, but I have found it really depends on what kind of car you drive.

My two younger brothers get stopped and usually warned (older Mitsu Eclipse and 3000GT,) while neither myself nor my Dad or stepmother (multi Lexi) have had any problems.

I would personally just pay the stupid fine.