Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-26-2004, 07:04 PM
Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: X5 & E90
iPod BMW kit problem

I installed the kit today and took pictures along the way for a future write up. Everything looks good but there is one problem: nothing works.

I followed the instructions and located everything. The only deviation from the instructions was the color of one of the wires. The instructions actually note that some wire colors will vary depending on model year but since it was only one out of four wires it was easy. All of the other wires were as indicated in the instructions. Other than pulling some wires and recrimping them to plug into the iPod harness, it was fairly straightforward.

The problem is simply that the radio does not turn on nor does the OBC/MID show anything; not even the clock. I checked the fuse for the radio and OBC and it is good. All the plugs are connected. I suspect that one of my newly crimped wires, attached to the supplied bullet connectors, is loose and I would redo it except it's a major PITA to get the bullet connectors out of the plug they go into. They snapped in and now I can't get them out to check the crimp. (See the attached pic for the plug I'm referring to.)

Any ideas as to why the radio and the OBC/MID doesn't work? (Actually, I think the OBC works because the MID in the instrument cluster does display the correct time.) Any suggestions on how to get the bullet connectors out? You might be thinking that I picked the wrong wires but I do not think this is the problem because the iPod harness has a set of four wires that match up with the four wires pulled from the radio harness and the colors of those match the colors of the iPod harness. Easy enough. It's at the connection depicted in the picture that these wires come together.

Help!

BTW:

This is being installed on my 03/02 production X5; no DSP; no navigation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	40514  
Old 11-27-2004, 05:58 AM
RF Refugee

Send a message via AIM to Kaefer
Mein Auto: '03 3.0L X5
I don't have an answer for you. HOWEVER, when my dealer installed the kit on my X, it took them so long to figure it out, I ended up getting a loaner!! Admittedly, I was the first one who had it done (they did not even know about it when I asked), but it took them all day. When I picked it up the next day, they said te same thing: "Nothing was working." They obviously figured it out eventually, but it did take them longer than anyone expected.

You may want to call your local stealer and ask the shop what the trick is.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know what the deal is/was.

Juan
Old 11-27-2004, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
I did the same install three months ago. I had similar problems in getting the radio to work after the hook up. I simply went back and trace all the wires eventhough I was pretty sure that everything was installed correctly. It just so happen the power wire (thick, brown color) was switched. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Make sure you check ALL the fuses. There are some in the rear right panel in the cargo are--I installed my kit and blew a fuse in the back... had the exact same symptoms and replaced the fuse--it was fine. Don't just rely on the fuses in the glove box (although I'm sure you probably checked 'em all anyway)
Old 11-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: X5 & E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkane
Make sure you check ALL the fuses. There are some in the rear right panel in the cargo are--I installed my kit and blew a fuse in the back... had the exact same symptoms and replaced the fuse--it was fine. Don't just rely on the fuses in the glove box (although I'm sure you probably checked 'em all anyway)
Done! I blew the fuse in the back too. The front fuse was fine though. It's all good now. I am so glad that that was the problem rather than some mysterious wiring problem. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata
Done! I blew the fuse in the back too. The front fuse was fine though. It's all good now. I am so glad that that was the problem rather than some mysterious wiring problem. Thanks.
Cool, glad you got it resolved. Looking forward to feedback and pics
Old 11-29-2004, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: '01 BMW X5
Guys? Give me some info on that kit? I was not aware it existed. What model year cars? Cost?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry, doing my homework now, reading the search database. I would however like to know what year model cars is this available for, and since my pro CD/Radio was installed after I got the car if that cutoff date has to do with the wiring of the car or with the production date of the radio.
Thanks.

Nick TThe X5 Greek
'01 3.0 Silver on that strange but so good greenish tan leather!
Pics here: Fotki Album
Oh! And did that nice self mod on the garage remote control intergration: Here is how

Last edited by NickTTheX5Greek; 11-29-2004 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Came to addnl info