BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DIY - E60 brake pads

7K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  bym007 
#1 ·
Although there are number of brake pads DIY, I just did mine recently and thought to post it. Note, I used the brake grease as it helps to avoid the squeal some people complain about.

Attachments

#2 · (Edited)
Forgot to include the last step to be done after the brake pads replacement.
How to "Bed" the brakes
This is a two step process;
  1. Get the brake pads to optimal heat before bedding, DO NOT BED THE COLD BRAKE PADS.
    • Start driving the car at 60kmph and then bring it 40 kmph gradually and repeat this for about 4-5 times to bring the brake pads to optimal heat. Alternatively, if you drive for about 30minutes in normal traffic, the brakes will heat up.
  2. BED the brake pads once they are hot, AND THEN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, DRIVE AT 60KMPH FOR ATLEAST 10 MINUTES WITHOUT USING THE BRAKES SO THEY CAN COOL OFF. But if you have to brake for safety, do not hesitate.
    • Once the brakes are heated, drive at 100kmph and use excessive force or hard on the brake to bring the car to 60kmph and then speed up again to brake again. Repeat this 7-10 times until you feel the brake power is wearing off or you have reached 10 times and then drive for 10 minutes on 60kmph or speed limit to cool the brakes. Depending on the pads you are using, the brakes may begin to fade slightly after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A bad smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal. During the last 10 minutes it is important that you must not come to a complete stop because you will transfer (imprint) pad material onto the hot rotors, which can lead to vibration, uneven braking, and could even ruin the rotors. But for safety purpose to avoid an accident feel free to do so.

#4 ·
Report back if any steps I missed or did not work for you, so I can update. Also, would be good to know what brand of pads you changed to and from :)

#5 ·
Hi kskane,

How often do you change your brake pads?
I am currently using after market Akebono pads, installed at about 174,000km, and now its past 206,000km.
Do I need to change the brake pads any time soon?
Thanks.

#9 ·
Sorry mate, I have never touched my shocks, they are original and running okay for 250k's, touch wood :). Are you having issues with you shocks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.