Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-27-2005, 05:08 PM
...worked on the railroad

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
getting reimbursed...("as the ignition coils turn")

Greetings and Happy Holidays, fellow Bimmerphiles!

And now, time for another episode in the continuing saga of one Karl Bimmer, a 2003 325i - "As The Ignition Coils Turn"

April 2005: All six coils were replaced, due to a failure of one coil, per a BMW Service Bulletin. I whip out the faithful Discover Card, and cough up about $400.00.

December 2005: I receive a letter in the mail, saying that there is a recall campaign on ignition coils, and that BMW would replace them free of charge. I call BMWNA, who told me to have Karl Bimmer inspected at an official BMW dealer; if the coils in the car were according to spec, I could be reimbursed

So, I wend my way to Crevier, and am told that yes, Taylor Independent BMW Service did replace the Bremi coils with the updated Bosch coils and that I would be getting a check in the mail

However, I was a bit dismayed by the next words I heard; the inspection tech had the following recommendations:
  • Coolant Flush
  • Brake Fluid Flush (this was done in August 2004, courtesy of The HACK, Raffi, et al)
  • Steering Fluid Flush
  • Rear Brakes at 3%
  • Rear Tires on tread marks (I think this is what she said)

Now, I'm not doubting that Karl may need the above, but I am a bit suspicious that there could be some revenue recovery going on here

So...I'm going to take Crevier's recommendations to Taylor, who have proven themselves again and again, and if they concur, then I'll have Taylor do the work

At this point in time, Karl Bimmer has 90,658 miles, 145,052 kilometers, Herr Moderator . I've had the car three years (well, it is the "Ultimate Driving Machine!"
Old 12-27-2005, 05:27 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Well, coolant flush is every 4 years now, so it isn't really due.

Brake flush IS every 2 years, but you can get help and do that yourself (along with the coolant flush).

Never heard of a power steering fluid flush recommendation, but that is VERY easy to DIY. Open resevoir, suck out old fluid, put in new.

Rear brakes are easy to check.

Rear tires are very easy to check. Just look for bands across the tread called wear bars. Or take a penny, put in the tread with Lincoln's head closest to the tread. If you can see the top of his head, the tires are gone.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 12-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
If you can wait until late January, you may be eligible for a free coolant, brake, and PS fluid flush.

You just may need to drive across L.A. to where-ever the next TechSession may be held AND provide your own fluids. BMW Coolant (one jug), 2 gallon bottles of distilled water, 2 liters of brake fluid, and 1 liter of Dexron III power steering fluid/ATF.

While you are at it, you should also change out your fuel filter, transmission fluid, and diff fluid if you have not done so. Transmission fluid: Either Redline or Royal Purple MTL, diff fluid is 75w-90 if I'm not mistaken.

But feel free to have an indy work on it if the car can't (and probably shouldn't) wait for all the maintenance stuff.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:51 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
I am liking the BMW LTF2 fluid for the tranny, especially on later model cars.

Nie thing about a tech session is one jug can do 3 cars, and at $120 per jug, that is a GOOD thing.

Only thing I can see not waiting on is the brakes and possibly the tires. But tires you will probably want to order through Tire Rack anyway or a local tire store, NOT the dealer.

Everything else listed is no problem waiting a month or two or even a year.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 12-28-2005, 04:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
I am liking the BMW LTF2 fluid for the tranny, especially on later model cars.

Nie thing about a tech session is one jug can do 3 cars, and at $120 per jug, that is a GOOD thing.

Only thing I can see not waiting on is the brakes and possibly the tires. But tires you will probably want to order through Tire Rack anyway or a local tire store, NOT the dealer.

Everything else listed is no problem waiting a month or two or even a year.
No, just to be clear, one jug will do 2 E46 M3s and 1 regular E46, or 4 regular E46es.

The M3 uses way more fluid than normal cars.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)