Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 06-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Mig29 Send a message via AIM to Mig29 Send a message via Yahoo to Mig29
Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddreamer1984 View Post
I've read the posts regarding replacing the 49 DL battery into a e46 BMW and would really like to try this on my car. However, the BMW dealership is telling me that only a BMW battery will sync correctly with my car's computer. They told me that if I replace it with any other battery without resetting the computer, then my alternator will burn out in 3 weeks. Has anyone else heard this line? It sounds like crap to me, based on what I have read here, but I really need to make sure. Not sure how much they might charge me for a new alternator... grr...

Thanks!

2002 BMW 325ci
Which dealership is that so we could avoid it.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 325ci
Arlington and Fort Worth BMW dealerships. Both told me the same thing.

2002 BMW 325ci
Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: '02 330ci
Quote:
I've read the posts regarding replacing the 49 DL battery into a e46 BMW and would really like to try this on my car. However, the BMW dealership is telling me that only a BMW battery will sync correctly with my car's computer. They told me that if I replace it with any other battery without resetting the computer, then my alternator will burn out in 3 weeks. Has anyone else heard this line? It sounds like crap to me, based on what I have read here, but I really need to make sure. Not sure how much they might charge me for a new alternator... grr...

Thanks!

2002 BMW 325ci
Boy...what a line. I despise the car guys who try to make us buy out of fear. For example, they looked at my wife's tires and said...'geez, you are going to need new tires...it's not dangerous, but I just wouldn't drive on the highway' Then when I called for tires the other day (not dealer), asking for a specific tire, the salesman said that 'those tires aren't made for your car....XYZ brand is the best.'

You know, I have friends in the car business who have suffered, but it's numb nuts like these guys who I hope will get flushed out of the business with this recession.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
Quote:

Thanks!

2002 BMW 325ci
That is complete BS they are feeding you. If you gave the skills, just change your own battery with the 49DL and you will be fine.

It really is a shame a dealer would try to rip you like this.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330Ci
Does anyone have experience wit the Super Start Battery 94REXTJ from Kragen? I called them and they recommended that part, mentioning it's new; their web site also links to it for my model. Price is $149 and warranty is 84 mo. I was in a pinch and picked one up for my '03 330CI; it definitely fits, but I can't find much info on it which is disconcerting.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 PM

The replacement battery for your car is actually a 94-series battery and that Kragen battery looks like a 94-series, so you should be good to go. The 49-DL is only suggested because it fits fine and is more readily available than a 94-series in most towns.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Alan View Post
The replacement battery for your car is actually a 94-series battery and that Kragen battery looks like a 94-series, so you should be good to go. The 49-DL is only suggested because it fits fine and is more readily available than a 94-series in most towns.
Cool, that's what I suspected, thanks for confirming. The model is closed (no vent) which may explain why it's a bit more. Size is near identical to the OEM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: bmw, porsche, mercedies
Interstate battery

I just replaced my battery in my 2000 323i with an Interstate H-7 It was a perfect fit, even the vent hole was in the same place and was the same size fitting. Paid $119.00 at a local gas station (platinum interstate dealer). I have been a fan of Interstate Batteries for the last 40 years and have run them in all my race cars
Old 09-19-2009, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i
My battery died a month ago and I bought a new one today its died again what could be the problme.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:22 AM

Assuming your car is charging the battery, it could be any of a number of things wrong with your car. There are lots of widgets in your car that can go bad and cause a draw on the battery after the car is shut off. I would take it to the dealer to diagnose.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
AutoZone 49-DL will NOT fit in 2001 325 convertible

The 49-DL battery from AutoZone will NOT fit in the 325ci convertible.

Use the 94-DL instead. It sells for around $139 and has a better warranty.

I got it for $105 because the guy gave me the 49-DL first and I had to bring it back.

FYI- the 49-DL was selling for $89.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 325 ci
clock doesn't hold time

So i had my battery replaced. i gave the tech my radio card to for the radio.
The radio works fine but the clock won't hold the time.

Every time i turn the car on i get the --:-- display and no matter how many times i set the clock, as soon as i turn off the engine, the clock goes dead.

Same for the trip odometer, MPG calc, etc..

Any ideas?
Old 12-29-2009, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Did the same as everyone else on here for my 2004 325i. I accidentally killed my battery on Sunday (left the lights on for two hours -- forgot I didn't have the auto lights on). I jumped it, ran it for half an hour, and it started fine one time that afternoon. I left it in my garage overnight, and it struggled to turn over on Monday morning. Went to work (35 minute drive), found this page, and when I left work, it was struggling again. Drove it home (35 mins again), went straight to Autozone and bought the Duralast 49-DL for $92.99. Just for kicks, I called the dealership and asked if it was covered under either my warranty or maintenance plans, and they said it was not because it's a "consumable." (Aren't wipers, spark plugs, and oil consumables too?) Just goes to show you -- when they say the extended maintenance plan "covers everything but the tires," take it with a grain of salt. I didn't ask whether it would void my warranty, but I'll be ticked off if they try to pull that one. In any case, I still had my OEM battery from when I bought the car in September of 2004, so over five years later, I figured I was due for a new battery anyway.

The indicator in my OEM battery was black, which suggested it just needed to be charged. (Green was "good," black was "needs to be charged," and yellow was "replace battery.") It wasn't yellow, so I'm not sure if I just didn't charge the battery all the way, although I figured a 35 minute drive to work at 4000 rpm should be enough to charge it. Also, I noticed that the last few times it struggled to start, as soon as the engine turned on, the yellow traction control light would come on, and the brake and abs lights showed up in yellow, the headlights wouldn't come on right away, and the radio had no bass - only a tin-sound. A few seconds later, the warning lights would go off, headlights would come on, and radio would go back to normal. Odd, but I figured it might have been some sort of power saving measure that I'm not familiar with. Out of curiosity, anyone know why it does that?

Installation of the 49-DL was a snap. Hardest part was getting the plastic cover off the battery compartment. I snipped the tube to size, attached it, connected the terminals, tightened the metal bracket back down, and the car fired right up. The battery was a tight fit, but it fits. It reset my trip odometer and clock, but I didn't have to do anything with my radio -- just set the time. This morning, same thing -- very strong start. Also, unlike the last poster, no problems with trip odo or clock on restart on mine.

So, I really don't have anything new to add to this thread other than my own personal experience that this works fine.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: '02 330ci
Good job and good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2407 View Post
Did the same as everyone else on here for my 2004 325i. I accidentally killed my battery on Sunday (left the lights on for two hours -- forgot I didn't have the auto lights on). I jumped it, ran it for half an hour, and it started fine one time that afternoon. I left it in my garage overnight, and it struggled to turn over on Monday morning. Went to work (35 minute drive), found this page, and when I left work, it was struggling again. Drove it home (35 mins again), went straight to Autozone and bought the Duralast 49-DL for $92.99. Just for kicks, I called the dealership and asked if it was covered under either my warranty or maintenance plans, and they said it was not because it's a "consumable." (Aren't wipers, spark plugs, and oil consumables too?) Just goes to show you -- when they say the extended maintenance plan "covers everything but the tires," take it with a grain of salt. I didn't ask whether it would void my warranty, but I'll be ticked off if they try to pull that one. In any case, I still had my OEM battery from when I bought the car in September of 2004, so over five years later, I figured I was due for a new battery anyway.

The indicator in my OEM battery was black, which suggested it just needed to be charged. (Green was "good," black was "needs to be charged," and yellow was "replace battery.") It wasn't yellow, so I'm not sure if I just didn't charge the battery all the way, although I figured a 35 minute drive to work at 4000 rpm should be enough to charge it. Also, I noticed that the last few times it struggled to start, as soon as the engine turned on, the yellow traction control light would come on, and the brake and abs lights showed up in yellow, the headlights wouldn't come on right away, and the radio had no bass - only a tin-sound. A few seconds later, the warning lights would go off, headlights would come on, and radio would go back to normal. Odd, but I figured it might have been some sort of power saving measure that I'm not familiar with. Out of curiosity, anyone know why it does that?

Installation of the 49-DL was a snap. Hardest part was getting the plastic cover off the battery compartment. I snipped the tube to size, attached it, connected the terminals, tightened the metal bracket back down, and the car fired right up. The battery was a tight fit, but it fits. It reset my trip odometer and clock, but I didn't have to do anything with my radio -- just set the time. This morning, same thing -- very strong start. Also, unlike the last poster, no problems with trip odo or clock on restart on mine.

So, I really don't have anything new to add to this thread other than my own personal experience that this works fine.
It's great to hear that this worked for you... I for one am not real handy, but even I was able to do this. It helps to hear others' successes, especially when our repair SDealers want an arm and a leg for things like this!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Hello...new to this site...have enjoyed all the posts on battery related problems.

I own a 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i...my battery just died today coming home from the gym and some errands. Parked the car in the garage...try to restart it..to make sure it was nothing but a fluke...and there it was...plenty of lights on and radio with dash board indicators lit...but the car would not turn at all. Not sure if it is the battery at this point or the electronic ignition...I am in no means a mechanic...the car has plenty of warranty on it was just 21k miles.

Just learned that to replace my battery would cost $341.17 here within the bay area. Hoping that I may have luck with the Duralast 49dl as you all have. But...concerned about all the electronic widgets that BMW's have.

Can anyone advise as to the type of battery I may be able to purchase other than that from a dealership.

Would appreciate a response. Thanks again...for such a great informative blog.

Eddie
Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Thanks for all of the previous notes. I had to replace the original battery in my 330i last week. The Autozone 49-DL drops right in. I will say that 6+ years is the most I've ever gotten out of a factory battery!

2003 330i ZHP 6MT sedan
Old 01-25-2010, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the website, but am having some major issues with my '04 330i and need help from people who know what's going on besides BMW who simply will charge me a million dollars as always! About a week or so ago, I left my headlights on by mistake and drained the battery which required a jumpstart. Since then my car would start, but not like before. It was very "if-y" each time since then. Saturday night when I got home at around 2am my car was fine, but on Sunday morning I have all kinds of warning signs on, however, if I jump the car they go away for a little while. I want to start with the battery to see if that resolves the issue and then go from there. From what I've read thus far Autozone's 49-DL will work great vs. going with a BMW brand. Does that sound right? Thank you so much!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 AM

It sounds to me like you need a new battery.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:49 AM
Tires hate my 335d

Mein Auto: 2004 330Xi, 2009 335d
My 2004 330Xi battery light started flickering under acceleration.
Saw this thread.
Called AutoZone. Duralast 49-DL $94.99. I asked why it was not $69 like other in the Internets had paid. He stated it is probably a "zone thing", I asked was it due to him having no competition in the Charlottesville, Virginia area. He responded that he had plenty of competition. I laughed.

no one has answered the 'battery Light' question...
Old 03-10-2010, 12:32 PM

Bill>> I just checked Autozone's web site for local pickup of that battery here in SoCal and it also $94.99. I think the $69 prices you are seeing may be outdated.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Tires hate my 335d

Mein Auto: 2004 330Xi, 2009 335d
Ya, I know, I am always one for price matching or a discount.

Got the new battery, commute is 50 miles or so home, at 45 miles the battery light came on again. Taking the car in next week to get the alternator looked at and fixed under my warranty.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: A car
if you're near a COSTCO. Check them out, got one that fit for $60, 700 ccamps w/vent tube
Old 03-21-2010, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5
When the manual for 04 525 says it is a lifetime battery : waht does that mean in practice?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel View Post
When the manual for 04 525 says it is a lifetime battery : waht does that mean in practice?
I think by that they mean you never have to add water, it does not mean the battery lasts forever. Battery life depends a great deal on how you drive and the weather where you live.

Combine short trips with high temps and you get much shorter battery life. Myself and others in hot desert climates have gotten as little as two or three years out of a battery, while others in cool climates report five years and up.

If I were you with a six year old car, I would put in a new battery rather than wait to get stranded somewhere in the dark.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5
Thank you Alan, but can one add water into original E60 batteries?