Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-18-2004, 05:19 PM
BahnBaum's Avatar
BahnBaum BahnBaum is offline
Empowered Consumer
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,051
Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Installed this today.

Butt-dyno says, "Ehhhhhhhh." Ear-dyno says, "Tasty!".




Alex
__________________
Interrobanged.

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!



Last edited by BahnBaum; 12-18-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 12-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Mike@Modbargains's Avatar
Mike@Modbargains Mike@Modbargains is offline
'Fest Sponsor
Location: Brea, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 189
Send a message via AIM to Mike@Modbargains
Mein Auto: 2000 323Ci
I like it
__________________
ModBargains Specializes in:

BMW Wheels | BMW Exhaust | BMW Parts | Forgestar Wheels | VMR Wheels
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-18-2004, 06:58 PM
The Roadstergal's Avatar
The Roadstergal The Roadstergal is offline
Butting back in
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 17,548
Mein Auto: GS500F
They do give nice sound.

But I have one big beef with CAIs on E30s. Even if you do insulate it to get cold air in... E30s had an AFM, not a MAF. Because of this, they have coolant lines running to the throttle body to heat up the incoming air to get the mixture consistent. So don't you get no improvement with cold air coming in unless you change to a MAF and remove those coolant lines?
__________________
"This is a revolution, dammit! We're going to have to offend SOMEbody!"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-18-2004, 07:17 PM
BahnBaum's Avatar
BahnBaum BahnBaum is offline
Empowered Consumer
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,051
Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadstergal
They do give nice sound.

But I have one big beef with CAIs on E30s. Even if you do insulate it to get cold air in... E30s had an AFM, not a MAF. Because of this, they have coolant lines running to the throttle body to heat up the incoming air to get the mixture consistent. So don't you get no improvement with cold air coming in unless you change to a MAF and remove those coolant lines?
Maybe you get more airflow with the k&n over stock?

I really can't tell much, if any difference with the cai and exhaust. It's still torque-challenged below 3500 rpm. But the combination of the new intake sound and exhaust note is icing on the cake for me. Anyway, my plans were always to do the exhaust, intake and a chip. All that's left to do now is the chip.

The real improvement to the car will come when I get the suspension done later this winter.

Alex
__________________
Interrobanged.

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2004, 07:20 PM
The Roadstergal's Avatar
The Roadstergal The Roadstergal is offline
Butting back in
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 17,548
Mein Auto: GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
The real improvement to the car will come when I get the suspension done later this winter.
Always a great mod.
__________________
"This is a revolution, dammit! We're going to have to offend SOMEbody!"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-18-2004, 07:29 PM
BahnBaum's Avatar
BahnBaum BahnBaum is offline
Empowered Consumer
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,051
Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadstergal
Always a great mod.
Struts, springs, swaybars, strut brace, control arms, offset control arm bushings, tie rod assemblies, wheel bearings, urethane subframe mounts, rear shock mounts, trailing arm bushings, adjustable swaybar links, front subframe reinforcements, and rear sway bushing reinforcements. And new rotors, SS brakelines, SSK and the lsd will get done too.

I don't deserve to be having this much fun with a $2900 car!

Alex
__________________
Interrobanged.

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-18-2004, 07:33 PM
The Roadstergal's Avatar
The Roadstergal The Roadstergal is offline
Butting back in
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 17,548
Mein Auto: GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
I don't deserve to be having this much fun with a $2900 car!
Doesn't sound like a $2900 car anymore!

But still, lots of bang for the buck.
__________________
"This is a revolution, dammit! We're going to have to offend SOMEbody!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-18-2004, 07:38 PM
BahnBaum's Avatar
BahnBaum BahnBaum is offline
Empowered Consumer
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,051
Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadstergal
Doesn't sound like a $2900 car anymore!

But still, lots of bang for the buck.
In the end it'll be a little over 5K, but show me where I can spend 5K for a car that should last for a long, long time (it's got 120K on it now) with this kind of fun factor.

Alex
__________________
Interrobanged.

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-18-2004, 07:47 PM
The Roadstergal's Avatar
The Roadstergal The Roadstergal is offline
Butting back in
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 17,548
Mein Auto: GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
In the end it'll be a little over 5K, but show me where I can spend 5K for a car that should last for a long, long time (it's got 120K on it now) with this kind of fun factor.
I think I've owned the only two cars that spring to mind.
__________________
"This is a revolution, dammit! We're going to have to offend SOMEbody!"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-19-2004, 02:50 AM
Clarke's Avatar
Clarke Clarke is offline
Astigmatic Visionary
Location: Alpharetta Ga.
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,813
Mein Auto: 325Cic-Topaz-Sand
I wish you would clean up that engine compartment a little! Just because it's well over a decade old is no excuse for a filthy mess like that.--Looks great I'd love to find a 318 or 325 like yours.
__________________
Don't Forget to Have Fun! 325Cic Topaz,Sand;Sport,Premium. X5 3.0 Topaz,Sand;Sport,Premium,Xenon,Nav,HK,PDC.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-19-2004, 07:24 AM
Pinecone's Avatar
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
M Mad
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,482
Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
So when are you bringing it over?

Where did you do the exhaust? I thought we were going to do that after we had the subfame off. :
__________________
Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-19-2004, 07:29 AM
BahnBaum's Avatar
BahnBaum BahnBaum is offline
Empowered Consumer
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,051
Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
So when are you bringing it over?

Where did you do the exhaust? I thought we were going to do that after we had the subfame off. :
I'll bring it over whenever you'd like! Always looking for an excuse to drive.

I decided to do the exhaust after I realized how much room it took in my garage; paid $30 to Mighty Muffler to install it, in 20 minutes while I waited.

Alex
__________________
Interrobanged.

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-20-2004, 06:03 AM
Artslinger's Avatar
Artslinger Artslinger is offline
BMW + twisty road = fun
Location: Evanston
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,892
Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
Struts, springs, swaybars, strut brace, control arms, offset control arm bushings, tie rod assemblies, wheel bearings, urethane subframe mounts, rear shock mounts, trailing arm bushings, adjustable swaybar links, front subframe reinforcements, and rear sway bushing reinforcements. And new rotors, SS brakelines, SSK and the lsd will get done too.

I don't deserve to be having this much fun with a $2900 car!

Alex
By spring that will be an awesome BMW.
I love that car; let me know if you want to sell the car in the next couple of years.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-20-2004, 08:05 PM
BahnBaum's Avatar
BahnBaum BahnBaum is offline
Empowered Consumer
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,051
Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
By spring that will be an awesome BMW.
I love that car; let me know if you want to sell the car in the next couple of years.
You'll have to get in line behind 3 of my 4 teenage boys.

Alex
__________________
Interrobanged.

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!


Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-21-2004, 01:51 AM
Pinecone's Avatar
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
M Mad
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,482
Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
And me.
__________________
Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-21-2004, 06:07 AM
Artslinger's Avatar
Artslinger Artslinger is offline
BMW + twisty road = fun
Location: Evanston
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,892
Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
You'll have to get in line behind 3 of my 4 teenage boys.

Alex



Hope your teenage boys are more responsible than I was that age. I seriously beat the sh!t out of a few cars. Country roads and a fast car...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nav/ I-drive observation today Josh (PA) General BMW 23 05-06-2004 08:51 AM
Installed MK IV navigation today! DZeckhausen 5 Series 3 03-29-2004 08:56 PM
Installed my TMEs today. Jetfire Do-It-Yourself H.Q. 21 09-29-2002 05:52 PM
CF Trim Installed Ack 3 Series / 4 Series 21 07-17-2002 09:10 PM
First diesel fill up today. Patrick General BMW 9 12-27-2001 08:59 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms