Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series

M Series
The ///M Series Forums. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
Help. considering buying a 2002 M3, imola red

Hello everyone,

I have an opprotunity to buy an M3. I previously owned a '97 325is back in the late 90's and thought it was a fun car.

Now I have an opprotunity to get a 2002 M3 (euro spec, I live in Costa Rica), imola red 6spd with 24km on it. Anyone have any thoughts and feedback on what I should look out for?

Do you all love your M3?

I'm having doubts because it looks similiar to most 3 series out there, streets are pretty crappy, lots of heavy traffic. And the new 2005 BMW 3 4d series just arrived here. So already the M3 is going to look dated shortly.

I have not driven a manual in years, and am not very good at it. I'm just the type of person that likes to press the gas and make it go. I don't redline my cars very often.

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 12-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnp_now
Hello everyone,

I have an opprotunity to buy an M3. I previously owned a '97 325is back in the late 90's and thought it was a fun car.

Now I have an opprotunity to get a 2002 M3 (euro spec, I live in Costa Rica), imola red 6spd with 24km on it. Anyone have any thoughts and feedback on what I should look out for?

Do you all love your M3?

I'm having doubts because it looks similiar to most 3 series out there, streets are pretty crappy, lots of heavy traffic. And the new 2005 BMW 3 4d series just arrived here. So already the M3 is going to look dated shortly.

I have not driven a manual in years, and am not very good at it. I'm just the type of person that likes to press the gas and make it go. I don't redline my cars very often.

Thanks!
I love mine, and I don't think the look will ever become dated. An e30 M3 still looks beautiful to me.

Get the maintenance records, and make sure it's had the bearing recall done.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 12-23-2004, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
Anyone else with any opinions about their m3. Is a 2002 to old?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Riuster = Rooster

Send a message via Skype™ to Riuster
Mein Auto: 02 M3, 07 X3 and 04 TSX
dont buy a used M3...get a reliable RECALL FREE car....4 recalls already...WTF...
02 CB/Blk Lthr, Cold/Prem. Pkgs, HK, Xenon, Rev. Alert, SMGII, ACS comps, Hamann Comps, OEM Bar, Intros Aero Pol 19s 2-3 In.lips, w/275 Potenzas, Koni S, RMS, AA GEN3, SS Midpipes, DDE lights, LED Retrofit, Lthr Steering, OEM Sheepskins, Kewood Amateur 7000, XM 2, V1, GT2, Garmin 7200, Carputer-SONY T140 with Xenarc display, CSL splitters, ACS diffuser

BMW 2007 AW X3, prem and cold pkg.
Acura 2004 CG TSX
Old 12-24-2004, 05:29 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
The M3 is a LOT of car. If you just push the gas and point the car, you will just arrive at your own accident a LOT quicker. These cars are FAST.

As for it looking almost the same, that is part of the fun of driving them.

They are lower and have a stiffer suspension than the standard 3er. Bad roads are NOT what these cars were designed for.

Also not a great car to truely learn how to drive a stick. Can be a very expensive lesson.

This is NOTHING like the 325 you used to drive.

Overall, you might be better off with a new 325 or 330.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 12-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 M3 Coupe; '06 ML350
Recalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riuster
dont buy a used M3...get a reliable RECALL FREE car....4 recalls already...WTF...
Recall means a safety-related issue. The E46 M3 has had 0 recalls. Okay, it is semantics in a way, but the issues have been dealt with. I would not hesitate to get another.

2008 M3 Coupe - Alpine/Fox Red/Carbon
2015 M4 Coupe - SS/SO - 7/14 delivery
2012 M-B ML350 - Arctic/Black/Satin Ash
Old 12-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Riuster = Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW in Oregon
Recall means a safety-related issue. The E46 M3 has had 0 recalls. Okay, it is semantics in a way, but the issues have been dealt with. I would not hesitate to get another.
when your rodbearing prematurely wears out and your engine completely shuts down, sure its a saftey related issue, but who needs this kind of hassle to get towed, to have the car worked on, losing days

I just had my rodbearing recall done, and everytime I go into that dealer, its a nightmare, now my steering was screwed, I went back and was SO angry...I made a scene..yes..I made a scene..they fixed it...why should I be harrassed..by this?, why anyone?

but its such a pain, why should I have to bring my car in for such recalls, why even have a recall on the engine, I never experienced this with my Honda, NO engine recalls....ok...you pay 60K, taxes, insurance but you cant drive it..its in the BMW dealer service center....take a day off, bring the car in, take another day off, its such a hassle...

OH i forget, you have a monkey working on your car then your car shuts down, this has happened to some other M3 owners...

Its a great car, and I love it when it works, but when it fails...OH NO!!!

02 CB/Blk Lthr, Cold/Prem. Pkgs, HK, Xenon, Rev. Alert, SMGII, ACS comps, Hamann Comps, OEM Bar, Intros Aero Pol 19s 2-3 In.lips, w/275 Potenzas, Koni S, RMS, AA GEN3, SS Midpipes, DDE lights, LED Retrofit, Lthr Steering, OEM Sheepskins, Kewood Amateur 7000, XM 2, V1, GT2, Garmin 7200, Carputer-SONY T140 with Xenarc display, CSL splitters, ACS diffuser

Acura 2004 CG TSX
Old 12-29-2004, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: '01 M3 Coupe; '06 ML350
You're whining...

Quote:
when your rodbearing prematurely wears out and your engine completely shuts down, sure its a saftey related issue, but who needs this kind of hassle to get towed, to have the car worked on, losing days

I just had my rodbearing recall done, and everytime I go into that dealer, its a nightmare, now my steering was screwed, I went back and was SO angry...I made a scene..yes..I made a scene..they fixed it...why should I be harrassed..by this?, why anyone?

but its such a pain, why should I have to bring my car in for such recalls, why even have a recall on the engine, I never experienced this with my Honda, NO engine recalls....ok...you pay 60K, taxes, insurance but you cant drive it..its in the BMW dealer service center....take a day off, bring the car in, take another day off, its such a hassle...

OH i forget, you have a monkey working on your car then your car shuts down, this has happened to some other M3 owners...

Its a great car, and I love it when it works, but when it fails...OH NO!!!
In an ideal world everything would work perfectly all the time. A car is just a machine created by man, and the M3 has a highly evolved but stressed engine. Tolerances and quality must be perfect. Overall, for this type of vehicle, BMW is up there with the best. Porsche has continuing rear main seal issues and PCB issues. Ferrari is not immune to problems. They happen more frequently in this level of car than your typical Honda.

If you have a poor dealer, I can perhaps understand your aggravation. Mine is very good and does not cause me to worry when I take the car in. And you have to take a day off to take your car in in NYC? I have had a few issues, but nothing to sour me on the overall excellence of the package.

2008 M3 Coupe - Alpine/Fox Red/Carbon
2015 M4 Coupe - SS/SO - 7/14 delivery
2012 M-B ML350 - Arctic/Black/Satin Ash

Last edited by GregW in Oregon; 12-29-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Riuster = Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW in Oregon
In an ideal world everything would work perfectly all the time. A car is just a machine created by man, and the M3 has a highly evolved but stressed engine. Tolerances and quality must be perfect. Overall, for this type of vehicle, BMW is up there with the best. Porsche has continuing rear main seal issues and PCB issues. Ferrari is not immune to problems. They happen more frequently in this level of car than your typical Honda.

If you have a poor dealer, I can perhaps understand your aggravation. Mine is very good and does not cause me to worry when I take the car in. And you have to take a day off to take your car in in NYC? I have had a few issues, but nothing to sour me on the overall excellence of the package.
your comment is superb and of course you are right on that evolution theory, I have to calm down..from all the stress that NYC provides me, and yes..i have to take half days off..to pick up my car before the big rush. NYC facility is over capacitated. I found a new dealer, I will send my car there the during the next round.

but back to the conversation at hand, if you buy a new M3 2005, go for it..a used one...I would rather wait for the new M3 or M4 or whatever bangle is creating now and buy a new one.

If its due to financial reasons and one is a big M fan and can only afford a used one,...Ok..i understand,

If you are not....there are many cars out there with more reliability no? and with a new look, like MB with more torque and HP, especially the new roadster, no?

Why a used BMW M3, if not a BIG M fan, if you are ....again..I understand...but I dont know this guy? hahaha....LMAO..it depends on tastes...hahaha...

I love this board, never did I discuss matters with a bunch of intellects!, slow on aftermarket products, but excel in Politics and Philosophy!

Acura 2004 CG TSX
Old 12-30-2004, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Vectra/04 VW PolO
Riuster,

Since you're taking days (or half days) off, you may want to give Hassel BMW or Competition BMW a shot. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Especially Competition BMW.

PS: MB has had a number of quality-related issues across its line-up. So, no, MBs are not as reliable as BMWs and neither are Audis (go do some research on the massive VAG recalls). I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the car so far, but based on what you said, I'm pretty positive it has a lot to do with poor service - I've had 4 BMWs (including an E46 M3) and they were all flawless.

Last edited by ALEX325i; 12-30-2004 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Riuster = Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX325i
Riuster,

Since you're taking days (or half days) off, you may want to give Hassel BMW or Competition BMW a shot. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Especially Competition BMW.

PS: MB has had a number of quality-related issues across its line-up. So, no, MBs are not as reliable as BMWs and neither are Audis (go do some research on the massive VAG recalls). I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the car so far, but based on what you said, I'm pretty positive it has a lot to do with poor service - I've had 4 BMWs (including an E46 M3) and they were all flawless.
Competition, where are they, or Hassel, my car is upstate NY..near white Plains, have you ever heard of Wide World of Cars, I hear they are very good, Masarati, Ferrari and BMWs only, and its a DINAN specialty shop....

Acura 2004 CG TSX
Old 12-31-2004, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Vectra/04 VW PolO
Quote:
Competition, where are they, or Hassel, my car is upstate NY..near white Plains, have you ever heard of Wide World of Cars, I hear they are very good, Masarati, Ferrari and BMWs only, and its a DINAN specialty shop....
Oops... Sorry Riuster, I thought you were in the City...

Hassel and Competition are all on Long Island...
Old 12-31-2004, 02:26 PM
Paw Paw

Send a message via Yahoo to glaws
Mein Auto: 2002 M3 Coupe Topaz/Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
The M3 is a LOT of car. If you just push the gas and point the car, you will just arrive at your own accident a LOT quicker. These cars are FAST.

As for it looking almost the same, that is part of the fun of driving them.

They are lower and have a stiffer suspension than the standard 3er. Bad roads are NOT what these cars were designed for.

Also not a great car to truely learn how to drive a stick. Can be a very expensive lesson.

This is NOTHING like the 325 you used to drive.

Overall, you might be better off with a new 325 or 330.
Mr. Pinecone speaks the truth - read what he has to say and pay attention! I own a 2002 M3 and it has given me excellent service with no major issues at all. I would not hesitate to buy a used one if I could see the maintenance reports.
Otherwise - as Mr. Pinecone says - M3's are not regular 3'ers

A friend will allways try to help you up when you fall. If I can't get you up: Hell, I'll just lie down with you.