Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-27-2004, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4i
X5 Add-on Subwoofer: Sealed or Ported?

Hey all,

I've been watching this forum since I took delivery of my new '05 X5 4.4 in October. Very helpful!!!

I intend to replace my DSP subwoofer with an aftermarket subwoofer (10")/amp and would like some opinions on whether I should go with a ported or sealed enclosure. I will position the sub directly behind the rear seat, so it will be rearward firing.

I would have posted in the audio forum, but I am specifically interested in hearing from X5 owners on this, as the sub will be in an open cargo area and not the trunk.

I listen to classic rock, jazz, pop, primarily.

Ported or Sealed, and why?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2004, 06:59 AM
The Nut

Mein Auto: 93 525i-08 A8L-10 Sienna
Sealed all the way. Much tighter bass :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX
Hey all,

I've been watching this forum since I took delivery of my new '05 X5 4.4 in October. Very helpful!!!

I intend to replace my DSP subwoofer with an aftermarket subwoofer (10")/amp and would like some opinions on whether I should go with a ported or sealed enclosure. I will position the sub directly behind the rear seat, so it will be rearward firing.

I would have posted in the audio forum, but I am specifically interested in hearing from X5 owners on this, as the sub will be in an open cargo area and not the trunk.

I listen to classic rock, jazz, pop, primarily.

Ported or Sealed, and why?

Thanks in advance.
I had a Kicker SoloBaric 10" powered by a RockfordFosgate Power 100 bridged in my three door 900S (not a X5, but an open hatch/folding seat config like we have.)
I would recommend a sealed box for your musical tastes, the music will be like the band intended it to be. The ported boxes can give you great bass, but it is a "boomy" or "muddy" bass.
I prefer accurate bass....just my $.02
Old 12-27-2004, 07:41 AM
Official Bangle Hater

Mein Auto: '01 X5 4.4i, '00 M5
I agree with Robert -- I would definitely go with sealed.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:17 AM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: 14 F10, 14 F15
I agree with Robert and Chris also. But a properly designed vented enclosure can sound quite good. It just needs to designed right for the driver and the car in question.

I have vented sub enclosure in my X.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iT
Sealed option with amp kicked booty

I had square kicker sub and amp put in the back of my X5. You can see pics at the bottom of this page. They sealed the compartment and it cost about 1100. I think it is better than premium.

It was the standard sound package but after this it kicked ass. I had a dial mounted under the dash that I could manually turn up or down the bass.

However, I ordered a 2005 with DSP and I am wondering if I should pull out the bass module and do they same thing as before. I am not even sure if I can...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amp.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	44573   Click image for larger version

Name:	woofer.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	44574   Click image for larger version

Name:	woofercover.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	44575  
Old 02-16-2005, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X5
Is the back made of Fiberglass or MDF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywad
I had square kicker sub and amp put in the back of my X5. You can see pics at the bottom of this page. They sealed the compartment and it cost about 1100. I think it is better than premium.

It was the standard sound package but after this it kicked ass. I had a dial mounted under the dash that I could manually turn up or down the bass.

However, I ordered a 2005 with DSP and I am wondering if I should pull out the bass module and do they same thing as before. I am not even sure if I can...

Is the whole woofer box made via fiber glass or the whole thing is using MDF board? I am planning on making the box for my X too~ but I don't wanna spend more than 1k on the enclosure itself~ Thx~

BTW~ where should I get the sound source to feed my amp for the woofer? the battery part is no big deal~ but the remote and the RCA cables~ please let me know if anyone has the knowledge of this~ Thx
Old 02-18-2005, 09:05 AM

Not sure what it is made of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5turtle
Is the whole woofer box made via fiber glass or the whole thing is using MDF board? I am planning on making the box for my X too~ but I don't wanna spend more than 1k on the enclosure itself~ Thx~

BTW~ where should I get the sound source to feed my amp for the woofer? the battery part is no big deal~ but the remote and the RCA cables~ please let me know if anyone has the knowledge of this~ Thx

Turtle. I don't really know how to answer your questions since I paid a company to do it. All I know is that I left it overnight as they needed to seal the compartment with something so there would be no leakage. I paid about $1K but that included the amp, woofer, cables and install. You could probably call this company and ask them how they would do it since they were the ones that installed it.

http://www.paradyme.com/

I might do it again when I get my 2005 X5 but it will be a different story since I am getting upgraded sound. The vehicle with the pics shown was sold 6 months ago so I can't check.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 x5 3.O sport
hey who did that for you? It's nice. Do you need dsp in order to get that done?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:21 PM

X5 Sub installer in Sacramento

NO DSP required. I had the basic sound and it sounded great.

http://www.paradyme.com/

Installed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejavoo81
hey who did that for you? It's nice. Do you need dsp in order to get that done?