Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima
Which is fast 0-60mph 325i manual or automatic

Hi,

Which is faster having quick pickup speed. say 0-60 mph?
A 325i with manual or 325i with automatic?

I say manual but my friends say automatic.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
manual. by at least a second if you're good.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 12-30-2004, 11:33 AM
ELmO

Send a message via AIM to elmalloc Send a message via MSN to elmalloc Send a message via Yahoo to elmalloc
Mein Auto: 05 330 CIC
Thumbs up

Case closed, now if you're talking about the Benz SLK350 with 7 speed automatic - you may have something else on your hands.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: E46 325 CI
mannual for sure.

BMW E46 M3
Mercedes Benz W209 CLK500
Porsche 996 Carrera (SOLD)
BMW E46 325CI (Totaled)
Old 12-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Stick Drive

Mein Auto: 330i, 911E, UZJ100
Manual
Old 12-30-2004, 06:30 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
i've driven courtesy 325 slushies by far my manual 323 is faster. i can't actually make it leap whereas the slushies feel lethargic.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:47 PM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
If you know how to drive it, the manual will be faster.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: .
neither is fast

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Same body, stock rear end gears (final drive), and same engine the manual should always be faster. But only if you know how to drive a manual. If you don't know how to launch from a standstill or you miss a shift the automatic will have a chance to win. Note that a correct launch requires either tire spin or clutch slipage. Hardly anyone performs a correct drag strip stile launch during the course of normal street driving. If they did they would be replacing either tires or clutches at an alarming rate.

From a rolling start, the automatic can actually make it a pretty close contest. If the manual driver doesn't have the car in the correct gear they will either have to shift to a more appropriate gear, or they will have to wait for the engine to get into its power band. Either will take time, maybe as much as several seconds. The automatic will jump to the correct gear as soon as the go pedal is stomped to the floor. In this case the skill of the manual driver is what can make the most difference.

If both cars are driven by competent drivers, the manual will be about .5 seconds faster to 60 and in the 1/4 mile.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:49 AM
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!

Mein Auto: 320CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag-zhp
Same body, stock rear end gears (final drive), and same engine the manual should always be faster. But only if you know how to drive a manual. If you don't know how to launch from a standstill or you miss a shift the automatic will have a chance to win. Note that a correct launch requires either tire spin or clutch slipage. Hardly anyone performs a correct drag strip stile launch during the course of normal street driving. If they did they would be replacing either tires or clutches at an alarming rate.

From a rolling start, the automatic can actually make it a pretty close contest. If the manual driver doesn't have the car in the correct gear they will either have to shift to a more appropriate gear, or they will have to wait for the engine to get into its power band. Either will take time, maybe as much as several seconds. The automatic will jump to the correct gear as soon as the go pedal is stomped to the floor. In this case the skill of the manual driver is what can make the most difference.

If both cars are driven by competent drivers, the manual will be about .5 seconds faster to 60 and in the 1/4 mile.
Manual when (and if) you know how to drop gears fast. If you dont, the auto.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by atyclb
neither is fast
Yes, but one of the two is quicker.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 01-01-2005, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: unimobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by atyclb
neither is fast
I was thinking the same. Bad bad bad !!
Old 01-01-2005, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashinthepan
I was thinking the same. Bad bad bad !!
When the original 325i came out, was that "fast"? Most seemed to think so. The E46 325i has similar, or better, acceleration. So how come this car is not regarded as "fast"?
Old 01-01-2005, 10:56 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
When the original 325i came out, was that "fast"? Most seemed to think so. The E46 325i has similar, or better, acceleration. So how come this car is not regarded as "fast"?
it had more hp and higher torque perhaps at the expense of emissions also the original 325i was significantly lighter and not the pig that it is today.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:58 PM
It's Highly Addictive!

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
"Fast" isn't objective/absolute, and evolves over time. "Faster" can be objective/absolute.

BMW's published 0-60 time for a manual E46 325i is 7.1 s and 8.1 for the Step. A stock (U.S.) E30 M3 has 0-60 times as high as 7.6 s.

2004 330i 6MT · performance package · silver gray · alcantara/cloth · black cube · xenons · pdc · aux audio
Old 01-01-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenPhen
"Fast" isn't objective/absolute, and evolves over time. "Faster" can be objective/absolute.

BMW's published 0-60 time for a manual E46 325i is 7.1 s and 8.1 for the Step. A stock (U.S.) E30 M3 has 0-60 times as high as 7.6 s.
Absolutely agree, the 325i actually feels pretty snappy for its HP rating. Anyone in a 50k car can be considered slow, if compared to say something like an Enzo. Just be carefull some of the new Maxima's, Acura's even some Accords and a few other Japanese Family sedans will more than likely roast your goose.

Butto answer your real question Manual wins.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Absolutely agree, the 325i actually feels pretty snappy for its HP rating. Anyone in a 50k car can be considered slow, if compared to say something like an Enzo.
A 325i is still "fast", if you've never driven anything that fast. As you say, it's relative. I recently took a long drive to Rockingham race circuit in a 325i auto (with 193 bhp but a longer final drive than you'll find in 325s outside of Europe) and was still the fastest thing on A-roads and motorways - with the sole exception of a Golf R32, which under sustained, full-throttle acceleration (judging by the driver's peak rpm shifts, which were clearly audible) put steady, but slow, distance between us.
Quote:
Just be carefull some of the new Maxima's, Acura's even some Accords and a few other Japanese Family sedans will more than likely roast your goose.
Not round this neck of of the woods. Nissan last sold a big car here in the nineties, the only posh Honda is a Legend (last year's private sales: 7) and the quickest Accord available has a 2.3 litre four-pot. Still, even that would roast my goose, assuming no bends were involved
Old 01-01-2005, 02:21 PM

Quote:
A 325i is still "fast", if you've never driven anything that fast. As you say, it's relative. I recently took a long drive to Rockingham race circuit in a 325i auto (with 193 bhp but a longer final drive than you'll find in 325s outside of Europe) and was still the fastest thing on A-roads and motorways - with the sole exception of a Golf R32, which under sustained, full-throttle acceleration (judging by the driver's peak rpm shifts, which were clearly audible) put steady, but slow, distance between us.

Not round this neck of of the woods. Nissan last sold a big car here in the nineties, the only posh Honda is a Legend (last year's private sales: 7) and the quickest Accord available has a 2.3 litre four-pot. Still, even that would roast my goose, assuming no bends were involved
Hi Andy !

I hear in London it cost major $$$$ to do anything ?
BTW I love all the 3 series cars.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW,325i 5-sp, SP, PP, Xe
Manual or Auto

I believe that the manual is faster only if you can drive well. It is very easy to drive fast in an auto - just mash the accelerator. The 7.1s 0-60 time that BMW reports is on track that is driven by a professional driver. Average drivers can't make that kind of 0-60 time. I have raced with automatic drivers and people even in Honda accords get past me when I am in the first 2 gears. In a recent road and track comparison test BMW 325 was the third fastest when pitted against Saab 9-3, Jag X type, Lexus IS 330, AcuraTL and the Infinity G35. A 184 HP 325 can still beat the 225 hp Lexus just because you can launch the BMW much more aggresively. However, the 5 - 60 mph timing in the 325 is bad compared with the lexus. Now all you Schumachers out there, can you give your 2 cents on how to launch the car faster.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Hi Andy !

I hear in London it cost major $$$$ to do anything ?
BTW I love all the 3 series cars.
Yup, for modifying parts are reasonably cheap but fitment generally costs the earth - labour rates here are sky-high as a result of a housing boom that's been booming since the mid-90s, and everyone's jacking up their rates to service their debts. It means that weekend shade-tree mechanics like me can earn few extra quid fixing people's lightbulbs .

On the big-bang-per-buck front, none of the volume manufacturers make medium/big-sized cars available here any more. They keep pricing them too high, right next to the Germans, and people keep not buying them (despite their undoubted superiority in terms of reliability). None of them seem to pay much attention to economic theory, either, so rather than price them lower, Ford, Toyota, Honda, GM and Nissan have all pulled their biggest cars from the price lists in recent years.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Achtun*, Spitfire!

Mein Auto: '93 E30 318is Touring
Quote:
Yup, for modifying parts are reasonably cheap but fitment generally costs the earth - labour rates here are sky-high as a result of a housing boom that's been booming since the mid-90s, and everyone's jacking up their rates to service their debts. It means that weekend shade-tree mechanics like me can earn few extra quid fixing people's lightbulbs .

On the big-bang-per-buck front, none of the volume manufacturers make medium/big-sized cars available here any more. They keep pricing them too high, right next to the Germans, and people keep not buying them (despite their undoubted superiority in terms of reliability). None of them seem to pay much attention to economic theory, either, so rather than price them lower, Ford, Toyota, Honda, GM and Nissan have all pulled their biggest cars from the price lists in recent years.
Look on the bright side, youse guyses get to drive the Clio 182, new GTI, or even old 205 GTIs ( very ), and can get grey import JDM cars. Plus many excellent circuits offering tons of track days.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:30 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis10
I believe that the manual is faster only if you can drive well. It is very easy to drive fast in an auto - just mash the accelerator. The 7.1s 0-60 time that BMW reports is on track that is driven by a professional driver. Average drivers can't make that kind of 0-60 time. I have raced with automatic drivers and people even in Honda accords get past me when I am in the first 2 gears. In a recent road and track comparison test BMW 325 was the third fastest when pitted against Saab 9-3, Jag X type, Lexus IS 330, AcuraTL and the Infinity G35. A 184 HP 325 can still beat the 225 hp Lexus just because you can launch the BMW much more aggresively. However, the 5 - 60 mph timing in the 325 is bad compared with the lexus. Now all you Schumachers out there, can you give your 2 cents on how to launch the car faster.
There are tons of threads on launching the car quickly but the general rule was explained in one of the above posts - higher revs and either drop clutch and try to control the wheelspin or slip the clutch, all depends on the car. On 325i turn DSC off, first gear , get revs up to at least 3,500 and slip the clutch while getting on throttle, there won't be much wheelspin, it's easy to control with throttle but pretty much push the pedal to the metal. That should take you up to speed but at the drag strip there are more aggressive launch techniques, not car friendly though. More powerful cars, especially the ones with lots of torque require more finesse since dropping the clutch will result in wild burnout. One of the easiest cars to launch that I've driven is STi. You pretty much get the revs up to 4-5K and drop the clutch and mash the throttle, car rockets off the line with very little wheelspin.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norihaga
Look on the bright side, youse guyses get to drive the Clio 182, new GTI, or even old 205 GTIs ( very ), and can get grey import JDM cars. Plus many excellent circuits offering tons of track days.
There is a lot of fun stuff here, yes - a nice by-product of having lot of airfields we don't need any more .

The Clio Cup is building a reputation as a bit of a giant-killer. It costs pin money, goes as fast as a 330i (0-100 in 16 sec) and on many tracks is quite able to keep up with an Elise without biting you in the arse if you overdo it.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:44 PM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
manual. by at least a second if you're good.
werd
Old 01-02-2005, 04:03 PM
It's Highly Addictive!

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
There is a lot of fun stuff here, yes - a nice by-product of having lot of airfields we don't need any more .
I noticed that from watching Top Gear and Fifth Gear. Lucky.

2004 330i 6MT · performance package · silver gray · alcantara/cloth · black cube · xenons · pdc · aux audio