Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00' M Roadster, 07' Mazda
Hypothetical Rear Strut Brace Question

My finace had purchased the IE bushings for me as a Christmas gift and I am anxiously looking forward to installing them. However, I was hoping to get into a discussion regarding the Butt Strut and whether I should continue to use it after installing the Ireland Engineering bushings.

My car is a 00' M Roadster with the H&R/Bilstein setup. Back when I added the Butt Strut, the car's handling felt better, but I can't really say that I understand why. It seems that most discussions about the Butt Strut argue that it further compresses the stock rubber subframe bushings eliminating some of their play, but that doesn't seem to be a possible explanation to me. The stock rubber subframe bushings contain a metal sleeve that should prevent the subframe support brackets from squeezing the bushings any further with or without the use of the Butt Strut. So, what exactly does the Butt Strut do?

I read a Strong Strut customer testimonial where an owner accidentally torqued the Butt Strut down with one side of the car jacked up. The end result was that the door would not close properly until after the brace bolts were loosened and retorqued with the car level on the ground. Does this mean that the Butt Strut increases torsional rigidity? From the above description, it sure sounds like there may be some other frame movement occurring back there that stiffer bushings alone can not address.

Does the stiffer polyurethane connection between the body and subframe allow the subframe as a structure to reinforce the body? In other words... does the subframe effectively become a brace for the body?

Believe me when I say that my car's limited ground clearance is enough of a reason to remove the Butt Strut brace, but I still want to know what effect it really has on the chasis. Would you leave the brace on after installing the IE bushings? Has anubody experimented with the brace on/off after installing the IE bushings?
H&R/Bilstein, IE subframe bushings, H&R Front/Rear Sway Bars, CL Strong Strut, GC End Links, GC RSM, UUC short shift, UUC TME, UUC Clutch Arm Bushing, UUC Clutch/Brake line, Aluminum T-stat housing, S54 radiator, Stewart water pump, lower temp T-stat/fan switch, Aluminum Pedals, Z3 Solutions Trunk Organizer, LeatrherZ armrest, Clear Bumper Lights, BMW 6 disc, Axxis Deluxe Plus, Doug Whalen seat bushings, Soundgate SDSBMW

Last edited by killeen_john; 12-30-2004 at 12:40 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Learning to drive...

Send a message via AIM to fpa1974
Mein Auto: 02 M Cpe,03 325iT,05 330i
Personal opinion here too. I feel that the butt strut contributed to a better feel. I am also getting ready to install the IE bushings and I have no plans on removing the butt strut. Clearance is not a big issue for me here since roads are pretty decent, and I did not drop the car too much with the TCK setup that I have.

Florian
368S/74
Old 12-30-2004, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.8
I have a full butt strutt/body brace installation, and will leave them there when the new bushings go on (hopefully in January.)

The Butt Strutt is really to keep the bolts the subframe is mounted to parallel to each other at all times, so that the body panels the bolts are mounted to resist flexing, and therefore reducing different toe-in angles on the two rear wheels when you encounter a bump during a corner.

The subframe is still free to move around on the now-more-stationary bolts because of the flexible rubber bushings.

I hope that made sense...

-Warr
Old 12-30-2004, 02:01 PM
///M Practical

Mein Auto: 00 M Roadster
I also have the butt strut/body brace installed, but don't have the IE bushings at this point. It appears to me that previously the butt strut alone helped to contribute to a slight improvement in the rigidity of the body. Even if I get the IE bushings installed, I would definitely reinstall the butt strut if for no other reason than the fact that it is needed to attach the runners of the body brace.

Last edited by rjcoston; 12-30-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Inquiring mind

Mein Auto: Z3 2.8 BG & 5 old Volvos
If you decide to delete the butt strut let me know I would be interested in taking it off you hands and to free up more of your garage space . For a fair price of course!
Old 12-30-2004, 09:19 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeen_john
My finace had purchased the IE bushings for me as a Christmas gift and I am anxiously looking forward to installing them. However, I was hoping to get into a discussion regarding the Butt Strut and whether I should continue to use it after installing the Ireland Engineering bushings.

My car is a 00' M Roadster with the H&R/Bilstein setup. Back when I added the Butt Strut, the car's handling felt better, but I can't really say that I understand why. It seems that most discussions about the Butt Strut argue that it further compresses the stock rubber subframe bushings eliminating some of their play, but that doesn't seem to be a possible explanation to me. The stock rubber subframe bushings contain a metal sleeve that should prevent the subframe support brackets from squeezing the bushings any further with or without the use of the Butt Strut. So, what exactly does the Butt Strut do?

I read a Strong Strut customer testimonial where an owner accidentally torqued the Butt Strut down with one side of the car jacked up. The end result was that the door would not close properly until after the brace bolts were loosened and retorqued with the car level on the ground. Does this mean that the Butt Strut increases torsional rigidity? From the above description, it sure sounds like there may be some other frame movement occurring back there that stiffer bushings alone can not address.

Does the stiffer polyurethane connection between the body and subframe allow the subframe as a structure to reinforce the body? In other words... does the subframe effectively become a brace for the body?

Believe me when I say that my car's limited ground clearance is enough of a reason to remove the Butt Strut brace, but I still want to know what effect it really has on the chasis. Would you leave the brace on after installing the IE bushings? Has anubody experimented with the brace on/off after installing the IE bushings?
I know that it's sliced bread to some.
As posted before, I have yet to understand what it does.
Before doing a mod, I think about it. If it doesn't make sense to me, I don't do it.
If it did make sense, I would not do it based on the clearance issue.
The pins to the body via the brackets are still the same interface.
If I remember right, the E30 M3 uses a reinforcement where the brackets mount.
I've heard that it is handy when swapping out the exhaust.
To me, it is just another internet truth.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:21 AM

Mein Auto: Lots of different stuff
I also have a butt strut. I'm not sure why it works, but it tightened up my car on bumps and curves. Definitely less squeaks and pops out of the rear.

I do know that my '03 Porsche 911 has a bar hooked across the bottom of the rear subframe mounts similar to the butt strutt. It came as the stock configuration.

An internet truth, smoke and mirrors, it's hard to tell. Maybe all this stuff is an inexact science.
'14 X1 M sport 3.5 Alpine White
'91 M5 Jet Black
'01 M3 Alpine White
Old 12-31-2004, 08:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
I have a Butt-Strut too, but I've not noticed a big difference in driving with it on or off the car. I suspect it makes little to no difference on newer cars (I'm still under 20,000 miles).

The way the subframe mounts are done, I can see metal fatigue playing a factor over the long haul. I can post pictures if folks want, since I have a large piece of a roadster trunk in my basement that includes the subframe mounts.

On my car, clearance has never been an issue. There were (and still are) things lower than the Butt-Strut front and rear on my car.

I think the thickness of the Butt-Strut is overkill. It could be half as thick and would still be many times thicker than any of the sheet metal to which the subframe mounts are attached.

Ultimately I think it's just helping reduce metal fatigue, much the same way a front brace reduces flexing of the strut towers. But not a lot. When cornering, the load on the subframe mounts is not parallel to the Butt-Strut. Cornering loads rotate the subframe in the horizontal plane. That's why the Ireland subframe bushings make such a big difference (much more than the Butt-Strut in the handling department); they significantly reduce this rotation and the resulting rear steer.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:41 AM
A Clean Windshield

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola M Coupe
When AC Schnitzer makes one I'll believe.

Dinan suspension, M rotors /Axxis pads
Eurosport Cam Kit 1, touch lane change
Zaino polish, Beach Sand
Garys mirror adapter, S54 Oil Cooler
seat tilt coupling nuts, spare tire

"life's to short to drink cheap beer"

Old 12-31-2004, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: ///M Roadster
butt strut

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeen_john

I read a Strong Strut customer testimonial where an owner accidentally torqued the Butt Strut down with one side of the car jacked up. The end result was that the door would not close properly until after the brace bolts were loosened and retorqued with the car level on the ground. Does this mean that the Butt Strut increases torsional rigidity? From the above description, it sure sounds like there may be some other frame movement "occurring back there that stiffer bushings alone can not address.

"the Butt Strut increases torsional rigidity" Yes, exactly what it does.