BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

oil level sensor

4K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  pointandgo 
#1 ·
I just got an estimate to have the oil level sensor replaced on my 2007 328xi . $725.00 !
wholly sht. For those not familiar.....the car does not come with an oil dip stick. ?!?!
The sensor told me to add a liter of oil , so I did . the next day it wanted another liter so I did . Then I added one more the day after. (I kept looking for an oil puddle under the car!)
finally I took the car to my local garage and asked them to look for an oil leak. They drained out more than 9 l of oil. :eek: and replaced it with the recommended 6.5 l BTW no leaks. All this bull sh..t because they don't make them with a dipstick .!
I think i'm the dipstick/dipsh-t for buying one .:mad:

#4 ·
First report of the cost to replace our 'electronic' oil level indicator as far as I know. Yikes, it's expensive.

Like any 'electronic' device...it will eventually FAIL. According to my memory...in many DECADES, my dip stick never failed me. :dunno:

Of course, when you're out of warranty and your 'E' oil level indicator fails (if you even recognize that it has failed)...and your engine siezes up...I'm sure BMW NA will come to your rescue. :tsk::rolleyes:

I'll raise this question: Is there any 'fail safe' oil indication (dash warning) with the 'E' oil level indicator that actually tells you that it has failed? :dunno: Only the Temp gauge?

We do, after all have the 'Drivetrain Malfunction' indicator warning on the 'dash' and subsequent 'limp mode' but what if the oil level indicator 'quits' and we run low on oil?

#6 ·
oil sensor

I am also very disappointed in BMW for this option. My sensor is always measuring full mark! I know it isn't because I have been experimenting with it. I bought this car last fall, after driving it for 4 weeks, I decided I needed to change the oil so I knew what was in it for oil type. On changing the oil I put 5 liters in as I didn't know at the time that it took 6.5 liters.....but then again...I thought better safe than sorry, besides the sensor will tell me,,,right? wrong!! It measured full. After two weeks of driving....I finally get a warning saying it was down a liter. Two weeks later!!! I added the liter and after some research discovered it took 6.5 liters. Since this time I have added approximately another liter. still showing full hasn't budged ever. Really? I doubt it. doing another oil change soon...gonna measure what comes out...this time. should be interesting. I love this car but not being able to accurately keep my oil level full...drives me crazy.

#7 ·
Oil level sensor is $150 RRP

Oil change at next service is about $280

so OIL sensor + oil change = 280+150 = 430

tell them to work out the math

#29 ·
Rather easy for you to say ole boy! In decades of driving I've never had to 'change' a dip stick...they're soooo reliable!

#13 ·
And just to put this in perspective, what percentage of oil level sensors have failed after 8+ yrs of these engines being on the market? I can't remember the last time I read about it on any BMW board.

#15 ·
That's not the point. I want a simple dipstick to confirm the oil level . Not rely on a sensor that keeps telling me to add another liter every time i start the car . At one point i had 10 l in the engine ! If the sensor fails .it should tell me that it is broken .....not to add more oil . And the part and labor should be warranted for the life of the car . Am i asking to much from the bmw engineers !?

#16 ·
I don't think in retrospect they fail all that often. but it's the not knowing if it is working properly or if and when it will fail, and obviously not having a physical dipstick to rely on when this fails or becomes untrustworthy. Stupid situation to put us in - if I had known that my car didn't come with a dipstick and a temperature gauge (didn't pick up on that on the test drive) I don't think I would have bought it.

#19 ·
with you on that one brother! I feel the same way and completely at the mercy of relying on an engine failure before I get a chance to stop it! It certainly would have made me look elsewhere before deciding on sporty sedan without any sporty gauges. They may as well take the RPM gauge out too....apparently that is pointless as well.

#20 ·
Yeah and after the rpm might as well go for speedometer and fuel gauge...when the officer asks if you knew how fast you were going finally we can legitimately say, " I really had no clue I was driving 90..my bmw doesn't come with speedometer."

#23 ·
BMW SIB 12 05 07:

The referenced SIB contains information on several problems related to the oil level sensor and on BMW recommendations for handling them.

View attachment 495177
SIB:

SITUATION
An erroneous oil level warning message, "Oil level below minimum", may be displayed
intermittently or permanently, even though the engine contains the correct volume of oil. This
situation occurs primarily during the winter months and in the colder regions of the country.

And this could lead to the owner over-filling the oil reservoir with all the adverse consequences. :tsk:
Dip sticks don't lie. :angel:

#27 ·
Well we all know bmw and most auto manufacturers could care less what it's customers want as long as they keep buying...this us basically how most businesses seem to work nowadays. So..if any bmw execs are listening I have a revolutionary new idea: make dipsticks and gauges options. Yes..a gauge option for ohh 1250$ and an oil, transmission dipstick package for say 800$. Oh yes..I am a genius.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.