Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 01-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Acceleration Junkie

Send a message via AIM to reevesna
Mein Auto: '99 328i, '03 cbr954RR
PEAKE R5/fcx code/reset tool and understand the codes

Does anyone else have a PEAKE R5/fcx code/reset tool and understand the codes...i used mine recently to reset the oil service counter and figured i'd check the engine codes for the hell of it while it was plugged in eventhough since i've owned it the engine light has never come on...3 codes came up and i'm pretty sure after reading the booklet they're all related but i'm still not sure exactly what they mean; 1)EVAP large leak detected, 2)Secondary air system flow too low Cyl #1-3, and 3)Secondary air system flow too low Cyl #4-6 I am not sure what the EVAP is or when these codes registered into the computers system...i guess my next step would be to reset the computer and see if they register again...the only thing i have noticed about the motor is that i believe the head leaks a small amount of oil on the exhaust side and it burns off from the heat of the pipes but it doesn't necessarly burn oil...any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2005, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 99 328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by reevesna
Does anyone else have a PEAKE R5/fcx code/reset tool and understand the codes...i used mine recently to reset the oil service counter and figured i'd check the engine codes for the hell of it while it was plugged in eventhough since i've owned it the engine light has never come on...3 codes came up and i'm pretty sure after reading the booklet they're all related but i'm still not sure exactly what they mean; 1)EVAP large leak detected, 2)Secondary air system flow too low Cyl #1-3, and 3)Secondary air system flow too low Cyl #4-6 I am not sure what the EVAP is or when these codes registered into the computers system...i guess my next step would be to reset the computer and see if they register again...the only thing i have noticed about the motor is that i believe the head leaks a small amount of oil on the exhaust side and it burns off from the heat of the pipes but it doesn't necessarly burn oil...any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated
The evap large leak would have been tripped by a loose gas cap, tighten your cap if this keeps happening replace it. The secondary air system low flows should be codes 245 & 246 and are associated with the secondary air pump and secondary air valve. The valve fails and alloys exhuast back into the air pump and ruins the pump, or the valve never opens to allow extra air to be pump into the exhaust system across the o2 sensors on start up. This is strange I thought all of these codes should have tripped a check engine light.
I have the same car and I am currently working through the same problem. From what I have found this wont effect performance but you cant pass a smog check.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Sounds Right to me. Also the is a factory recall on certain modled up to 99. Check your BMW dealer.!!!