Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 08-16-2013, 06:20 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
Replacing Air spring/air strut/pneumatic spring F07 550i Gran Turismo

This repair is pretty easy.

1. Jack up and securely place jack stands underneath. Block front wheels.

2. Remove rear tire.

3. Grab the air spring and twist counter clockwise approximately one half turn.

4. Pull air spring out. **Make sure all air is out of air system. My spring bag had a hole in it.**

5. Take a 10m wrench and unscrew fitting from the top of air spring that has the air line that goes into the top of the spring/bag.

6. There will be a small brass ring on the end of the air line.

7. Remove the fitting in the top of the new air spring. Take the new air spring and insert the
air line into the top of the air spring. Push the air line in to a stop. Screw the fitting in. Make sure the two piece fitting is unscrewed to allow for maximum thread area exposed. Then tighten the fitting into the air spring.

8. Put the air spring back in the cradle at top and bottom mount area and turn one half turn clockwise back into position.

9. Replace tire.

10. Put car down on the ground.

11. Restart and the bag will air up within 30-60 seconds.
Ads by Google
Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Nice! Thanks for the DIY.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 5 Gt
Sorry to dig this one up and blow the dust off it

Does anyone know how to fully deflate the airbags to allow removal,
I just lowered gt, found or should I say heard a hissing, and the bag is perished on one of the seems, just my luck!
Ordered new bag and await delivery,!

Great post by the way! Should help no end
Old 04-18-2014, 06:48 AM
Rogue2258

I am not sure if there is a valve to deflate the system, but if the air bag that is hissing stops hissing then all of the air is out of the system. If one bag is flat the system is depressurized from my experience on our 2010 550 GT. Good luck and have a great weekend.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-05-2014, 02:12 AM

Mein Auto: F11 520 sport
Thanks for the post. I have an F11 2011 and I'm stuck in Annecy france. Pulled up at the campsite and heard a load hissing coming from the passenger rear wheel. Thought it was the tyre until the wheel arch lowered. The compressor kicked in to try and pump it up but eventually turned off. The AA picked the car up and took it to a garage and they referred it to a bmw Garage. They said there is a weeks wait for it to be looked at let alone fix it. We are just a few days on to a months camping tour of france and Italy with a roof box and bikes. Have been given a vw tiguan but the boot is tiny and can only have it for 5 days!!! After reading this post and others I have ordered the part from Germany yesterday and it should arrive tomorrow. Thanks for the advice above. I'm going to buy some tools, additional jack and chock and drive to bmw and attempt to replace it in the car park. I ordered two airsprings just incase the other goes. I'm not a mechanic but have replaced brakes and done other minor fixes over the years so hoping it's as easy as discribed. I bought the parts from Aerosus in Koln Germany via EBay at £179+ vat. I will let you know how I go on. Hope this post helps anyone else stuck in the same situation.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:04 AM
Rogue2258

You will need to remove the airline from the damaged air bag. There is a quick disconnect fitting that you should be able to press and release the airline. You will see a small brass colored fitting with a small brass colored ring where the airline is inserted. That should press and release, but you may also cut the air line as close to the fitting as you can and you will still have enough airline to reinsert easily completing the repair. Good luck. When you are heavily loaded the harder run flat tires force the pressure of the extra load to the weakest link in the suspension which is your suspension air bag. We now run the Bridgestone RE290 RFT. We just returned from vacation with a heavy load with no issues. The new RFT technology allows some flex in the tire instead of blowing out you bag. You will be fine doing this repair.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 AM

Thanks Rogue. I think I'm guilty of putting too much air in the tyres. I had felt the tyres on the way to france and the tyres were running a little warm so I topped up and put in about 2.8 psi total and they were running much cooler. It's not a lot if pressure but in hindsight knowing run flats are stiff I should have been more cautious. Thought I would save money on tyre wear :-0

I will let you know how I get on. Went and scoured the town for a DIY shop and stocked up on ratchet set, spanner set and screwdriver set etc. Fingers crossed the part arrives in the morning.

The speed bumps in Annecy are huge, no exaggeration. I'm sure they are to blame. Glad I bought a spare airspring too for peace of mind.

Did 4 weeks tour of france last year in my old E61 530 SE and had no issues with almost 3k miles traveled. Didn't look as good as the new car but starting to miss her :-)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:27 AM

So the part arrived this morning. Www.aerosus.de were amazing. I had mentioned on my notes via eBay that I was in urgent need and they paid extra for me. I paid them back this morning. Top notch service great guys.

The AA however were horrendous. I called them this morning to confirm the car was at BMW Chambery and if they could organise a jack for me. I traveled 60 miles to find my car was not there. I was then told to drive another 60km to another garage. The car was there but he would not give me a jack. Not even one from some 20 cars sat in their grounds. I had to borrow one from a house up the street. Really nice french lady. So jacked the car up and used the wheel for just to be safe. The job was easy with Rogue's instructions at hand. It's a bit tight getting the part in and out of the space and yes twisting the top in is tricky too.

Can't thank you enough. Top tip about leaving the old sleeve in place so no need to cut the airline etc. I did double check and there wasn't any damage. Lowered the car and viola it slowly raised. All faults have disappeared off the car menu.

It's worth noting that the even the mechanic at BMW in Chambery that I chatted too said it was "impossible" without a computer. Had me worried for a moment but I trusted what I had been told in this thread. Hope this helps others in this situation.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Rogue2258

Awesome. We all know what it is like when trying to perform a repair...there is always a challenge, a missing tool, wrong part etc. Wonderful news we are all happy for you! Thanks for you added input. We all notice different ways to perform a repair, and things to watch for. Enjoy. Peace.