Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to shonessmonster
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Question 1997 528i

I know this is a very rookie qustion but I just recently failed smog and needed to change my O2 sensor. I was notified that normal automobile has 2-4 O2 sensors and now I need to know how many my car has, so I can go online and get however much needed.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
There's four. Two before and two after the catalytic converters. The codes that indicated failed O2 sensors will also indicate which one(s) failed. They have a "book" life of 100k miles; I'd replace them in pairs. The two before cat are probably your best bet if you're guessing. After cat take longer to fail.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 01-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
I'd replace them in pairs
I've never done oxygen sensors so, to the OP, keep us informed how you handle this (pics are always nice).

I found my oxygen sensors simply by posting a picture of where I "thought" they were and people here showed me in my picture where they were.

Dig around in the VERY best of E39 Links as it's a very common subject.

Do a browser find (control f) for "o2" or "oxygen" and you'll see tons of links, e.g.,
- Oxygen sensor DIY (540 M62) (525 M54) & O2 sensor tools you can make at home (1) & all about 02 sensors (1) & eliminating the rear o2 sensors (1)

PS: In most states, Autozone will lend you the tools for free.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to shonessmonster
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Talking

Thanks for your advise.