Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-10-2005, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si, 2006 330xi
Bluetooth Pairing X3

Can I get the definitive answer on pairing my mobile phone with the X3 telephone via bluetooth. I've read all the previous threads on this and other message boards and their attachments. Nothing works! Is there a BMW rep. monitoring this site?

Last edited by exthree; 02-06-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Go to Roadfly.org, look up all posts related to bluetooth, and there in one of the posts is a list of all phones that will work with BMW bluetooth. If you have an 05 with BMW assist, you have BMW's best version of bluetooth. Also, reps from BMW NA customer relations monitor that board.

Now here: 2007 328xit 6mt, premium, sport, nav, cold, comfort, xenon, sat, logic 7, lemon w/dark wood, w/o roofrails

future mods: euro clear corners, blackline tails, 3m clearsheild, M5 front, exhaust, ipod interface, and wheels
Old 01-10-2005, 02:49 PM

Ericsson T39m Supported

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPoWeRMAN
Go to Roadfly.org, look up all posts related to bluetooth, and there in one of the posts is a list of all phones that will work with BMW bluetooth. If you have an 05 with BMW assist, you have BMW's best version of bluetooth. Also, reps from BMW NA customer relations monitor that board.
I saw the attachment on roadfly.org and my phone (Ericsson t39m) is supported. No luck pairing. Thanks for the tip, though.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
you could have a bad module, ask for module number 84 21 6 945 387, that one should work better, you might have to contact customer relations to get them to send you that part, but if you make a stink about it, you will get it, they have to make it work for you

Now here: 2007 328xit 6mt, premium, sport, nav, cold, comfort, xenon, sat, logic 7, lemon w/dark wood, w/o roofrails

future mods: euro clear corners, blackline tails, 3m clearsheild, M5 front, exhaust, ipod interface, and wheels
Old 01-10-2005, 03:18 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hecklerz
Mein Auto: '07 E90 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthree
Can I get the definitive answer on pairing my mobile phone with the X3 telephone via bluetooth. I've read all the previous threads on this and other message boards and their attachments. Nothing works! Is there a BMW rep. monitoring this site?
Hi,

I don't know what you've tried so far, but I had a similar issue with my '05 325i. Make sure you have a card in your owners packet (booklet of manuals and other car info) that has pairing instructions and a pass key. This is what finally convinced the tech at my dealership that I actually had the module installed already. What was required for me to get the BT working was a new software download ($70). Right after, my phone immediately "saw" the car and began the pairing routine. Hope this may help. Good luck!

p.s. see my other post on my problems getting Bluetooth to work properly for more info. There were some very helpful replies to my question.

**Looking for an E39 540, 530 or X5

----------

Retired:

*2006 E90 325i- Ti-Silver Metallic, Black leather, Heated seats 6Sp Step. , ZPP, ZSP, NAV, Adapt.-Xenon, BT to iPhone

*2004 E46 325i- Silver Grey Metallic, Black Leather- heated, 6sp Step. , ZSP, ZPP, Xenon, Nav- V.26, BT to Blackberry
Old 01-10-2005, 04:14 PM

Download

Was it a download for the phone or the X3 Assist module?
Old 01-10-2005, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo XC90
Official list from BMW Customer Relations

I emailed BMW Customer Relations and asked them for a list of phones that have full functionality with the BMW Bluetooth feature on my 2005 X3. Here is their reply:

The phones tested and currently approved for full functionality with our BMW Bluetooth feature are:

-Motorola V600 (AT&T, Cingular, T Mobile)
-Motorola V710 (Verizon) expected to be compatible when Verizon implements new software
-Siemens S56 (AT&T, Cingular)
-Sony Ericsson T616 (AT&T)
-Sony Ericsson T637 (AT&T, Cingular)
-Sony Ericsson T68i (AT&T, Cingular, T Mobile)
-Sony Ericsson T608 (Sprint)
-Sony Ericsson T610 (T Mobile)

Keep in mind we are constantly working to test and approve new phones to stay current with the wireless market. Please stay in touch with us through our website, http://www.bmwusa.com and our network of authorized BMW centers for future updates.

We appreciate that you have chosen BMW for your new vehicle purchase. If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: Bluewater 2005 X3 3.01
Pairing works

I just purchased a 2005 X3 3.01 I struggled with the pairing and was told by the dealer I could have either the BMW assist or the blue tooth to work with my phone. The sales rep told me differently but I could not make it work. I called BMW and they told me I could use both but they could not instruct me how to do it. Frustrated a friend found this forum and I saw one set of instructions that was vague as to referring to a X3 and Blue tooth but I tried it and it worked.

Bottom line you can activate the Blue tooth on a 2005 X3 with BMW assist. To do the pairing you must do it within the first two minutes of turning the car on. The engine can be running. It works and its cool. Thank you to who ever wrote the notes.

One of the other things I was told I can not do is have the Sirius radio and Ipd on the same vehicle. I am going to post this question on another thread but from what I have read it seems like I may be able to get this by connecting the IPOD to the changer interface. Which would be better anyway because it is closer than the glove box, if anyone has more information please let me know.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:15 PM

Did you use one of the "approved" bluetooth enabled phones listed above in the thread? I also saw the instructions to pair my phone within a few minutes of turning on the key, but that did not work. If you have any further insights, please share them with us.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Did you use one of the "approved" bluetooth enabled phones listed above in the thread? I also saw the instructions to pair my phone within a few minutes of turning on the key, but that did not work. If you have any further insights, please share them with us.

I never looked at the list but I have a Motorolla V551 from Cingular. Its pretty cool the way it works. I did have one problem so far where the radio would not come back, even thought the phone was disconnected. I had to power down the phone to make it work.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:52 PM

Bluetooth pairing with Sony Ericsson T637

I just tried pairing my Sony Ericsson T637 with my 2005 X3 with BMW Assist and nav system. I was instruced by my phone to enter the Bluetooth passkey, which I did. Receiving calls and talking handsfree seems to work just fine. But on the nav screen, I keep seeing this message that says "Telephone Directory is loading", and it's still present after 5-10 mins. My telephone directory only has 8 names, so it shouldn't take that long. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 02-13-2005, 06:51 PM
mmm... carbs!

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfeldstein
I just tried pairing my Sony Ericsson T637 with my 2005 X3 with BMW Assist and nav system. I was instruced by my phone to enter the Bluetooth passkey, which I did. Receiving calls and talking handsfree seems to work just fine. But on the nav screen, I keep seeing this message that says "Telephone Directory is loading", and it's still present after 5-10 mins. My telephone directory only has 8 names, so it shouldn't take that long. Has anyone experienced this?
It takes forever. Just let it go.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspeedy
It takes forever. Just let it go.

I had the same experience. It took for ever the first couple of times I tried and I kept giving up. Then all of a sudden it was just there. Go figure.

Has anyone firgured an easy way to move the call back to the phone when you are getting out of the car ? The only way I was able to make it work was to plug the headset in to the phone. When you do that is switches back to the headset, unplug the headset and it moves back to the phone.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Marine Turned Yuppie

Send a message via AIM to USMCAg00
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
Ok, I went through the steps and keyed in the Passkey. My Blackberry (7100t) recognizes the BMW (I see the car in the bluetooth list) so it appears to have paired. But I can't figure out how to use it. Whenever I hit the R/T button, I get a message on the radio to "Activate Phone". But, when I instruct the phone to connect to the BMW, nothing happens. When I hit the button with the face icon with waves, nothing happens?

What am I doing wrong?

“Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue.” - Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN

Old 02-14-2005, 09:40 AM

Try calling your cell phone from another phone

I got to the same point and thought that it wasn't working. I had my wife call my cell phone from inside the house while I stayed in the car. As soon as she called, I heard it ringing from the car's speakerphone. When I pressed the steering wheel button, I was able to talk and hear her. I also tried the reverse. I called her from the car. As soon as the phone started calling, I heard it ringing from the car's speakerphones.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Marine Turned Yuppie

Quote:
I got to the same point and thought that it wasn't working. I had my wife call my cell phone from inside the house while I stayed in the car. As soon as she called, I heard it ringing from the car's speakerphone. When I pressed the steering wheel button, I was able to talk and hear her. I also tried the reverse. I called her from the car. As soon as the phone started calling, I heard it ringing from the car's speakerphones.
Thanks! Which button am I supposed to use?

“Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue.” - Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN

Old 02-14-2005, 01:41 PM

Question

Quote:
I emailed BMW Customer Relations and asked them for a list of phones that have full functionality with the BMW Bluetooth feature on my 2005 X3. Here is their reply:

The phones tested and currently approved for full functionality with our BMW Bluetooth feature are:

-Motorola V710 (Verizon) expected to be compatible when Verizon implements new software

Keep in mind we are constantly working to test and approve new phones to stay current with the wireless market. Please stay in touch with us through our website, http://www.bmwusa.com and our network of authorized BMW centers for future updates.

We appreciate that you have chosen BMW for your new vehicle purchase. If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Should the Ericsson T39m work with the X3 Bluetooth?
Old 02-17-2005, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 05-X3-3.0 / Alpine White
Lightbulb Motorola - Razor

Quote:

The Motorola Razor - Was added to the list of phones that are compatable with the BMW
Bluetooth. They are calling it the Razor V3
Old 02-17-2005, 05:24 PM

As of this post do not purchase the treo 650 . It is not compatable. I am getting ready to return mine. When I make or recieve a call the phone reboots.

I also have the Motorolla V551 and it works perfetcly.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Marine Turned Yuppie

BlackBerry 7100t

Here's a question/quandry:

Checked the list on roadfly and saw that my Blackberry was compatible.

Found info on another forum site that I needed to download the updated software versions for my desktop and handheld from T-Mobile's site.

BMW sends me a response saying that the Blackberry is NOT compatible.

I find that I can make or receive a call within the first minute or so after I turn the vehicle on, but not after that.

What gives?

Old 02-25-2005, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
When trying to pair the V710 phone to the car the phone recognizes the car and asks for the pin #. When I put it into the phone I get "invalid pin" on the phone. Before I got the software update on the phone it paired although it didn't work with the buttons on the steering wheel.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0i
Is NAV needed?

I have a 05 X3 3.0 without NAV or BMW assist. I do have the steering wheel buttons however. What is involved to get Bluetooth installed? Would I need the Bluetooth module and the microphone module?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:34 PM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
Bluetooth microsite

I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. We're proud to announce the launch of our Bluetooth microsite accessible through the BMW USA Website! For detailed information about Bluetooth, compatible phones, vehicle information and answers to frequently asked questions please visit our Bluetooth microsite at http://www.bmwusa.com/bluetooth. If you prefer, you can call us at 800-831-1117, and please mention Reference #200506000544 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Bluetooth microsite
Old 03-01-2005, 04:39 PM

Thank you for this new micro website and official information. regarding bluetooth. I wish I had this when I took delivery of my X3 in December. Notwithstanding, it has cleared up a lot of questions and antedotes about bluetooth and BMW.

Now can we get an "official" answer regarding the, "...rear windows drop 5" with driver express up..." post?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:16 PM
BMW Loyalist

Send a message via MSN to M-PIRE
Mein Auto: 95 e36 M3 White
Sprint Bluetooth Phones??

Unfortunately I am stuck on Sprint for the next year. If I want a bluetooth phone I have 2 choices. The current LG 325 something and the retired (extinct) T608 from Sony/Ericcson. I stopped by the Sprint store today and the sales rep was excited to see it work so we took the store demo unit out to my new X3 to test it out. The phone found the car, authenticated with the PIN, and connected. It worked slick as snot. If I turned the car off, the phone disconnected, turn it on and it connects again... Sweet!!!!

Problem. The dang R/T button keeps telling me to activate phone. The demo phone only has three, count them....3!...phone book entries. We waited in the car for about 5 minutes with the engine running and never got the message to go away.

Does anyone know if the LG phone will eventually integrate? Should I wait longer? I'm not too excited about plopping down $230 to upgrade my phone and have it not work with the car.

Does anyone have personal experience with the T608? I see a few on ebay and would be willing to go that route if it will work for sure.

Thanks folks.