BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How much Transmission Fluid?

937 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  zelim 
#1 ·
I am planning to replace the transmission fluid on my 335d (now at 80K) soon. The dealer wanted $1,050, which is truly insane. I can get the parts (ZF fluid, pan/filter/plug, and replacement bolts) for about $350, so I can't justify not doing it myself.

My question is how much of the $23/liter ZF fluid do I need? BavAuto indicates that I need 6 liters, and my Bentley manual says 9.5 including torque converter, which I assume I am not draining. Bentley also suggests measuring how much drains out and filling that much back in. I'm not sure Ill be able to catch every drop.

I was thinking of buying 7 liters. Think that's good?

#2 ·
Was going to do this DIY also but decided to wait a bit longer....just done 53000m in my 335i.

According to manuals and several forum experts (don't take that the wrong way) basically you drain the fluid, remove the trans cover, change the filter, torque the cover back and fill up to the overflow level. Then run it thru gears, warm it up, check temp and then fill to the overflow level again.

Yes, it's a how long is a piece of string question, IMHO.

#3 ·
Thanks, that is my plan. I don't want to be short (or long) in what I have on-hand, so I was hoping someone else has done it and can tell me how much they used.

#4 ·
I completed the fluid change yesterday. It took 5 1/2 liters.

#6 ·
No noticeable difference, but I experienced no issues prior to the change. The 80K miles I have are like 95% highway so the old fluid was probably in pretty good shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.