Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Drives cars for a living!

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
People who join a forum that don't own the car?

I've cruised several car specific car forums and found that this is pretty common. Does it bother anyone else that people join a forum and have nothing to add to it, because they don't own the car or have any ties to that car. I work for an OEM, so I have joined some of the forum related to those cars, but I am developing that car. I see similar signatures all the time that say "I WILL own this car.....someday." It's a free country, but trolling boards that you have no connection to just bothers me. I guess 12 year olds need something to pass the time! Why not just join a general car forum? Better yet, find a hobby and join that forum. Going on and on about BMW's on this forum when you don't even own one........... what gives?
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Plays with a stick

Mein Auto: BMW
I would like to buy a used Porsche someday and I visit a number of Porsche boards and learn a little along the way. Likewise, I'm probably selling my bimmer in a few months when I have a company car coming in but I plan to continue visiting Bimmerfest and other BMW boards where I've made acquaintenaces.
I see these websites as a place for people with common interests to get together, weather they actually own the car or not.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer
I've cruised several car specific car forums and found that this is pretty common. Does it bother anyone else that people join a forum and have nothing to add to it, because they don't own the car or have any ties to that car. I work for an OEM, so I have joined some of the forum related to those cars, but I am developing that car. I see similar signatures all the time that say "I WILL own this car.....someday." It's a free country, but trolling boards that you have no connection to just bothers me. I guess 12 year olds need something to pass the time! Why not just join a general car forum? Better yet, find a hobby and join that forum. Going on and on about BMW's on this forum when you don't even own one........... what gives?
Never bothers me.

EDIT - Actually, what bothers me more is some of the people around here that actually own them!

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 01-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Broom
Doesn't bother me at all
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-14-2005, 09:04 AM
In Mod Heaven

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci
I don't know, I joined several car forums (non-BMW) before purchasing my 330Ci back in '02. I did it to read up on any issues/problems that those cars had. The boards helped steer me away from the Acura CL Type-S. Back then, there were tons of complaints about transmissions blowing after only a few months. People would get the transmission fixed, only to have it fail again. If it wasn't for that board, I would never have known of the issue and probably bought that car.

So to me, people who don't own a BMW that are here to either gain research for a new/used car purchase or because they just love BMW's, doesn't bother me.

There is a nice "Ignore" feature if certain people/trolls do bother you.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerE39
I would like to buy a used Porsche someday and I visit a number of Porsche boards and learn a little along the way. Likewise, I'm probably selling my bimmer in a few months when I have a company car coming in but I plan to continue visiting Bimmerfest and other BMW boards where I've made acquaintenaces.
I see these websites as a place for people with common interests to get together, weather they actually own the car or not.

Theese are all valid reasons for joining, or staying involved (research and previous owner)! My problem is more with some people that give advice about a car they don't really know, or just troll the "off topic" or "other cars" sections. I didn't join this forum until I bought my car, and if I didn't I would have never joined. Like I said, it's a free country, but it just seems odd to me.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:13 AM
~~~~~~~~~~

Send a message via AIM to LeucX3
Mein Auto: 06 VW Jetta GLI
Perhaps a board that charges fees might curtail any non-BMW owners from joining.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeucX3
Perhaps a board that charges fees might curtail any non-BMW owners from joining.
Or a VIN # varifacation system. if you join for research, you get limited functions.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Empowered Consumer

I've always wondered how many posters here are "pretending" to own, but it's all fantasy.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 01-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 550ix, GL450, 991S, R8
I don't own a BMW and I have a very high post count here ...

I've got no plans on leaving either ...
Old 01-14-2005, 09:38 AM
Vietato

Mein Auto: 2009 Toyota Matrix
Quote:
Or a VIN # varifacation system. if you join for research, you get limited functions.
Nope, too easy to get a BMW VIN # from ebay.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

- Cherokee Expression
Old 01-14-2005, 09:41 AM
Brave corporate logo

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
I've always wondered how many posters here are "pretending" to own, but it's all fantasy.

Alex
I only do that on the Kia message boards.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF-RX8
I don't own a BMW and I have a very high post count here ...

I've got no plans on leaving either ...

If you need a VIN# I can let you borrow mine ... if they are going to start charging can I borrow some of your money
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
http://www.fordpinto.com/

PLEASE dont tell the pinto guys I dont have one. Ive always admired the "explosive" nature of the pinto, and really just like hearing the experiences with those stallions.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:00 AM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Funny you posted this in Off Topic. I never seen an automobile related post here.

BTW, I value the insight non bimmer owners bring to this bimmerfest - it's a different perspective, and for the most part, very enlightening

-Mark
Old 01-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 550ix, GL450, 991S, R8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina
If you need a VIN# I can let you borrow mine ... if they are going to start charging can I borrow some of your money
thanks, can I borrow your key also ... heck let me just borrow the car too
Old 01-14-2005, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF-RX8
thanks, can I borrow your key also ... heck let me just borrow the car too
Sure ... you can borrow the whole car ... you can even use the seat warmer thingy ... I LOVE the seat warmer
Old 01-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2001 330i Sport
Quote:
Theese are all valid reasons for joining, or staying involved (research and previous owner)! My problem is more with some people that give advice about a car they don't really know, or just troll the "off topic" or "other cars" sections. I didn't join this forum until I bought my car, and if I didn't I would have never joined. Like I said, it's a free country, but it just seems odd to me.
Your arguments (owning a car as requirement) don't apply in the "off topic" and "other cars" fora.
I don't recall seeing any serious advice from those people. They mostly joke around. If they ever do try a serious advice without knowing the facts, I'm sure they will be quickly called on their BS by this bunch.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Lovin' Life

Mein Auto: 2000 540i6
Quote:

If you don't like the boards then don't subscribe/use them. The mods here do an excellent job keeping specific forums on their topic. As such this forum is a fun chat forum for all kinds of "stuff". I've found the 5 - series forum incredibly helpful for resolving problems with my car and helping point others in the right direction. In general if someone not knowledgable about the vehicle points the poster in the wrong direction there are several others to help redirect in the right direction.

In answer to your question:

No it does not bother me. If the board limited members by some goofy criterion I would find it offensive.

P.S. One of the most entertaining posters, Jever, is a regular poster here and I am certain he does NOT own a BMW. The board would be less if he didn't post.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:40 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Jever is our strayed pet poster. That mutt seems to have found a home.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Stick Drive

Mein Auto: 330i, 911E, UZJ100
Quote:

Alex

Damn, and all this time I could have said I owned a M3

Old 01-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Empowered Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmwvr
Damn, and all this time I could have said I owned a M3

What's an M3?

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 01-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Over-the-Hill

Mein Auto: '07 530xiT
I joined the 'fest shortly after I got my 325i. While I never had anything of value to add to the auto talk, I did absorb a lot of info from the posts and learned some things about the mechanics of the automobile I was driving.

However, I no longer have my BMW due to my relocation to Alaska this summer, but fully intend to purchase another once we leave this island, therefore I'm still scanning the auto boards trying to gather info on the models I'm interested in.

While I'm sure there are at least a few people who wish I would go away, it will take more than that to get rid of me.

Last edited by Melissa; 01-14-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Resident lurker

Mein Auto: Ein Miata
I joined back when i was researching to get a BMW. That didn't pan out, and i got what i got instead. But i still hang out/lurk here every now and then, and to me it doesn't matter what other people drive.

(Actually, i lied... i joined because of the peeps at OT. And that freaking "Alee sux" thread )
Old 01-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Stick Drive

Mein Auto: 330i, 911E, UZJ100
Quote:
What's an M3?

Alex
M5