Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

View Poll Results: How much snow do you clear from you SUV/SAV Minivan
All of it 3 23.08%
As much as possible 4 30.77%
None--screw you all, who needs to see 1 7.69%
Snow...What's that? 0 0%
I don't own a gas guzzeling planet killer 5 38.46%
Don't care...show me the results 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
Snow removal from SUV/SAV/Minivans

For all of you living in the snowy climates, I wanted to see your opinions...

Thursday we revieved around 3" of snow in our area during the day. Going home I was amazed by how many people in taller vehicles didn't even make an attempt at getting all the snow off the top of their car...many didn't even bother with any snow removal. Just hit the wipers and go.

Not only can I not figure how they see out the back (or front if they didn't clear their hood), but driving behind them is like cruising along in your own personal blizzard I saw one guy in a mid sized SUV who didn't bother clearing ANYTHING in the opposing lanes of traffic...he looked like a comet barreling down the road.

Our other car is a large SUV and I do my best to clear as much snow a possible. Since it is so tall that is often hard, but I at least clear the hood windows and as much from the top as I can while standing on the running boards (when I am not at home)
Ads by Google
Old 01-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Happy Trails!

Mein Auto: 330xi
I try to get all of it off, which on the Avalanche was quite a chore. On the Jeep it goes pretty quickly. Even the Touring can throw off huge amount of snow if not cleared off.

I've seen people around here driving cars with "tank slits" - one little pass of the scraper to clear the window. I also saw one of those people almost go under a flatbed truck - luckily the truck driver saw the idiot and had room to manuever.

One other story - about 10 years ago I was taking an airport shuttle van home from Boston. The minivan in front of us on I-93 had not been cleaned and loosed a whole roof full of snow at the van - shattering the front window. I was sitting behind the driver and got a lap full of glass. Luckily neither I or the driver were hurt. The minivan just sped away, oblivious to what just happened.

So yeah, I'm sensitive to the problem.

04 BMW 330xi 6spd w/Premium,Sport,Winter & Xenon (Sold, sniff)
02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 01-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Spelling Impaired

I'd forgotten the armored vehicle slits people scrape out. Another personal favorite is looking out throught the little melted areas the defroster has melted.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Happy Trails!

Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate
I'd forgotten the armored vehicle slits people scrape out. Another personal favorite is looking out throught the little melted areas the defroster has melted.
Yep, the best one it the people around here who have these little slits scraped out. The go down the main street in the development, which is downhill to a "T" intersection. When they go to stop the snow slides down obscuring their view. That was the scenario of the one that almost drove under the flatbed truck. I don't get it.

04 BMW 330xi 6spd w/Premium,Sport,Winter & Xenon (Sold, sniff)
02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 01-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Scotes
Mein Auto: '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojira-san
... loosed a whole roof full of snow at the van - shattering the front window....
Unbelievable! I was tying to explain this to my GF the other day and she just didn't see the reason. I really don't get how many people just don't think.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotes
Unbelievable! I was tying to explain this to my GF the other day and she just didn't see the reason. I really don't get how many people just don't think.
I don't think many realize that after that snow sits there for a bit it melts and gets a nice layer of ice between the car and the snow. When that snow/ice breaks away you get a heavy object moving at a high rate of speed. Of course many still would be to lazy even if they knew...
Old 01-15-2005, 02:35 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
When I drove I used to pile all the snow on top of my roof and gun it once someone was behind me and then stop. That got me a few grand of spending money every December. Now that I don't drive, I spare my ride the time of clearing off the windshield. I just sit on the hood and bang on the windshield indicating witch way to turn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder