Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-18-2014, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: '06 BMW 330i
Tire Shopping-RFT's or Non-RFT's-Your Opinion?

Hey guys Im shopping around for some new tires and thought Id get some opinions on this. Should I stick with RFT or not. They are useful but come with a hell of a price tag which in the end i don't mind paying if its the better way to go. So let me know what you think.

And also what are some good tires if you know of any for both RFT and non.
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335is
I did a lot of research too and seems that the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a very good tire. Another good one is Continental DW. What I'm not sure is how much wider can you go without rubbing the fender...the height of the tire is a little bigger than the run flat tire as well. On top of that my car is lower about 10mm than stock, so that makes it more difficult in figuring this out. Good luck with your search!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Tons of threads on this...
Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbarr View Post
Hey guys Im shopping around for some new tires and thought Id get some opinions on this. Should I stick with RFT or not. They are useful but come with a hell of a price tag which in the end i don't mind paying if its the better way to go. So let me know what you think.

Tons of info here already, a lot of people go with the Conti DWS. I personally went with the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 since they had better reviews and were $75 cheaper. Ride quality is much improved.
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 03-20-2014, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbarr View Post

My opinion...non all the way!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
I was all set to go with non-RFLT tires. Chunks of rubber are coming apart from each tread on the outside edges of my front stock conti-pro SSR's, and they are ridiculously loud. BTW, is anyone else seeing this?

My first thought was to find a pair of used Conti-Pro SSRs and use them with the rears that are fine, but the thought of this type of failure just bugged me, so I went shopping. My list included Michilen PSS's (supposed to be the best, but they are summers and I really wanted All seasons), Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 (reviews from fellow festers and Tire rack said they were great) and a couple others.

The thing is, in the back of my mind, I will always think that putting on go-flats without a spare is tempting fate and I'll end up getting flat after flat. Yes I would get a decent repair kit and pump, but still it is a feeling that bothered me. So while shopping I listed all possibilities and there it was, the Michilin Primacy MXM4 ZP listed at $135 a tire on sale from $200
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r=Base%20Model

They are relatively new so there weren't many reviews, but they all pretty much said quieter and not as rigid as the OE H rated Conti-Pro SSRs and plenty of grip in all temps. To be honest, this is really all that I need as I don't intend to track the car, and Summers don't have the treadlife of an All Season, not to mention much grip at all when it gets cold. A little softer, stickier and quieter than the Conti-Pros with good tread life is right in my wheel house. I guess this is why the Hankook's were on my list as well, not to mention a Michilin RFT for $135, not much more than the inexpensive go-flat Hankooks (which is what was bugging me about them, putting an cheap brand tire on a BMW that is).

They are sitting at my installer right now and I have an appt to get them put on next week. I'm hoping they work out.

Last edited by ddeliber; 03-20-2014 at 03:39 PM.