Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 01-18-2005, 04:38 AM
Poster Child for A.D.D.

Mein Auto: 328i
Look folks i'm going to let you in on a little secret.... Walmart (yes Walmart) will change your oil ond filter for 30$ with your choice of synthetic oil and yes they have mobil 1 5w30 changing your oil is a no brainer believe me.. change it early and often your motor will thank you for it.. i have built and raced turbo motors for years and oil is critical for anything with a turbo. so i think i know what i am talking about.. 30$ is that best deal going.. in most cases you can't buy the oil for that much.. MOBILe 1 is great oil, but if i had a choice i wold use AMSOIL oil and filters. It is the best synthetic you can buy period. redline guys will usually will even admit that. just look up a local rep if you want information on it. But 30$ for a full synthetic oil change is a great deal if you ask me.

As far as the break in period.. it is a recommendation not a hard fast rule.. i break in the engines that i build fast.. i prefer it.. gets everything hot and seated correctly. plus if there is a weak link it will go early instead of later. the only thing i preach is changing the oil early and often in the break in period.. 1500 miles 1st, 1500 miles 2nd, 3000 3rd 5000 miles after that. Just my opinion tho..

Last edited by my3rdbimmer; 01-18-2005 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Poster Child for A.D.D.

Mein Auto: 328i
here is the info for the amsoil oil you need

Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Oil
Long service life oil engineered for both diesel and gasoline engines including turbo charged vehicles. Provides superior wear protection and fuel efficiency compared to conventional oils. Premium synthetic oils and additives with 12 TBN chemistry resists oil breakdown from heat, blow-by chemicals, acids and oxygen. Improves cold temperature starting. Global performance specifications include: API CI-4+/SL/CF, EO-N + 03', DHD-1, ECF-1, ACEA A3/B3/E3/E5, VDS-3

1-Gallon & 2.5-Gallon Bottles, 30 and 55 Gallon Drums Also Available In Store
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil is a premium quality all fleet lubricant, specifically designed for use in commercial, industrial and fleet applications requiring diesel specifications CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-2 and CF, while also suitable for API SL gasoline engine lubrication.

Resists Oxidation and Thermal Breakdown
AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil resists breakdown from heat, blowby chemicals and oxygen up to ten times longer than do conventional oils. AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil resists forming sludge and varnish deposits, which contribute to corrosion, decreased fuel efficiency and increased engine wear. AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil doesn't thicken like conventional oils but maintains its viscosity, providing peak engine performance and extended drain intervals. AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil's superior heat transfer properties and exceptional lubricity reduces engine operating temperatures and engine wear.

Fuel Efficient Formula
AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil efficiently transfers energy from the engine to the drive-train. Its low coefficient of friction inhibits the energy loss to "drag" common to high viscosity oils. AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil surpasses the API Energy Conserving Rating requirements and provides significant fuel savings, with additional savings in oil make-up for over-the-road service.

Low Temperature Protection
AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil remains fluid at temperatures as low as -60 F (-51 C). It circulates rapidly to provide vital lubrication and prevent engine wear caused by lack of oil flow. AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil allows quicker, easier cold temperature starting with significantly reduced engine wear.

Reduces Oil Consumption
AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil loses only 6.5 percent of its mass to high temperature volatilization. Conventional multigrade oils often lose over 15 percent. Lower volatility means less oil vapor passing into the combustion chamber, resulting in a reduction in oil consumption and hydrocarbon emissions. Additionally, lower volatilization helps AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil retain its viscosity characteristics after high temperature service for continued dependable protection and excellent fuel economy.

Non-Foaming
AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil contains highly effective anti-foam agents to prevent oil foaming.

Extended Drain Intervals
AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil is specifically designed for long drain capability in both diesel and gasoline engines. Its unique synthetic formulation, improved detergent/dispersant capabilities and long drain additive package ensure maximum engine protection, cleanliness and performance over extended drain intervals. The extended drain intervals allowable with AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil reduce vehicle downtime and waste oil disposal costs.

Unsurpassed Engine Protection
AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil's higher VI provides a better protective film at higher temperatures than conventional SAE 40 oils, while remaining fluid at subzero temperatures. In every engine tested, AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil's unique technology significantly reduced ring wear, cylinder bore polishing, cylinder lining wear, oil consumption, piston deposits and ring breakage.

APPLICATION
Recommended for applications specifying the following:

DIESEL SPECIFICATIONS

API CI-4+, CH-4, CF, CF-2
ACEA B3, B4, E2, E3, E5
Global DHD-1
Mack EO-M+, EO-N Premium Plus 03
DDC Power Guard 93K214
Caterpillar ECF-1
Cummins CES 20071, 20072, 20076, 20077, 20078
Volvo VDS2, VDS3
MB 228.1, 228.3
GASOLINE SPECIFICATIONS

API SL, SJ
ACEA A3
MB229.5, 229.3, 229.1
BMW LL-01/98
VW 501.01, 502.00, 503.00, 505.00, 506.00
Opel Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
Porsche
Saab
SERVICE LIFE
In light-duty diesel engines, non-turbocharged diesel engines, heavy-duty diesel engines, turbocharged diesel engines: drain oil at intervals up to twice or more the oil drain interval length recommended by the engine manufacturer if extended drain intervals are supported by the findings of a used oil analysis program, or six months, whichever comes first.

In car and light truck non-turbocharged gasoline engines and in marine craft and infrequently used gasoline automotive engines: drain oil at intervals up to three times longer than those recommended by the engine manufacturer or one year, whichever comes first.

In turbocharged passenger car gasoline engines: drain oil at intervals up to twice the drain interval length recommended by the engine manufacturer or one year, whichever comes first.

In motorcycles and small off-road four-cycle gasoline engines: drain oil at engine manufacturer's recommendations.

In high performance or racing engines: drain oil at intervals determined by the findings of a used oil analysis program.

Change AMSOIL Full-Flow Oil Filters at 12,500 mile or six month intervals, whichever comes first, in gasoline engines. In diesel engines, change AMSOIL Full-Flow Oil Filters at 7000 mile or six month intervals, whichever comes first. Change other manufacturers' filters at the engine manufacturer's recommended filter change intervals.

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES - Revised 7/03

AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil (HDD)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)

Cold Crank Simulator Apparent Viscosity @ -25C, cP (ASTM D 2602)

Pour Point C (F) (ASTM D 97)
-51 (-60)

Flash Point C (F) (ASTM D 92)
236 (457)

Fire Point C (F) (ASTM D 92) 250 (482)

Noack Volatility (DIN 51581) 250C for 1 hour, % weight loss 6.5

High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity, cP, 150C, 1.0 x 106 s-1 (ASTM D-4683) >3.5

Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D 4172: 40kgf, 150C, 1800 rpm, 1 hr) Scar diameter, mm 0.40

Total Base Number
>12
Old 01-18-2005, 08:53 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Town
Easy now. No need to get huffy and accuse me of not understanding various lubrication related bits.

First, the Service and Warranty booklet I refer to has a print date of September 2002, and the throughput the test mentions the 2003 model year. To say this booklet is based in 1999 info would not appear to be correct.

I have been on this forum, as well as Roadfly and E46 Fanatics, and am fully aware of the many discussions there have been on engine oil, brake pads (or as some would say "break" pads), etc.

The context of my answer, and the usual context of many people who ask engine oil related questions is, "what oil can I use that will not void my warranty". That was the context of my answer. I agree with you that one's choices of suitable oil is much larger than BMW would like you to believe.

Don't tell me I don't understand viscosity and what "5w" means. I am fully aware of the meaning. However, in my reply I wasn't interested in writing a book on oil viscosity, etc. Kind of like what you said when you said you wanted "to keep it short".

In your threads you keep mentioning the ACEA A3/B3 specs. Where does BMW say that is a requirement? If you read official BMW documentation carefully, the only spec they mention is that the oil be a 5w-30 or 5w-40 and be SJ rated.

You've done alot of surfing and researching, and I think that's great.

My only complaints are that you are stating certain things as being official BMW statements (e.g the ACEA ratings). Once again, BMW makes no mention of ACEA ratings. Secondly, you assume people who have slightly different opinion than you don't know what they're talking about.

I'm and old guy and have been around alot longer that you might think. I've owned, driven, and worked on everything from 1200cc VW motors to V12s (try putting a clutch in a V12 E-type - been there, done that - patience is virtue).

I've also been intimately involved with SCCA racing and have crewed for a multi-time West Coast Regional Champion, that very car qualifying on the front row at the invitation only National Championships in Atlanta.

But wait, I was the chassis guy and dinked around with spring rates, shock valving, roll centers, camber, toe, tire temps, weight transfer, etc. Upon further consideration, you're right. I was just a chassis guy and didn't know what I was talking about when I wrote about engine oil. What was I thinking? Please accept my apologies.

SLO Town
Not to fuel this discussion, 'cause it's pointless and to avoid replies I'm only gonna say this: RTFM, check the list of approved oils and make your own decision based on that information, don't listen to anyone on the internet forums
Old 11-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Account closed at user's request.

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burakfb
Hi guys
Before everyone gets mad, yes i did do my homework and searched the forum, but now, i'm even more confused that ever before.
So here is deal, i have a 325i, bought a couple of months ago, and i have around 6500 miles on it. I got kinda worried today realizing thats twice the 3000 mile interval so i decided to ask for your oppinion on what i should do.
I'm no mechanic, and do not have the tools to do my own oil change.
So here is deal.
Some guys say that after after 7000 miles you should change your oil, some say 3000 miles, and other say that its fine with sythetic oil and you can wait till the 14000 mile limit(i think its 14000)
Most people do it for the peace of mind, which i think that is the sole reason that i'm doing it for.
For the gist of it, i want to change my oil! Should I? Would be the first question!
And where do i change it? I'm sure jiffy lube or midas is not the answer! should i take it to the dealer? i'm preety sure they wont do it for free, the free maintance plan is a marketing thing!
So i'm a little lost on what to do and how to do it!
I would apriciate any help!
Ooo and one last thing, that break in period that you guys talk about on new cars! I never did that, went over 3000 rpms even touched 6000 at maybe 50 miles on the car!
am i screwed?
Thanx
Burak
You're fine, years ago at the beamer factory i watched as the technician took a brand new bmw at the end of the line and floored it in neutral and held it to the floor for what seemed like an eternity to me, i guess they want to make sure it isn't going to break.
break in period? you don't want to drive it like an old lady, do you?
another guy on here had a bmw with over 300 k on it and had never changed the oil.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3rdbimmer
Look folks i'm going to let you in on a little secret.... Walmart (yes Walmart) will change your oil ond filter for 30$ with your choice of synthetic oil and yes they have mobil 1 5w30 changing your oil is a no brainer believe me.. change it early and often your motor will thank you for it
Wal-Mart, that destroyer of neighborhoods and family values, that preys upon its suppliers and employees, that has US subsidizing its health care for its employees. No thanks.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to FalconGuy
Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
Wal-Mart, that destroyer of neighborhoods and family values, that preys upon its suppliers and employees, that has US subsidizing its health care for its employees. No thanks.

I get such a kick out of all the Wal Mart bashers, not that I would ever let them touch my car.

When people say they put mom and pops out of business, I would always ask how many mom and pops had employee health care on any level for their employees. How about a 401K? Dental? Vision? Disability? Workers Comp? Not many I know and I know quite a few.

Family Values? they censor music and magazines for fear of offending family values, heck they wont even sell anything remotely contrary to family values, unless you consider shotguns anti family. They sponsor more local groups and donate to more charities than nearly any other entity besides government.

Shop where you like but please stop with the Wal Mart is ruining the country crap, the education level of their employees and the complexity of the tasks they perform is the reason the pay is considerably lower than what the avg Bimmerfest member makes.

Go ahead and buy your stuff for twice the price if you want but dont make up stories about how Walmart is ruining the USA.

There are a lot of people far better off for Walmart giving them a chance to get ahead and provide for their families, with a chance of something unheard of in the previous business model like health care, 401k etc. Even if these benefits are not available to everyone they are AVAILABLE to a group that never had them before, did you think your local hardware salesman had any of this before walmart? I know mine didn't, because it was me in high school. Today the same job would have offered me all I listed plus tuition reimbursement. Yea its hell at walmart.

Geez you guys listen to too much NPR/Michael Moore

Ever wonder why the average Walmart employee seems pretty happy? My company hire guys at 100K+ and we have difficulty keeping them half as motivated, Walmart has a very good business model, the growth proves it. People just hate success stories.

Of course im jaded bought a lot of stock a long time ago
Old 11-23-2005, 01:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Just to bring this back to the oil thread.....I cringed when the dealer told me the first oil change was 15K on my new 745. What they told me was 8 quarts and synthetic. I had to add 1 quart between maybe 3K to 5K, but the oil looked pretty good (not like the nasty black that occurred within 3K on my '75 chevy impala). Mine's a lease, so I go with the dealer as all maintainence is included, but I'm not so sure I'd change earlier if I owned.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:28 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotrosso
You're fine, years ago at the beamer factory i watched as the technician took a brand new bmw at the end of the line and floored it in neutral and held it to the floor for what seemed like an eternity to me, i guess they want to make sure it isn't going to break.
break in period? you don't want to drive it like an old lady, do you?
another guy on here had a bmw with over 300 k on it and had never changed the oil.
Are you sure it wasn't on rollers, and part of the final inspection? I have seen them run on the rollers at the factory in SC.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: '03 325i
haha

I like how the guy who has owned 6-7 bmws is railing against Wal Mart. You truly are a champion for the underpaid and less fortunate. lol. As far as oil goes, Mobil 1.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: '01 X5 '07 328xi '01 F350
FYI

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 06-23-2007, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: MB E320 CDI, BMW X5 4.8i
+1 on Walmart being the anti-Christ.. I never buy anything there, even if it's at 1/2 price.

As for oil, I too agree that the BMW free service is nice if you're in a lease, but I pay cash and keep my cars for 5+ years so I'm going to be doing half intervals on all the fluids. I also do one additional item.. On my CDI, I changed out all gear fluids at 1500 miles.. This is a break in for the engine, trans, and rear dif. I got a good independent shop to do it all for $400, and we did an analysis of the oils and there was quite a lot of metal shard in it.. this is the same stuff that will be suspended in your engine, rear dif, and tranny oil fr that 15000, or God forbid 100,000 (trans) mile interval.. NO THANKS! I do all my gear fluids at 1500, then again at 1/2 manufacturer intervals.

I have had more than one experienced and respected mechanic tell me that the best way to keep your vehicle running like new, is to change fluids often.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:56 AM
M Mad

BTW BMW DOES use a break in oil, but they also know that US owners will not bring it in at 1200 miles like required, so the break in oil is replaced with standard BMW oil at the VPC when the car arrives in the country.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 12-06-2007, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
2002 BMW 325i

Hello Everybody,
I just bought my first bimmer and was wondering if I can learn how to change the oil and break pads myself and get rid of the inspection blinking light in the dashboard (says -75 miles to inspection). If there is anything else i also need to do, please let me know before I seriously mess it up. Thank you and hope to get a reply soon.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:53 AM
M Mad

Oil changes and pads are pretty easy. Check out the Do It Yourself section.

You will also find how to reset the lights. Although it sounds like you are due for an Inspection, which is much more involved than an Oil Change, and if you aren't experienced, you should have a mechanic do it. You can use a BMW dealer or an independant BMW shop.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 12-20-2007, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 00 323i
Hi, just had my oil changed at Pep Boys. However, I checked the color of the oil the next morning, and it looks dirty. Now I'm not sure if they actually did the change or not (I brought it in for other service at the same time, so its possible they forgot to do the oil change).

I know synthetic oil is pretty clear when new. I have since driven only about 10 miles, but when I checked the dipstick, the oil was dirty brown already. Is it possible that they didn't actually do it? Or is it possible that they changed the oil, but didn't change the filter because they didn't have it in stock? Would that account for the oil color?

Or is it normal for new oil to turn used looking pretty much right away once it mixes with the old residue in the engine?

What do you guys think?
Old 12-20-2007, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: Acura,BMW,Honda
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer View Post
Have you checked other Stores / Chains ?, Some other stores play dirty games n politics, do not let the discount stores to be in the cities. You find the SAME BRANDS at cheaper price in Walmart/Sams club compared to others. Most employers DO NOT treat their employees fairly, this is Corporate America; It benefits mostly CORPORATIONS thru the laws and Corporation lobbies at political level.

Of-Course no one is perfect except the Almighty ONE GOD

But, Walmart / Sams club have the Choice of:
Oil and tires that you can select for your autos
they match the price most of the times
They prorate / give discounts if your tires go bad before warranty
You can order online and they ship to you, saving transport hassles
Their rates are very competitive
Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewWolf View Post
Hi, just had my oil changed at Pep Boys. However, I checked the color of the oil the next morning, and it looks dirty. Now I'm not sure if they actually did the change or not (I brought it in for other service at the same time, so its possible they forgot to do the oil change).

I know synthetic oil is pretty clear when new. I have since driven only about 10 miles, but when I checked the dipstick, the oil was dirty brown already. Is it possible that they didn't actually do it? Or is it possible that they changed the oil, but didn't change the filter because they didn't have it in stock? Would that account for the oil color?

Or is it normal for new oil to turn used looking pretty much right away once it mixes with the old residue in the engine?

What do you guys think?
I`d bet money that they did`nt change the oil.... take it back ASAP and raise Hell....
Old 12-21-2007, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
BTW BMW DOES use a break in oil, but they also know that US owners will not bring it in at 1200 miles like required, so the break in oil is replaced with standard BMW oil at the VPC when the car arrives in the country.
I know this can't be true for ED vehicles. I changed my oil right after I got it home with 500 miles on it from ED. The oil was black. There's no way it would have been black if they had changed it at the VPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3rdbimmer View Post
Look folks i'm going to let you in on a little secret.... Walmart (yes Walmart) will change your oil ond filter for 30$ with your choice of synthetic oil and yes they have mobil 1 5w30 changing your oil is a no brainer believe me.. change it early and often your motor will thank you for it.. i have built and raced turbo motors for years and oil is critical for anything with a turbo. so i think i know what i am talking about.. 30$ is that best deal going.. in most cases you can't buy the oil for that much.. MOBILe 1 is great oil, but if i had a choice i wold use AMSOIL oil and filters. It is the best synthetic you can buy period. redline guys will usually will even admit that. just look up a local rep if you want information on it. But 30$ for a full synthetic oil change is a great deal if you ask me.

As far as the break in period.. it is a recommendation not a hard fast rule.. i break in the engines that i build fast.. i prefer it.. gets everything hot and seated correctly. plus if there is a weak link it will go early instead of later. the only thing i preach is changing the oil early and often in the break in period.. 1500 miles 1st, 1500 miles 2nd, 3000 3rd 5000 miles after that. Just my opinion tho..
I don't think the Mobile 5-30 meets the LL-01 spec. I bought a quart of the Mobile 0-40 at Pep Girls because it was the only oil they had that meets the LL-01 spec in case I use a quart before my next change. I'm not giving BMW any chance to deny a warranty claim. I did my first change at 500 miles using the BMW 5-30 and I plan on sticking with it when I do my own intermediate 7500 mile changes. It's only $5 qt and seems to give decent UOA's, cheaper than the Mobil 0-40 and seeems to give better UOA's as the Mobil tends to shear bad.

15k is definately too long between changes. Speaking of BITOG, evidence here suggest the N54 could destroy the oil in as few as 1k miles, although I would like to see more UOA's:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...162#Post981162

I'm editing this because I just went to the Amsoil website and noticed that the series 3000 listed above does not meet any BMW spec. It's meets all the MB, but not BMW. I have no doubt it's a great oil, I use Amsoil in my bike, but if you want to use Amsoil and not void your warranty it looks the 5-40 Euro formula is your only choice. I'm sure the series 3000 would be a great choice after your warranty expires.

Last edited by 335i Driver; 12-21-2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: MOre info
Old 12-21-2007, 07:40 PM

Thumbs up

I read in the reviews that Amsoil and Redline Synthetic Motor oils are the best and Amsoil oil filters.

Now Mobil has Synthetic Oil (extended performance) and Synthetic Oil filter (extended performance) and is guaranteed for 15000 miles ??

Bosch Premium oil filter is also synthetic-natural and cheaper than Mobil !
Old 12-25-2007, 05:17 AM
M Mad

Not sure if ED get a different service at the VPC. But BMW DOES (or at least did a few years ago) use a break in oil, and in Europe all the cars had a manadatory 1200 mile (2000 km) service.

There were threads around here about tours of the VPC and them changing the oil.

And there is no way your oil was black from use in 500 miles, otherwise your engine has serious problems. Modern synthetics are much darker than conventional oils, out of the bottle.

How long is long enough? A flat statement of 15K miles is too long is like saying that. BMW doesn't use a 15K mile oil change interval. They use a certain fuel usage which relates to the use of the car. Drive the car harder, use more fuel and that number rolls down, and possibly quite quickly. I know several people with M3s that count down to service in under 10K and a regular basis and the record is about 7K miles.

And most other cars have gone to 7,500 mile service intervals, on conventional oils. The only people recommending 3K/3month is Jiffy Lube, and I wonder why they might do that?

But bottom line is, do oil analysis and see what YOUR car/oil is doing. Blackstone has a neat pump kit that allows you to take a sample at any time by pumping a container full out through the dipstick hole. Of course, with curent models there is no dipstick, so youa re still SOL. But you can take a sample at change time. And to start with, try a mid life change.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 12-25-2007, 09:25 AM

Talking

[QUOTE=Pinecone;2888775]
1)Not sure if ED get a different service at the VPC,
2)In Europe all the cars had a manadatory 1200 mile (2000 km) service.
3))BMW doesn't use a 15K mile oil change interval. And most other cars have gone to 7,500 mile service intervals, on conventional oils.
4)The only people recommending 3K/3month is Jiffy Lube, and I wonder why they might do that? QUOTE]

1) Heard BMWs do get some special oil at VPC ? Is there speciall oil other than Synthetic?
2) Y US-BMWs are recomended for 15000 oil change? Is it synthetic oil or what?
3) BMW recommends oil change at 15000 miles / one year and NO TIRE ROTATION.
4) Most oil change places recommend strongly 3500 mile and tire rotation. Y --$$ ?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Sabbath

Mein Auto: 03 330ci
Oil Brand

Hey guys,
Everyone is saying Bmw only reccommends Mobil1 or BMW brand oil, but on my 03 330ci oil filler cap is spacifically says "use only Castrol brand oil" so I run Castrol GTX Full Synthetic. I sthis because its an older model? Does anyone know what the best type, and size of wrench to use to remove the filter cap? It seems like the plastic will damage easily.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:23 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath View Post
Hey guys,
Everyone is saying Bmw only reccommends Mobil1 or BMW brand oil, but on my 03 330ci oil filler cap is spacifically says "use only Castrol brand oil" so I run Castrol GTX Full Synthetic. I sthis because its an older model? Does anyone know what the best type, and size of wrench to use to remove the filter cap? It seems like the plastic will damage easily.
If you wanna use Castrol then stick to Syntec European Formula 0W-30.

Check E46 Wiki for more info:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...46#Maintenance
Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath View Post
Hey guys,
Everyone is saying Bmw only reccommends Mobil1 or BMW brand oil, but on my 03 330ci oil filler cap is spacifically says "use only Castrol brand oil" so I run Castrol GTX Full Synthetic. I sthis because its an older model?
You should use an oil that meets BMW LL-01. I always bought oil from the BMW dealer. I knew they'd have it on the shelf and with the CCA discount it was often the least expensive LL-01 oil.\\

Castrol GTX Full Synthetic is not an LL-01 oil. Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is. --> http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=6006933

The BMW branded oil sold at dealers is German Castrol. It is possible but not always easy to find an LL-01 Castrol branded German Castrol in the US. In the UK it is sold as Castrol Edge 0W-30.

Motul has an LL-01. Elf has one too. They can be hard to find in the US.

Some of the grades of Mobil 1 meets LL-01. I think the 0W-40 is one. Look for an LL-01 on the bottle or Mobil's website.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 12-20-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW
Any oil that meets LL01 meets spec, most XW30's don't and that includes M1 0/5/10W30. Oil must meet ACEA A3,B3 as a minimum. Valvoline Synpower MST 5W30 meets spec, common Synpower 5W30 doesn't.