Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-18-2005, 01:16 PM
doh!!!

Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3 sold->M2 comp
EVO3 SSK and spouse

HI,

For people who have installed the UUC EVO3 SSK what does you wife/gf think about it? Thinking about installing one on the wagon and trying to figure out if my wife would like it.

TIA
Jef
Ads by Google
Old 01-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 E46 328Ci Bright Red
I have one, and if I had to do it over again, I would stick to OEM, or investigate B&M or RE. The UUC shifter is noisy, makes the interior of the car noisier by transmitting noise inside even when it's not used, and is significantly more difficult to shift. I can still shift it with my fingers most of the time, but it takes more effort. Also, after a while, I became used to the shorter shifts, and that wasn't a significant benefit anymore (the shifts now feel too long again). It also feels cheaper, because it's either lighter or stiffer, so it feels less substantial --- this last point is very subjective however.

I had a chance to try out a fellow Fester's RE with WSR this past weekend at tech session, and that setup was significantly better in terms of ease of shifting, while still reducing the throw length, but this was done in a stationary car. People have also been happy with B&M, but I haven't tried any of their shifters.

--Andre
Old 01-18-2005, 03:37 PM
doh!!!

thanks for review eventhough it was negative. Just to confirm you have the Evo3 version right? not some earlier version.

searched and only found this positive review

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=evo3+review
Old 01-18-2005, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: '02 E39 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I have one, and if I had to do it over again, I would stick to OEM, or investigate B&M or RE. The UUC shifter is noisy, makes the interior of the car noisier by transmitting noise inside even when it's not used, and is significantly more difficult to shift. I can still shift it with my fingers most of the time, but it takes more effort. Also, after a while, I became used to the shorter shifts, and that wasn't a significant benefit anymore (the shifts now feel too long again). It also feels cheaper, because it's either lighter or stiffer, so it feels less substantial --- this last point is very subjective however.

I had a chance to try out a fellow Fester's RE with WSR this past weekend at tech session, and that setup was significantly better in terms of ease of shifting, while still reducing the throw length, but this was done in a stationary car. People have also been happy with B&M, but I haven't tried any of their shifters.

--Andre
That's interesting...I had an EVO3 for 2000 miles and I just switched to the RE kit last month. Personally, IMHO, I prefer the RE kit.

I think it's a matter of personal preference. I see tons of people are happy with their B&M kits while others swear by their UUC kits. I'd try all different kits before you make your final decision. YMMV.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:39 PM

Yes, EVO3 USCE model (for the 328), with everything installed (ERK, Delrin bushings) at the default height, and with the OE premium package wooden knob. I've had it for a year and over 10K miles.

--Andre
Old 01-18-2005, 06:23 PM
doh!!!

thanks for the replies.

I was hoping this would be easier
Old 01-18-2005, 06:46 PM
life is fragile

Send a message via ICQ to santiago Send a message via MSN to santiago
Mein Auto: 2004 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML
thanks for the replies.

I was hoping this would be easier
If you're looking for justification and approval of a decision to get a SSK, go ask the same question over at E46Fanatics.com

Visit my E46 Touring DIY Site

Life is fragile
Old 01-18-2005, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
Hi Jeff, I installed an EVO3 from UUC in my 325i at the first oil change. Dealer did it for me gladly in less than an hour. I bought a Magnum Shift knob, the 27 ouncer, and my shifts are smoother, swifter, better than the stock. My wife has not driven the car yet but I don't think she'll have a problem. It's still BMW shifting, just a shorter throw. Maybe the fact that I have nearly a two pound shift knob makes a difference, I think.
Here was my post after the install. I have run about 3000kms with the new shifter, no probs.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=short+shifter
Old 01-18-2005, 09:28 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:

--Andre
I have a B&M SSK and with the stock shift knob it transmitted a lot of noise in to the cabin, esp synchro whine in 1st and 2nd. I would say that 99% of the noise went away when I swapped the stock knob out for a WSM. Note that I have nothing to compare the B&M to as I've never had any other SSK in my car, and have only ever test driven a UUC SSK once.

The B&M is still decently notchy, but with the WSM it just glides in to the next gear like butta!

If I'd have known you wanted to get a feel for the B&M, you could have taken my car out for a test drive.

Last edited by operknockity; 01-19-2005 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:59 PM
I gotta have more cowbell

Mein Auto: '03 M5
I'll have a full write-up later this week, but here are my initial impressions with the RE SSK and WSR:

- some noise (synchros?) transmits into the cabin in 1st and 2nd gears
- throws are short and precise, and there's very little play in the gear selector
- shifter is tilted back slightly compared to stock, so it looks like I'm in neutral when I'm actually in 1st
- more effort is required to engage a gear, especially the neutral-to-1st shift

I have not tried the UUC kit, but comments like those expressed in this thread are what initially steered me in the direction of the RE kit. So far, I'm satisfied.

2003 E39 M5, Carbon Black, Black extended leather
M Audio, PDC, Power sunshade, folding rear seats, DINAN Stage 1 software

2007 E90 335i, Sparkling Graphite (lease transferred)
2002 E46 325i, Topaz Blue (totalled)
Old 01-18-2005, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: '02 E39 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrgnt
...here are my initial impressions with the RE SSK and WSR:

- some noise (synchros?) transmits into the cabin in 1st and 2nd gears
I notice that with my RE kit, too, but it's accetable. With my EVO3, I didn't have the whine unless I shift fast at high RPM and it was 10 times as loud as RE's...
Old 01-19-2005, 05:36 AM
Speed Bump

Mein Auto: 75 Vega
I installed an Evo3 and DSSR in my 325it and got the question, "Did you put a shifter in the car?" I have not heard a peep since.

One bit of advice: Get the DSSR. It is fantastic.

Ed
Old 01-19-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
If I'd have known you wanted to get a feel for the B&M, you could have taken my car out for a test drive.
Thanks! Perhaps at the next TS.

--Andre
Old 01-19-2005, 09:31 AM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
I had the EVO 3 in my 325 and it was great. The shifts were shorter, albeit they required 50% more effort but a heavier shift knob made it easier. And I never noticed any more noise into the cabin. (Some lucky bastard out there got a free SSK and they don't even know it)

But my 325 had a major issue with 1st to 2nd upshifts where it would clunk badly sometimes, yet it would be silky other times. A combination of Evo III, Redline D4 ATF fluid, and heavier shift knob got rid of the clunk.

Before I took delivery of my 330 I ordered a Evo 3. But after playing around with the 'shorter' shifter in the ZHP I realize that there was something seriously wrong with the gearbox in my 325. Does GM really make the trannys?

Anyways, I haven't put in the Evo to replace the ZHP shifter yet. But I plan to in a few days.

Last edited by shizat63; 01-19-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:31 AM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
ZHP vs. 330
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zhp_shifter.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	43112  

Old 01-20-2005, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: 330i Performance Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63
Anyways, I haven't put in the Evo to replace the ZHP shifter yet. But I plan to in a few days.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks!

Johnny
Old 03-13-2005, 07:28 PM

An update: I just installed a Whalen knob:

http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com

And it's basically changed the feel of the short shifter in a very positive way. It's much smoother, less noisy, and easier to use. Also, the throws are even shorter now! It feels like a heavier, more massive version of an Acura TSX or a Mazda RX-8 shifter, for a reference. I'd say that it's not a great idea to use the stock knob on a short shifter, and you should consider adding a heavier shift knob if you install a short shifter.

The Whalen works very well, and Doug Whalen has great service, too.

--Andre
Old 03-13-2005, 07:46 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
An update: I just installed a Whalen knob:

http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com

And it's basically changed the feel of the short shifter in a very positive way. It's much smoother, less noisy, and easier to use. Also, the throws are even shorter now! It feels like a heavier, more massive version of an Acura TSX or a Mazda RX-8 shifter, for a reference. I'd say that it's not a great idea to use the stock knob on a short shifter, and you should consider adding a heavier shift knob if you install a short shifter.

The Whalen works very well, and Doug Whalen has great service, too.

--Andre
Exactly my experience with the stock knob vs the WSM on my B&M SSK!

Old 03-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML
HI,

For people who have installed the UUC EVO3 SSK what does you wife/gf think about it? Thinking about installing one on the wagon and trying to figure out if my wife would like it.

TIA
Jef
I forgot which one ended up going in my wife's 318i (maybe Kaz remembers since he was helping me through the install). Anyway, she likes the shorter throw.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:27 AM
doh!!!

expensive shift knob, looks nice though.

decided to keep rowing the boat
Old 03-14-2005, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
I have the Evo3 and DSSR in my 325i and I can't say I have noticed any noise after the installation. Shifting required more effort but either I am used to it now or it's broken in and does not exist anymore. I never tried the RE or B&M kits so can't help you there, but I would recommend the UUC one.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
just to add a little more to the debate....

i found this link really helpful in discussing the differences between the UUC & RE SSK. keep in mind though it was based on the evo2 w/o DSSR. but still informative...also the madrussian has reviews of other SSK....good luck and let us know what you decide

http://m3.madrussian.net/review_rogue_vs_uuc.shtml