Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 01-18-2005, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325iT
Arrow Aux Input & Ipod

I just had the dealer install the aux input in the glove box of my 325iT w/Nav (MY05).

Now I'm trying to figure out how to plug in my iPod into it. What cable do I need to do this?

curuxu
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e90 M3 M-DCT wk22 build..
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006

I bought one of these, it has amplifier so you can hear the ipod, and then you need to buy the flashlight to cigaretter lighter adapter to power the belkin from inside the glove box.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
A simple male-to-male 1/8" "headphone" cable. You can get it at your neighborhood radio shack.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:14 PM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
I just installed it. All you need is a male-male headphone cable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3133aux01.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	43083   Click image for larger version

Name:	3133aux02.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	43084  

Old 01-18-2005, 07:18 PM

Did you get much volume out of it? on mine, even with P6 volume on the AUX input, I had to crank the volume. With the Belkin amp, it's the same as the radio and CD...
Old 01-18-2005, 07:27 PM

Yep, the audio level is low on the aux port. Gotta be careful when switching to radio.

I can't stand FM modulators

Old 01-18-2005, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63
shizat63,

that's a pretty neat install...i've never seen it like that. i thought most people put it in the glove box? and that's using the bmw adapter kit right? so you can control it from the wheel still? how difficult was the install, did you do it yourself? and if so can you point me to the diy you may have used or created? sorry for all the questions the only place that i found information on this was in the x-5 forum...thanx!
Old 01-19-2005, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
shizat63,

that's a pretty neat install...i've never seen it like that. i thought most people put it in the glove box? and that's using the bmw adapter kit right? so you can control it from the wheel still? how difficult was the install, did you do it yourself? and if so can you point me to the diy you may have used or created? sorry for all the questions the only place that i found information on this was in the x-5 forum...thanx!
I think you're confusing the aux audio input cable with the iPod interface. For cars with nav you can't install the iPod cable, so the only other option is a simple audio input. I don't have control of the iPod from the steering wheel and the display doesn't show the tracks. But I can still plug in other audio sources like my laptop.

This DIY didn't really help me much b/c it's for non-Nav cars http://www.my330i.com/mod26.php

It was pretty hard getting the central air vents and Nav display out. Otherwise it's not too bad. The cable is really long so you can mount it pretty much anywhere.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:22 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by man02195
Did you get much volume out of it? on mine, even with P6 volume on the AUX input, I had to crank the volume. With the Belkin amp, it's the same as the radio and CD...
Keep in mind that the headphone out will be at the volume you set it for on the headphones. You'll probably want to crank the volume out on the iPod to get satisfactorty results.

Better yet, get something like the Sik Imp or sendstation pocket dock, which has a small "dock" that plugs into teh bottom with a line-level out.

BTW, anyone able to find a mini-jack patch cable shorter than 6 feet?
Old 01-19-2005, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
all you need to do is turn up the aux input level on the radio, I have mine on 3 and it works beautiful. Don't have to crank the volume on either
Old 01-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Using SPF 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkoufidis
all you need to do is turn up the aux input level on the radio, I have mine on 3 and it works beautiful. Don't have to crank the volume on either
Right, but it looks like he has it at 6 already--that means teh input level is too low.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanning machine
Right, but it looks like he has it at 6 already--that means teh input level is too low.
The Belkin charger/amp plugs into the dock connector, so it's line level output, and you never have to worry about blowing speakers when switching back and forth from FM or CD. It has it's own volume control that you can use in conjuction with P1 to P6 to make the volume the same as FM and CDs.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 - 330i - ZHP
Alternative iPOD Connector

Hi everyone,

An alternative to the Belkin charger is another charger unit that is manufactured by Monster Cable. Monster Cable offers 2 types of chargers. The one that I purchased is called the "Ultra-Low Profile Charger for iPodŽ with Dock Connection." Unlike the Belkin charger, the audio output is placed at the dock connector of the charger. Once connected, the volume can be controlled using the knob of the stock head unit.

Like some of you, I got frustrated with the lack of volume coming through the Belkin charger. With the Monster charger, this is no longer an issue. No problems so far.

Click the link below and look for the charger described above. It retails for the same price at the Belkin. Also, it can be purchased at your local Best Buy, Apple Store, etc.

http://www.monstercable.com/computer/mac.asp

Hope this helps.

Flex
Old 01-19-2005, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: '04 ZHP Silver Gray
That's weird, I've never had volume control problems with my Pod in the Aux jack. Also, my Aux level only goes to 5, not 6. Strange.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco
That's weird, I've never had volume control problems with my Pod in the Aux jack. Also, my Aux level only goes to 5, not 6. Strange.
Maybe it's a Nav vs. Non-Nav difference in the AUX input sensitivity? The Belkin charger/amp unit solved my problems for my Nav car.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: Mystic Blue 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
A simple male-to-male 1/8" "headphone" cable. You can get it at your neighborhood radio shack.
If I have the dealer install the Aux-In adapter so that the jack is in the usual glovebox location, can I run one of these headphone cables out of the glovebox while it is closed? Ideally I'd like to have the iPod in the cabin with me so I can change songs when I am at stop lights and such. Or if I have a passenger in the car with me it would be cool if they could fiddle with it. (This is also why the official BMW adapter isn't very appealing to me.)

A custom install where the jack was somewhere in the center console would be sweet, but I am not comfortable doing that sort of work myself.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:42 PM
2004 325XI

Send a message via AIM to solsurfr Send a message via MSN to solsurfr
Mein Auto: 2004 325XI
Quote:
Great install. Mine is in the glove box. I think yours is much more practical than in the glove box with the cable coming out. I never understood why BMW decided on installing the aux in the glove box?

European Delivery - 2004 325XI, Black Saphirre, Sand Leather, CWP, Moonroof, Xenon, Pwr Seats, Computer w/Navi, Sirius Satellite Radio
Old 01-19-2005, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
Quote:
I think you're confusing the aux audio input cable with the iPod interface. For cars with nav you can't install the iPod cable, so the only other option is a simple audio input. I don't have control of the iPod from the steering wheel and the display doesn't show the tracks. But I can still plug in other audio sources like my laptop.

This DIY didn't really help me much b/c it's for non-Nav cars http://www.my330i.com/mod26.php

It was pretty hard getting the central air vents and Nav display out. Otherwise it's not too bad. The cable is really long so you can mount it pretty much anywhere.
thanx for clearing that up!!
Old 01-19-2005, 02:53 PM

Camera phone pic during the install
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic004.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	43126  

Old 01-19-2005, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Easy, about 1% ghetto solution:

If you have the glove box install but want the convenience of a cupholder install, go to Radio Shack and buy a 6' stereo headphone cable. It costs 5 bucks. Plug one end into the input, then there's a small hole in the bottom of the glovebox that will just fit a cable underneath the flashlight. You kind of have to jam the end of the cable through but once it's going it's easy. From there you can run the cable forward and then under the floormat and passenger seat, and finally up into the cupholder. It's nearly invisible if you have a black interior, and there aren't any dangling wires to get passengers caught up on. You have to be careful not to pinch the wire when closing the glovebox, but it's easy to prevent by holding the wire inside the hole in the bottom of the glovebox.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:06 AM
Using SPF 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Pickle
A custom install where the jack was somewhere in the center console would be sweet, but I am not comfortable doing that sort of work myself.
It's really not that hard--removing teh center console enough to run the cable is a lot easier than removing the trim/headunit/glovebox for the standard install. (put more accurately--it was easier to remove the center console than the glove box.)
Old 01-20-2005, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: '03 330i, SP, PP, xenon
Quote:
Camera phone pic during the install
That looks great! i especially like how it can all be covered up by the black piece of rubber. how difficult was it to get the plate with the plug on it screwed into the plastic? I assume you had to do some drilling/cutting on it. What did you do exactly?
Old 01-20-2005, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwant330i
That looks great! i especially like how it can all be covered up by the black piece of rubber. how difficult was it to get the plate with the plug on it screwed into the plastic? I assume you had to do some drilling/cutting on it. What did you do exactly?
Piece of cake. Just drill 1 hole larger than the diameter of the threaded part, but smaller than the nut. The 2 plastic screws secure the plate. When you see the cable it will make sense. The hardest part was getting the central vent out if you have a nav display.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 330i Performance Package
I recently did the Aux Input install in my NAV car. Yes, the central air vents and the nav unit are a pain to remove. Also, when you are removing the trim piece, use a rag and a flathead screwdriver. Start on the PASSENGER DOOR SIDE and it will be a piece of cake. I started on the wrong side & wound up with a slightly damaged trim piece. It requires quite a bit of muscle to remove. But, once you get the far right hand part lifted, just follow the trim piece around to the left until you get most of it 'lifted'. Then a good twist with the screwdriver & you should be good.

On the Center Air Vents, once you remove the screws in between the vents and the Nav unit, take the screwdriver & pry it UP from the flanges that hold the screws. Once you see it, you'll know.

Same with the NAV unit. Use the screwdriver & twist so that you are prying it downward. A good solid twist & you're done. After that, pull it out & you'll see a tiny connecter wrapped in cloth tape. Unwrap it & then plug your Aux Input cable & you're home free.

Remove the glove box via all of the screws etc & do your drilling. I have my Aux Input in my glove. I run a 6 ft cable out the back of the glove & I tucked it under the center tunnel in the passenger side footwell. Then, it comes out just to the right of the ashtray.

I bought the Belkin charger/stand for my mini ipod called the Belkin Tune Base for $50. This is great since it places the cable nice n' low-right next to the charger portion of the Belkin unit. The stand is high enough that I can place my iPod just behind my ignition behind my steering wheel. I'll try to post pics in a few days. I can read the display w/o taking my eyes off the road & I can fast forward to the next song w/my right hand w/o looking to see where it is.

I do have a little lower than usual volume on my Aux Input vs Radio/CD. Just have to be mindful so I don't launch a speaker cone into orbit.

Hope my quick n dirty DIY hints help. I ran into some problems while doing mine & I hope these hints clear up anything that isn't already covered in some of the other DIY's. Some of them have inaccurate info or info not pertaining to NAV equipped cars.

Let me know how the install goes!!! It shouldn't take too long.

Johnny
Old 02-12-2005, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: '03 330i, SP, PP, xenon
shizat, what path did you use to get the cable down to the tray? I'm trying to figure out what pieces need to be removed, in particular how you got it down underneath the shifter. did you have to take apart the shifter?

Quote:
Piece of cake. Just drill 1 hole larger than the diameter of the threaded part, but smaller than the nut. The 2 plastic screws secure the plate. When you see the cable it will make sense. The hardest part was getting the central vent out if you have a nav display.