Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
Bluetooth: 2005 voice recognition add?

I have read many Bluetooth posts but haven't clearly understood the answer to this question: With a 2005 Bluetooth (and NAV) eqipped car do you need to add a voice recognition module in order to voice dial (and voice activate the NAV)? It seems that this comes with the Bluetooth retrofit kit necessary for non-factory Bluetooth cars.

If this is the case, where do you get a voce activation module (is this also known as an SES?) and how much should it be. Also, is it then better to get an '05 car without Assist (assuming you don't otherwise want the Assist functions) and install a Bluetooth kit?

Please advise. Many thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 01-19-2005, 05:28 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjb
I have read many Bluetooth posts but haven't clearly understood the answer to this question: 1)With a 2005 Bluetooth (and NAV) eqipped car do you need to add a voice recognition module in order to voice dial (and voice activate the NAV)? It seems that this comes with the Bluetooth retrofit kit necessary for non-factory Bluetooth cars.

2)If this is the case, where do you get a voce activation module (is this also known as an SES?) and how much should it be. 3)Also, is it then better to get an '05 car without Assist (assuming you don't otherwise want the Assist functions) and install a Bluetooth kit?

Please advise. Many thanks.
1) Yes, you need the SES.

2) Pacific BMW, Circle BMW, any BMW dealer can sell you the newest one for around $375.00; Circle BMW has one with an old part number that costs $265.00, I bought that one and works pretty good for me. What is the difference between this one and the newest one in term of features: none. However (and I am guessing here), perhaps the voice recognition decoding software is more precise (less prone to voice recognition mistakes).

3) The BT ULF module is around $500.00 with the SES built in, installation is extra or you can DIY. The Assist/BT factory single option is $750.00, it is bundled into the Premium Package or even standard depending if your M3 is a Convertible. So it all depends of what you want to spend and maybe you do not have any decision to make at all if you have a Cab...

Last edited by Technic; 04-29-2005 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
1) Yes, you need the SES.

2) Pacific BMW, Circle BMW, any BMW dealer can sell you the newest one for around $375.00; Circle BMW has one with an old part number that costs $265.00, I bought that one and works pretty good for me. What is the difference between this one and the newest one in term of features: none. However (and I am guessing here), perhaps the voice recognition decoding software is more precise (less prone to voice recognition mistakes).

3) The BT ULF module is around $500.00 with the SES built in, installation is extra or you can DIY. The Assist/BT factory single option is $700.00, it is bundled into the Premium Package or even standard depending if your M3 is a Convertible. So it all depends of what you want to spend and maybe you do not have any decision to make at all if you have a Cab...
Thanks for the reply. So with Assist you can still add the VR? Is installation just a question of plugging it in and bolting it to a bracket in the trunk?

Am I correct that installation of the BT ULF involves installing a button in the center console and a microphone in the trim above the interior mirror in addition to installing a box in the trunk?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. 1)So with Assist you can still add the VR? 2)Is installation just a question of plugging it in and bolting it to a bracket in the trunk?

3)Am I correct that installation of the BT ULF involves installing a button in the center console and a microphone in the trim above the interior mirror in addition to installing a box in the trunk?
1) Yes

2) Is as simple as this link: http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_...ecognition.htm (this is a E39, however the E46 is the same concept, different install location)

3) If you have the phone preparation you should not require the installation of a microphone, it is already there. The pairing button and the box installation is correct.

www.x5world.com
Old 01-19-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
1) Yes

2) Is as simple as this link: http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_...ecognition.htm (this is a E39, however the E46 is the same concept, different install location)

3) If you have the phone preparation you should not require the installation of a microphone, it is already there. The pairing button and the box installation is correct.

www.x5world.com

But you need the pairing button in addition to the button on the steering wheel?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
But you need the pairing button in addition to the button on the steering wheel?
With the separate BT ULF module, yes...
Old 01-19-2005, 09:58 AM

Quote:
With the separate BT ULF module, yes...

That's too bad. Many thanks for all your advice.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
I'm not sure that is true for '05. I thought I read somewhere that you don't need a pairing button for the latest BT module. M3 Tech, if you can find him, seems very knowledgeable on this stuff. Do a search.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r
I'm not sure that is true for '05. I thought I read somewhere that you don't need a pairing button for the latest BT module. M3 Tech, if you can find him, seems very knowledgeable on this stuff. Do a search.
I am M3Tech (Technic here)...

tmjb is asking for the separate BT ULF module, not the Assist/BT TCU, which you are correct, it does not have a pairing button. In addition, some of the OEM BT phone cradles comes with the pairing button as part of the frame, like this one (seems like a X5):

http://www.bimmernav.com/assist2BT.htm

Last edited by Technic; 01-19-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:23 PM

Thanks to you both for your replies.

What I am asking is for an '05 330 CiC without Assist can I install bluetooth (wiring and mic are already preinstalled right?) without having to use the cradle and pairing button, and instead use the button on the steering wheel for pairing/Bluetooth use? I would then only have to install the ULF in the trunk I beleive.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:32 PM

Ah... I should have realized. Hey, thanks for all the good information on this stuff, your help is appreciated.

So, on a 2005 M3 with nav and assist (premium pk), is the extra SES module needed?

FWIW: I've decided to go with a v551 since they have a snap in adapter for the 3 series, and also the Razr is just too expensive and who knows if there ever will be an adapter.

I'm picking up the car in Munich in March!

Quote:
I am M3Tech (Technic here)...
Old 01-19-2005, 12:35 PM

I am too, mid March. How about you?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:40 PM

Yes, mid march, right now set for the 15th, but I may change it by a few days!

Quote:
I am too, mid March. How about you?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:48 PM

I'm due to pick up March 18th. Maybe we'll meet?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:09 PM

I'll post as my plans get more solid. What are you picking up?

Here's my info:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84273

Quote:
I'm due to pick up March 18th. Maybe we'll meet?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Thanks to you both for your replies.

What I am asking is for an '05 330 CiC without Assist can I install bluetooth (wiring and mic are already preinstalled right?) without having to use the cradle and pairing button, and instead use the button on the steering wheel for pairing/Bluetooth use? I would then only have to install the ULF in the trunk I beleive.
You still will need to install the pairing button, tmjb... this is not the new TCU that got rid of that button. However you do not have to permanently install it (as in cutting a hole in your center console), just make sure that you have it easily accessible. And the cradle is an option, not a requirement.

The best post so far that I have read for a CiC BT ULF installation is this one: http://www.bmwboard.com/forum/showpo...9&postcount=34

... and you can read there that the owner did not cut anything to install the pairing button.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:04 PM

I read your post with interest the other day.

Mine is my first BMW: 330 CiC, Sparkling Graphite, Black top and interior, Step (for my wife), Xenon, Nav, Assist (possibly - this is what I am trying to finalize becuase I want Bluetooth and voice activation but don't care to much about Assist), ZCW.

We intend to drive from Munich through Austria to Florence, Cinque Terre, Provence, Barcelona and drop off in Madrid.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Ah... I should have realized. Hey, thanks for all the good information on this stuff, your help is appreciated.

So, on a 2005 M3 with nav and assist (premium pk), is the extra SES module needed?

FWIW: I've decided to go with a v551 since they have a snap in adapter for the 3 series, and also the Razr is just too expensive and who knows if there ever will be an adapter.

I'm picking up the car in Munich in March!
Your welcome... yes it is needed if you want voice commands, the SES is not part of the new Assist/BT TCU.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:

Mine is my first BMW: 330 CiC, Sparkling Graphite, Black top and interior, Step (for my wife), Xenon, Nav, Assist (possibly - this is what I am trying to finalize becuase I want Bluetooth and voice activation but don't care to much about Assist), ZCW.

We intend to drive from Munich through Austria to Florence, Cinque Terre, Provence, Barcelona and drop off in Madrid.
Get the Assist and then order the SES thru Crevier or Circle BMW (it is plug and play) and you will solve your issue of the pairing button. After all, the price of the Assist will be part of your payment, and you will be getting a year of free service. You might use it, you never know (hope not)...
Old 01-19-2005, 03:18 PM

Sounds like good advice. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:36 PM

Sounds beautiful. The e46 cabs are probably better looking then the coupes. Tempting no doubt. Assist comes with the M3 premium package, so I'm getting it that way, doubt if I'd renew. I'm also getting a package that eliminates the steering wheel buttons including the phone button, but with Nav, I should be able to get back the (voice) features I hope.

Keep in touch.

Quote:

Old 01-19-2005, 03:38 PM

OK, I guess that's BMWs way of getting a few hundred out of us, while still "including" Bluetooth for 2005.

Quote:
Your welcome... yes it is needed if you want voice commands, the SES is not part of the new Assist/BT TCU.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
OK, I guess that's BMWs way of getting a few hundred out of us, while still "including" Bluetooth for 2005.
If you are getting the M3 ZCP I am not sure that the SES will work in your car. Unless the Nav phone button will be enabled for voice commands (by pressing and holding) just for the ZCP config, I do not know how you are going to activate the SES.

In the regular M3 full buttons steering wheel you only activate the SES by pressing and holding the Voice button below the R/T button; with Nav the phone button do not activate the SES. Ask this out to your dealer before ordering the SES...
Old 01-19-2005, 05:53 PM

Yes, ZCP. So we may not have the voice options, but the bluetooth phone should still work with the Nav to see the caller id, and to dial using the nav display / phone book transfer.

Quote:
If you are getting the M3 ZCP I am not sure that the SES will work in your car. Unless the Nav phone button will be enabled for voice commands (by pressing and holding) just for the ZCP config, I do not know how you are going to activate the SES.

In the regular M3 full buttons steering wheel you only activate the SES by pressing and holding the Voice button below the R/T button; with Nav the phone button do not activate the SES. Ask this out to your dealer before ordering the SES...
Old 01-19-2005, 08:01 PM

I contacted Circle to ask about the SES for the 05 330CiC and so far they can't find one listed. I got a 'Hmmm'. I've them to investigate further.

Any ideas?