Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjb
I contacted Circle to ask about the SES for the 05 330CiC and so far they can't find one listed. I got a 'Hmmm'. I've them to investigate further.

Any ideas?
Circle is correct, there is no US SES listed for CIC although the car has the SES steering button preparation and the built in SES of the BT ULF module does work in the Cab.

The common part number (Coupes/Sedan/Convertible) in Europe is 84 41 6 915 047 English language version. Why it is not listed in the US parts database is not clear...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SES.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	43164  
Old 01-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
Hey that's great information. Thanks.

How do you know this stuff?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Do I need the other parts too in order to install? Can I order the old module you refered to in your reply yesterday?
Old 01-24-2005, 06:21 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjb
Do I need the other parts too in order to install? Can I order the old module you refered to in your reply yesterday?
Sorry for the lateness answering, I was out of country...

I would first make sure that your US CiC has the 54 pin blue connector somewhere in your trunk for the SES before buying anything; if it follows the Coupe and Sedan wiring path that connector should be wrapped in a foam sleeve -with a Fakra antenna connector beside it too- on the left side of your trunk ...

The attachment in my previous post come from www.realoem.com/bmw, an extremely helpful site for BMW parts information.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Circle is correct, there is no US SES listed for CIC although the car has the SES steering button preparation and the built in SES of the BT ULF module does work in the Cab.

The common part number (Coupes/Sedan/Convertible) in Europe is 84 41 6 915 047 English language version. Why it is not listed in the US parts database is not clear...
Sorry, but I'm still a little confused about what I need to order. I got the following part
number for the SES module from Pacific BMW:

84-11-0-139-765 E46 KIT 1 283.65

The part number you quote is different. I have a 2005 E46 sedan so perhaps it's a different module??? This seems unlikely to me. Is the part number different for the european english version that for the US (maybe the accent ). Someone else
mentioned that there was an old one and a new one. Anyone have any idea which
is which?

Also, I assume I need to order some mounting hardware, right? How much of what's
pictured in the attached jpg do I need? Is this the same stuff as for the sedan?

What bugs me about this is that the description for the part number I got is "E46 KIT"
and doesn't refer to the SES module. Since I'm ordering this stuff and having it
shipped, I really want to make sure I get the right thing (and everything I need).
Old 03-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrocker
Sorry, but I'm still a little confused about what I need to order. I got the following part
number for the SES module from Pacific BMW:

84-11-0-139-765 E46 KIT 1 283.65

The part number you quote is different. I have a 2005 E46 sedan so perhaps it's a different module??? This seems unlikely to me. Is the part number different for the european english version that for the US (maybe the accent ). Someone else
mentioned that there was an old one and a new one. Anyone have any idea which
is which?

Also, I assume I need to order some mounting hardware, right? How much of what's
pictured in the attached jpg do I need? Is this the same stuff as for the sedan?

What bugs me about this is that the description for the part number I got is "E46 KIT"
and doesn't refer to the SES module. Since I'm ordering this stuff and having it
shipped, I really want to make sure I get the right thing (and everything I need).
Hi

That's the part number of the SES that I have, which costs $265.00 in Circle BMW; it is for E46 Sedan and Coupe. It seems that the SES have gone thru several versions/revisions, thus the reason of so many part numbers. The newest part number that I can recall is 84 41 6 915 049 (thanks to Terry Kennedy). The last time I ask for the price of this new SES P/N at my local dealer it was some $500.00... so I went ahead and ordered the one from Circle (your same part number) and it nicely works for my M3 Coupe, for both the phone and the Nav.

You will need a bracket for your SES only if you want to... I used first a left over foam wrap from another installation, wrapped it up and taped the sucker to an existing harness in the left side of the trunk, but then I changed to velcro and it is as solid as factory. If you still want the bracket you should buy it at the dealer because the one in the www.realoem.com/bmw is an old part number that looks like is it for E46 up to 01 (I ordered that one and returned it).

Last edited by Technic; 03-07-2005 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 -w- Everything
I just asked the service guy for a quote on the voice command recognition option - installed. He said the voice command recognition option was not available for my car (see sig for details).

Pointers to irrefutable evidence that he is incorrect would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikerider
I just asked the service guy for a quote on the voice command recognition option - installed. He said the voice command recognition option was not available for my car (see sig for details).

Pointers to irrefutable evidence that he is incorrect would be greatly appreciated.

If your car has a blue 54 pin connector in the left side of the trunk, and a button in the steering wheel just below the R/T that illustrates a person's face like "talking", then your car can have the separate, accessory SES module installed... even by yourself, it is a DIY, plug 'n play add on.

Check the part numbers above with your dealership or call Circle or Pacific for availability and prices.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the lateness answering, I was out of country...

I would first make sure that your US CiC has the 54 pin blue connector somewhere in your trunk for the SES before buying anything; if it follows the Coupe and Sedan wiring path that connector should be wrapped in a foam sleeve -with a Fakra antenna connector beside it too- on the left side of your trunk ...

The attachment in my previous post come from www.realoem.com/bmw, an extremely helpful site for BMW parts information.
Ok, so I found some wiring and a blue connector wrapped on the left side of the
trunk. The wires seem to be connected to a big, flat rectangular module which
is mounted above where the DVD for the NAV and other electronics are mounted.
I assume this is the BT/assist module. The wires and connector are wrapped
in a black sleeve which seems to be made of thin foam and closes with velcro.
It's very hard to access as it's hanging out behind some structural supports for the
back end of the car (I could only get one hand in there), so I wasn't able to
see if the connector inside was unconnected or was plugged into something.

So, what's a Fakra antenna connector? I may have seen this too, but I'm not
sure.

So, does it sound like I found the fabled blue connector for the SES module? Sorry
to be so dense about this, but I've not yet gotten anyone at a BMW dealership
in the area to admit that my car can use this module, let alone confirm any
of the part numbers that have been floating around the forum. Given the
uncertainty, I'd like to be able to confirm from the official sources that what I'm
buying will actually work.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Ok, so I found some wiring and a blue connector wrapped on the left side of the
trunk. The wires seem to be connected to a big, flat rectangular module which
is mounted above where the DVD for the NAV and other electronics are mounted.
I assume this is the BT/assist module. The wires and connector are wrapped
in a black sleeve which seems to be made of thin foam and closes with velcro.
It's very hard to access as it's hanging out behind some structural supports for the
back end of the car (I could only get one hand in there), so I wasn't able to
see if the connector inside was unconnected or was plugged into something.

So, what's a Fakra antenna connector? I may have seen this too, but I'm not
sure.

So, does it sound like I found the fabled blue connector for the SES module? Sorry
to be so dense about this, but I've not yet gotten anyone at a BMW dealership
in the area to admit that my car can use this module, let alone confirm any
of the part numbers that have been floating around the forum. Given the
uncertainty, I'd like to be able to confirm from the official sources that what I'm
buying will actually work.

The SES connector should look like this:

Photo courtesy of Terry Kennedy

The Fakra antenna connector is for the bumper antenna if you are using a cradle for the phone.

I'm using the SES module, which part number is 84 11 0 139 765, with an Assist TCU with no Bluetooth but with a V60i integrated into the car feature list. So technically it should work in your car as well if you have the connector and the voice button in the steering wheel...
Old 03-05-2005, 09:34 PM

Quote:
The SES connector should look like this:

Photo courtesy of Terry Kennedy

The Fakra antenna connector is for the bumper antenna if you are using a cradle for the phone.

I'm using the SES module, which part number is 84 11 0 139 765, with an Assist TCU with no Bluetooth but with a V60i integrated into the car feature list. So technically it should work in your car as well if you have the connector and the voice button in the steering wheel...
Thanks for the quick response. Attached are pictures of the connector I found. It
looks similar to yours but it doesn't look like it has 54 pins. It has two
rows of pins, each row can't be more than 12 or so pins. I tried to remove the
black cover to get a better look but I couldn't figure out how. I didn't want to pull
on it too hard.

Any idea what this is? By the way, I do have the "person speaking" button on my
steering wheel and I use it to place and answer phone calls with bluetooth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ses_conn1.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	45852   Click image for larger version

Name:	ses_conn2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	45853  
Old 03-06-2005, 06:21 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. Attached are pictures of the connector I found. It
looks similar to yours but it doesn't look like it has 54 pins. It has two
rows of pins, each row can't be more than 12 or so pins.
I tried to remove the
black cover to get a better look but I couldn't figure out how. I didn't want to pull
on it too hard.

Any idea what this is? By the way, I do have the "person speaking" button on my
steering wheel and I use it to place and answer phone calls with bluetooth.
That is the SES connector and it has 26 pins... all this time I was wrongly stuck in saying that it was a 54 pin when that number of pins are for the the Assist/Bluetooth module 54 pin connector, just because both are blue. D'oh!

I apologize for the confusion.

The jumper plug that you see in the connector is the black and blue assembly:

The actual SES connector shoud look like this:

Photo courtesy of X5World.com

To separate the jumper from the connector, press down the tab that holds the white locking "handle" and rotate the handle down towards the jumper plug (the tab being up and the jumper plug being down). Then pull out the jumper plug...

That's it... when you have your SES just plug the sucker to this connector, press and hold the the steering wheel voice button and it should come up right away with a beep and waiting for one of these voice commands to be spoken:

Quote:
Available Commands

(Courtesy of FlyM5 - BMWM5 board)

If you just say "HELP," the system mentions that there are 3 help commands:
HELP NAVIGATON
HELP PHONE
HELP NOTEPAD

Unfortunately I can't seem to find reference to anything that works the stereo or DSP.

Below is a list of all the commands mentioned by the HELP commands:

Help NAVIGATION:

Route map
Navigation
Scale 400 feet
Scale 800 feet
Scale one quarter of a mile
Scale half a mile
Scale one mile
Scale two point five mile
Scale five mile
Scale ten mile
Scale twenty-five miles
Scale fifty miles
Hotels as current location
Parking lot as current location
Restaurant as current location
Gas station as current location
Hotels at destination
Parking lot at destination
Restaurant at destination
Gas station at destination
Save current position
New route
Instruction
Instruction off

Help PHONE:

Dial number
Dial name
Add name
Delete name
Play phonebook
Clear phonebook
Redial

Help NOTEPAD:

Record note
Play notepad
Clear notepad
http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/crew/u...%20Control.pdf

Hope that this helps...

Last edited by Technic; 03-06-2005 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:15 AM

Quote:
That is the SES connector and it has 26 pins... all this time I was wrongly stuck in saying that it was a 54 pin when that number of pins are for the the Assist/Bluetooth module 54 pin connector, just because both are blue. D'oh!

I apologize for the confusion.

The jumper plug that you see in the connector is the black and blue assembly:

The actual SES connector shoud look like this:

Photo courtesy of X5World.com

To separate the jumper from the connector, press down the tab that holds the white locking "handle" and rotate the handle down towards the jumper plug (the tab being up and the jumper plug being down). Then pull out the jumper plug...

That's it... when you have your SES just plug the sucker to this connector, press and hold the the steering wheel voice button and it should come up right away with a beep and waiting for one of these voice commands to be spoken:

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/crew/u...%20Control.pdf

Hope that this helps...
OK, now we're getting somewhere

Thanks very much for the clarification and extra pictures. Now all I need to do is
to figure out where to mount it. As I mentioned, this wiring hardness is shoved
behind a bunch of stuff and it looks like I may need to unbolt some of the electronics
to be able to pull it all the way out. You don't happen to have a picture of where
you mounted yours? If not, could you tell me on which side of the NAV DVD it
was (closer to the rear or front of the car)?
Old 03-06-2005, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
This kind of stuff is what the internet is all about, very cool!
Old 03-06-2005, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r
This kind of stuff is what the internet is all about, very cool!
Imagine how hard this would be without digital cameras...
Old 03-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
OK, now we're getting somewhere

Thanks very much for the clarification and extra pictures. Now all I need to do is
to figure out where to mount it. As I mentioned, this wiring hardness is shoved
behind a bunch of stuff and it looks like I may need to unbolt some of the electronics
to be able to pull it all the way out. You don't happen to have a picture of where
you mounted yours?
If not, could you tell me on which side of the NAV DVD it
was (closer to the rear or front of the car)?
Your welcome...

The SES in the photo below is the silver box (with the bar code sticker and the blue connector on the bottom) just above the shock tower. I mounted it there because of your same concerns of having to move everything to mount it behind the HK amp and the Nav rack; I found it too complicated for what it is. I ultimately used velcro and attached it on upper side of the shock tower where it does not interfere with anything.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	45882  

Last edited by Technic; 03-07-2005 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:38 AM

Part number info acquired

I traded mails with someone at Circle BMW and got the following info:

84 11 0 139 765 is the part number for a "kit"
which includes the SES module and assorted mounting
hardware. This kit is $265 but is no longer
available. This is the part number quoted by
Technic.

84 41 6 915 049 is the part number for the SES
module itself and this module is included in the
above kit. This module is $402 and is currently
available. This is the part number quoted
by Terry Kennedy.

I find it odd that the kit is discontinued and is listed
as cheaper but the module itself is still available.
This person claims that the SES module is "old
technology" and is being phased out by BMW.

I still need to research further but wanted to pass
along this info. I'm not sure it's worth $400
to be able to talk to my car. Part of me thinks
that I would install it, show all my friends, then
never use it
Old 03-09-2005, 04:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 -w- Everything
Sorry to be so dense but I just want to restate what I think I understand for confirmation before I get started:
  • My 2005 330i with NAV, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Assist *IS* compatible with the voice command recognition module (SES).
  • The SES module *IS NOT* listed in the US parts database.
  • The most recent version of the SES module compatible *WITH MY CAR* is (84 41 6 915 047 - Euro parts database/English instructions) and should list as costing ~ $500.
  • A bracket may be required which I *CAN* obtain from my local dealer
  • The SES module is connected to a *26 PIN BLUE CONNECTOR* (not a 54 pin blue connector) located somewhere in the left side of my trunk.

Reassurance that I have all the correct info would be greatly appreciated.

#750 (BTW: What's this part number for? 84 41 6 915 049)

Last edited by trikerider; 03-09-2005 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:20 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikerider
Sorry to be so dense but I just want to restate what I think I understand for confirmation before I get started:
  • My 2005 330i with NAV, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Assist *IS* compatible with the voice command recognition module (SES).

• The SES module *IS NOT* listed in the US parts database.
  • The most recent version of the SES module compatible *WITH MY CAR* is (84 41 6 915 047 - Euro parts database/English instructions) and should list as costing ~ $500.[/b]
  • A bracket may be required which I *CAN* obtain from my local dealer
  • The SES module is connected to a *26 PIN BLUE CONNECTOR* (not a 54 pin blue connector) located somewhere in the left side of my trunk.

Reassurance that I have all the correct info would be greatly appreciated.

#750 (BTW: What's this part number for? 84 41 6 915 049)
If you car is a Convertible then your information is correct.

P/N 84 41 6 915 049 is the SES for Sedan/Coupe.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 X5
SES Jumpers Identification

Does anyone know how to identify the wires on the SES Jumper?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to dmel
Mein Auto: 2005 330xi
Quote:
If you car is a Convertible then your information is correct.

When I searh realoem.com for my 330xi (USA), I see P/N 84416915047 listed... are you sure about the 049 instead of the 047?

See http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=84&fg=30
Old 03-29-2005, 07:35 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmel
When I searh realoem.com for my 330xi (USA), I see P/N 84416915047 listed... are you sure about the 049 instead of the 047?

See http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=84&fg=30
The -049 part is the newest SES module (or just the newest part number?) available. I could not find it in the realoem/bmw parts site either but it is in the dealer's ETK.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Uber Olive Brain

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Will the SES work in an '05 sedan without Nav (but with Assist & BT)?
Old 03-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo
Will the SES work in an '05 sedan without Nav (but with Assist & BT)?
Yes...
Old 03-31-2005, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325i
Anyone Purchased SES Module Lately?

Has anyone purchased a SES module lately?

Today, I called Pacific and was told that the 84-11-0-139-765 is ~ $400 including tax and had to be special ordered. Part # 84 41 6 915 049 was quoted at $600+

My call to Circle was even more interesting. They said that the first part doesn't exist. They asked what it was and I told them it was an SES kit for the E46. The guy then said that they wouldn't sell it if they had it and haven't sold one since October 04. When I mentioned that from what I'd learned on this board, people seem to have bought it recently for $265, they denied this!

I wonder whether anyone has bought either module recently, where they got it, and what they paid.

Many thanks.