Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 330ci
Steering Feels Light

I've noticed this for the last few weeks. The steering wasn't like this before. It's a bit more vague and less communicative. It's not in my head, I've other friends drive my car to confirm this.

I can't pinpoint a cause. What could it be? I recall clearly the days when it was tight and just perfect for my needs.

Other than a thicker rear sway bar, are there other alternatives to improve the steering feel/handling of the car? (assuming there's nothing wrong mechanically)

Advertisement
Old 01-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by fso_BamBam
I've noticed this for the last few weeks. The steering wasn't like this before. It's a bit more vague and less communicative. It's not in my head, I've other friends drive my car to confirm this.

I can't pinpoint a cause. What could it be? I recall clearly the days when it was tight and just perfect for my needs.

Other than a thicker rear sway bar, are there other alternatives to improve the steering feel/handling of the car? (assuming there's nothing wrong mechanically)
Have you checked your tire pressure lately? Overinflated fronts could make your steering feel lighter....

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 01-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 E46 330i
Caused by good weather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
Have you checked your tire pressure lately? Overinflated fronts could make your steering feel lighter....

Alex
Exactly, and we have had seriously warm weather that coincides with his loss of steering feel. Tire pressure goes up 1 PSI for every 10 degrees F, and the road gets pretty hot with all this sunshine...
Old 01-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Shakin' and Bakin'

Mein Auto: '05 325Ci
Stupid tip, but check your power steering fluid....if it's low it can make the steering feel weird.