Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 01-26-2005, 01:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to hecklerz
Mein Auto: '07 E90 328i
Question Need help with basic mods

Hi all,

I thought a good entry level mod (considering my total lack of knowledge working on cars) would be to swap the side indicators for clear and replace the interior lights for a xenon bulb set. I bought both kits from Bimmanian. Well, I was able to pop in all the interior xenon lights except the rear reading set and cannot figure out how to install the side indicators.

First the interior lights. I can pry the housing (over the shoulder of the rear passengers) open with a flat screwdriver just a little, before it gets very resistant and won't open any further. I'm hesitant to really force it because it feels like it's catching on something that may snap. Is there a trick or method to opening this housing? All the others popped open very easily.

Next the clear side lights. I tried to follow the install guide on Bimmanian's site, but can't really figure out what it's showing me to do. It looks like you're supposed to push or slide the light to the side to relase a catch then it is supposed to pull out. I can't get it to budge. Is it stuck on with an adhesive? Do I need to remove something from the interior of the engine compartment first? I have a 2005 E46, by the way.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

KH

**Looking for an E39 540, 530 or X5

----------

Retired:

*2006 E90 325i- Ti-Silver Metallic, Black leather, Heated seats 6Sp Step. , ZPP, ZSP, NAV, Adapt.-Xenon, BT to iPhone

*2004 E46 325i- Silver Grey Metallic, Black Leather- heated, 6sp Step. , ZSP, ZPP, Xenon, Nav- V.26, BT to Blackberry
Ads by Google
Old 01-26-2005, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecklerz
Hi all,

I thought a good entry level mod (considering my total lack of knowledge working on cars) would be to swap the side indicators for clear and replace the interior lights for a xenon bulb set. I bought both kits from Bimmanian. Well, I was able to pop in all the interior xenon lights except the rear reading set and cannot figure out how to install the side indicators.

First the interior lights. I can pry the housing (over the shoulder of the rear passengers) open with a flat screwdriver just a little, before it gets very resistant and won't open any further. I'm hesitant to really force it because it feels like it's catching on something that may snap. Is there a trick or method to opening this housing? All the others popped open very easily.

Next the clear side lights. I tried to follow the install guide on Bimmanian's site, but can't really figure out what it's showing me to do. It looks like you're supposed to push or slide the light to the side to relase a catch then it is supposed to pull out. I can't get it to budge. Is it stuck on with an adhesive? Do I need to remove something from the interior of the engine compartment first? I have a 2005 E46, by the way.

KH
This thread should probably be moved to the DIY Forum. There should be some folks there who can help on this.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
hecklerz, in regards to the side markers:

I don't remember whether the "catch" is on the front or the back, but when I did it, I found it useful to use a credit card do slide behind the marker to push the catch in.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstream23
This thread should probably be moved to the DIY Forum. There should be some folks there who can help on this.
Ok, I see that it has, thanks for the suggestion. I posted it here because I thought the issues may be 3 series specific. But the DIY forum makes more sense.

----------

Retired:

*2006 E90 325i- Ti-Silver Metallic, Black leather, Heated seats 6Sp Step. , ZPP, ZSP, NAV, Adapt.-Xenon, BT to iPhone

*2004 E46 325i- Silver Grey Metallic, Black Leather- heated, 6sp Step. , ZSP, ZPP, Xenon, Nav- V.26, BT to Blackberry
Old 01-26-2005, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL

I don't remember whether the "catch" is on the front or the back, but when I did it, I found it useful to use a credit card do slide behind the marker to push the catch in.
Ok, I'll try that when I get out of the office. Thanks!

----------

Retired:

Old 01-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL

Yah those things are a pain! My drivers side is especially difficult.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:40 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlance
Just do it slowly or you might break the spring clip thing off and have it fall inside the body panel. Since you are putting in a new side marker, it'll have a spring clip of its own, but the old one would end up rattling around inside the body panel and will drive you nucking futs.

(Don't ask me how I know )

Old 01-26-2005, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
Just do it slowly or you might break the spring clip thing off and have it fall inside the body panel. Since you are putting in a new side marker, it'll have a spring clip of its own, but the old one would end up rattling around inside the body panel and will drive you nucking futs.

Hahaha, I can imagine how irritating that could be. Thanks for the tips

----------

Retired:

Old 01-27-2005, 07:10 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity

And how did you fix that problem? Or are you still futs?

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 01-27-2005, 10:25 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
And how did you fix that problem? Or are you still futs?
You make the person that lost the clip inside the fender fish it out!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2005, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecklerz
Hi all,

KH

how much did you pay for your car out the door?
Old 02-27-2005, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330xi sapphire black
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlance
Funny thing about those side markers...
When I installed mine, someone recommended I put a cloth around the end of the flat head screwdriver I used to pop my side markers off.
Unfortunately I used too much force, and the screwdriver ripped *through* the rag, and caused a 1.5" scratch on my car!

For anyone reading this who will change their markers in the future, don't use a metal object!