Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Question About to purchase HID's for my 01' e46 sedan... final advice

OK,
I'm at the 11th hour in my purchase lingering about buying these headlights...

I've checked posts on here, etc and found a whole bunch of info...

Here are my options:

1. Projector46s from Umnitza or jlevi. $790
2. OEMs from Beekers for $1200
3. OEMs from Pacific BMW $1200
4. Used OEMs on eBay for about $700

I just thought about calling Pacific BMW since I didnt like the Bekkers price all that much... Does anyone have any final recomendations?

Oh, and someone with access to the parts database, these are the part #'s Pacific BMW gave me. Are they the same part as the Bekkers ones? I think Bekkers are Gemran imports--is there a difference between the US and EU Xeons then?

Oh, for what its worth: Pacific did not recommend I do this because I'd have to "cut some of the wires"

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 01-20-2005, 03:49 PM

Oh and does anyone have any opinions on whether or not I should do the black inner housing or the titanium? I haven't seen an upclose pic of both to tell what would look better on my car (car is silver, see signature)
Old 01-20-2005, 04:19 PM
I AM CANADIAN!

Mein Auto: 2001 330i TS/BLK
I'd go with the Bekkers OEM xenons as they come with a relay to get rid of your bulb out warning. And I'll go with the black headlight trim since you have a silver car. I replaced my tatinium trim with black and it looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77
Oh and does anyone have any opinions on whether or not I should do the black inner housing or the titanium? I haven't seen an upclose pic of both to tell what would look better on my car (car is silver, see signature)

2001 330i Titanium silver, Black Leather, Steptronic, Premium Package, Clears, M3 Steering wheel with paddle-shift, M deadpedal, M3 trunk lip, M Aerodynamic kit, First-Aid kit, Warning Triangle, CD changer, Black Headlight Trim, Gloss black front grills, H&R cupkit, M3 RSMs, RD sway bars, Clubsport Splitters, and more...
Old 01-20-2005, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. Do you happen to have a pic of the black headlight trim? Whats stock on halognes?
Old 01-21-2005, 01:56 AM
I AM CANADIAN!

Mein Auto: 2001 330i TS/BLK
Here's 2 bad pics, but you get the idea.

2001 330i Titanium silver, Black Leather, Steptronic, Premium Package, Clears, M3 Steering wheel with paddle-shift, M deadpedal, M3 trunk lip, M Aerodynamic kit, First-Aid kit, Warning Triangle, CD changer, Black Headlight Trim, Gloss black front grills, H&R cupkit, M3 RSMs, RD sway bars, Clubsport Splitters, and more...
Old 01-21-2005, 02:36 AM
Astigmatic Visionary

Mein Auto: 325Cic-Topaz-Sand
Option 5; It's your car and money but I could find much better things to drop that kind of cash on.Either for the car(performance bits) or better yet have a blast at Skip Barber in Lime Rock.YMMV Enjoy whichever!
Old 01-21-2005, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: Something German
Here are OEM xenons (bought off ebay $300 had 2 broken tabs but I fixed them) with $100 DDE's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	presnow2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	43231   Click image for larger version

Name:	presnow3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	43232  

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT
E30 M3 Sold, E36 Sold, E46 Sold, E90 Sold
Old 01-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
I know Clarke and I won't change your mind, but I agree with him... I've owned an E46 with and without Xenons. Although the Xenons are an ok gadget, I loved the E46 halogens. If I would have bought my current car new, I would not have paid for the option.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
I know Clarke and I won't change your mind, but I agree with him... I've owned an E46 with and without Xenons. Although the Xenons are an ok gadget, I loved the E46 halogens. If I would have bought my current car new, I would not have paid for the option.

Although I love my xenons, and they definetly are brighter then the halogens, you are correct, the BMW Halogens are some of the best I have ever had on any car I have owned. Definetly not a detriment to own.

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT
Old 01-21-2005, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek
Here are OEM xenons (bought off ebay $300 had 2 broken tabs but I fixed them) with $100 DDE's
Are those the titanium inserts or the black ones? And you added the DDE's fro umnitza? I think that looks nice.. Think thats a better option than purchasing the 346s with the DDEs already built in then?
Old 01-21-2005, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77
Are those the titanium inserts or the black ones? And you added the DDE's fro umnitza? I think that looks nice.. Think thats a better option than purchasing the 346s with the DDEs already built in then?

Long story lol!! I had Halogens and I bought Umnitiza's E46 Projectors with the DDE's and HID's built in. They were definetly a good product they may be a little different now then when I bought them. One thing I didnt like was that the ballast you had to mount somewhere as with OEM its part of the housing. Other thing was I wasnt to much a fan of the color of the DDE's they were to bluish for me and I wanted more whitish or OEM looking ones like the 5 series.

Basically I was browsing around and I found a set of OEM's really cheap bought them and sold the E46 projectors. The housing is titanium it came with black but I had bought titanium housing from Circle BMW years ago for like $50 so I just switched out the black for the titanium.

As for the DDE's they are autotechnics, they didnt have a wiring harness but I built that myself. But if you go on e46fanatics, there is a company called Leistung Motorwerkes in the sponsors forum, they sell the same ones I have with a wiring harness for $100.00.

I like these better then the ones I had built in mostly because of the color. And as you can see they light up nice in cold weather, that pic was taken in 20 degree weather before the car had warmed up.

http://www.leistung.tk/

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT
Old 01-23-2005, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek
Long story lol!! I had Halogens and I bought Umnitiza's E46 Projectors with the DDE's and HID's built in. They were definetly a good product they may be a little different now then when I bought them. One thing I didnt like was that the ballast you had to mount somewhere as with OEM its part of the housing. Other thing was I wasnt to much a fan of the color of the DDE's they were to bluish for me and I wanted more whitish or OEM looking ones like the 5 series.

Basically I was browsing around and I found a set of OEM's really cheap bought them and sold the E46 projectors. The housing is titanium it came with black but I had bought titanium housing from Circle BMW years ago for like $50 so I just switched out the black for the titanium.

As for the DDE's they are autotechnics, they didnt have a wiring harness but I built that myself. But if you go on e46fanatics, there is a company called Leistung Motorwerkes in the sponsors forum, they sell the same ones I have with a wiring harness for $100.00.

I like these better then the ones I had built in mostly because of the color. And as you can see they light up nice in cold weather, that pic was taken in 20 degree weather before the car had warmed up.

http://www.leistung.tk/

I had the EXACT same experience. I had the Projector46s for a while and was not too impressed with the build quality. Sold them and bought OEM Xenons from Ebay and the build quality is so much better. They also have better projectors with proper cutoffs so the pattern of light they throw out is much more precise and therefore, more useful. Get OEMs.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:14 AM
www.umnitza.com

Mein Auto: ///M
we are working hard to improve the Projector46s.
In fact, they all come with ballasts that are attached to the headlights now, no external mounting anymore.

Additionally, they are D2S. Integrated angel eyes are usually a good way to go.

BTW - for a "cheap generic" - here's a good link for you to look at if you just want angel eyes:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=1#post2343409

Call US! 877 486 6489
Available: 9am-5pm M-F